Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sluice

colorado plateau

sluice
11 years ago

Went west for a couple of days over the holiday weekend.

Juniperus osteosperma, near Moab UT.

{{gwi:704491}}

Juniperus osteosperma

{{gwi:704493}}

La Sal mountains, the second highest mountain range in Utah after the Uinta range.

This is the western side, and there were fires on the eastern side over the weekend.

J. osteosperma and Pinus edulis at the lower elevations.

Pinus ponderosa a little higher up.

Not sure what's beyond that, as we did not make it too far due to the fires.

{{gwi:704495}}

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

ya know. the other day.. when it was 97 .. i actually wondered what it would be like to jump in the car.. and
    drive to elevation ...

that first pic is gnarly ... lol ...

sublime.. thanks

ken

• Cher
    11 years ago

I'd love to have that dead tree cut and placed in my yard. :) Very cool! The mountains are beautiful!
    Cher

• Simoni
    11 years ago

Beautiful photo! Please have any.....

• botann
    11 years ago

If you visit the west in the summertime, head for the mountains, not the low desert. My wife and I went took a trip last summer down from Montana through Wyoming, South through Colorado, and then to New Mexico, and back. We crossed the Continental Divide 28 times coming and going. I don't recall ever needing the air conditioning.
    Nice pictures, Sluice! Thanks.
    Mike

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Nice, as always Nate.

tj

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

Nate,
    I dreamed always about such nice dense dwarf osteospermas in the garden. Did you give her any name? (Organic conifering)
    Wow, thanks

Zsolt

• sluice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken, Cher, Simoni, Mike TJ, and Zsolt!

Zsolt, I did not think to collect from that one, possibly next time! Although I did get cuttings from this roadside beauty.
    Juniperus osteosperma (not yet named)
    {{gwi:704498}}

Here is another nice Juniperus osteosperma that was up on the Uncompahgre plateau.
    {{gwi:704501}}

Dolores river
    {{gwi:704506}}

Road along the Dolores river, an enjoyable drive through a remote area
    {{gwi:704509}}

Juniperus osteosperma and Pinus edulis on the Dolores river canyon walls
    {{gwi:704512}}

Another view of the La Sal mountains
    Juniperus osteosperma and Pinus edulis
    {{gwi:704515}}

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Nate,

Again thanks for the tour in the car.

My kind of country. I love the rock formations and of course the free range conifers.

Do I owe you any cab fare?

Dave

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    11 years ago

Nice tour - I traveled through some of this area a number of years ago and took a picture of what was probably a p. edulis growing out of a crack in the rocks in the Dead Horse Point parking lot overlooking the river - looked a lot like those in your last picture. I have looked high and low but can't find it in my image library. It amazed me that something could grow in those conditions.
    Marshall

• groem
    11 years ago

Ah takes me home, I grew up in southern utah. That is exactly what it looked like. Red rock in all directions, sage brush, juniper and pinyon trees. The trips down south just don't happen often enough.
    You mention taking cuttings. Can these juniper be readly propigated by cuttings? Any sugestions? It would be nice to get some little bit of where I grew up.

• sluice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave, Marshall, and Groem, glad you enjoyed these.

The junipers can be propagated by cuttings, by putting them in a mix of mostly perlite and keeping them moist.