Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowmadness101

Thuja Green Giant Help!!!!

bowmadness101
10 years ago

I planted these thuja and they came shipped to me with slightly yellow, redish color they have been in the ground for about 1 1/2 months now and the color seems to be getting worse? Are they dyeing or just still getting there root system adjusted to the planting and will soon grow out of this?? I planted 400 of them... What do you all think? I have talked to nursery and not to fertilize with 13-13-13 it will kill roots at this stage of the trees age. Also was going to spray around all trees for weeds but she stated not to as well its not necessary at this point either because of the age I take chance of killing them, I was going to put a cut out top 5 gallon bucket over each one and spray around the bucket??? Help me what is going on with these too much time, love and money spent and look like there dyeing maybe??? Just give it more time and they will come out of it? Planted here in southern Iowa around april 14th now may 25. also have you noticed in the pic the side that has all the sun exposed is more redish in color and then underneath or behind its still nice green???

This post was edited by bowmadness101 on Sat, May 25, 13 at 10:57

Comments (7)

• bowmadness101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more pics

This post was edited by bowmadness101 on Sat, May 25, 13 at 9:04

• bowmadness101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thoughts?

• thetman
    10 years ago

there are alot of people who know more about this I do- but it does seem that they may be competing with all that grass. ( do you mow around all 400 of them? yikes). I would try somehow of eliminating more of the grass area around them. As for the color shipped to you, they may have just still had some of their winter bronze on them ( assuming they were grown outside- but I would think that the smaller ones are grown inside and therefore should have been more greenish when delivered). What is your watering routine for these? Also I know on some of my GG's that the soil quality has a lot to do with the color. Some of mine get kinda chloric because the soil in that area is just not a s good.

• bowmadness101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Honestly I planted them all 400 down at my southeast hunting farm in Iowa and when we planted them we soaked them good and then are relaying on rain, which we have had plenty, averaging around 6 inches per month about a solid .5-.75 inch kept week almost seems like to much rain alot of moisture in soil when I check it. I live 3 hours from farm so hard to water every other day even if i wanted. I don't mow around the trees at all I had a bucket to go over them and the. Spray around with that 2-4-d stuff but nursery told me not to but local forester said I should i dunno ??? Confused on it all. Thanks for your I info all and any would be greatly appreciated. Sure hope they don't die alot of time work sweat and money into these 400 trees :)

• carl2009
    10 years ago

A contest between a tiny newly planted rooted cutting against exsisting grass without any clearance seems like an unfair battle. Sod is going to dominate and steal every bit of water and nutrients, and your survival rate is going to likely be lower than you would prefer. At a bare minimum I would think a clearance of an 18 inch cleared area around the new tree and a couple of shovels full of mulch might improve your chances since you can't be there to baby them. A lot of work I know. Good luck.

• bowmadness101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree I think that they are competing too much with the grass and weeds?? Anyone else think that maybe that's it? Or do you all think they still need time to adjust to there new home and then the green will come back? The soil is a clay soil as well. The thujas I planed where 2-3 feet in high heres a pic of what they looked like when I first received them before planting them.. hey all keep your thoughts and ideas coming greatly appreciative.

• bowmadness101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

additional pic before we put them in the ground in April

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler