Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
colorado plateau

Posted by sluice z6a CO (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 9:22

Went west for a couple of days over the holiday weekend.

Juniperus osteosperma, near Moab UT.

Juniperus osteosperma

La Sal mountains, the second highest mountain range in Utah after the Uinta range.
This is the western side, and there were fires on the eastern side over the weekend.
J. osteosperma and Pinus edulis at the lower elevations.
Pinus ponderosa a little higher up.
Not sure what's beyond that, as we did not make it too far due to the fires.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: colorado plateau

ya know. the other day.. when it was 97 .. i actually wondered what it would be like to jump in the car.. and
drive to elevation ...

that first pic is gnarly ... lol ...

sublime.. thanks

ken

o

I'd love to have that dead tree cut and placed in my yard. :) Very cool! The mountains are beautiful!
Cher

o

Beautiful photo! Please have any.....

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, May 30, 12 at 15:42

If you visit the west in the summertime, head for the mountains, not the low desert. My wife and I went took a trip last summer down from Montana through Wyoming, South through Colorado, and then to New Mexico, and back. We crossed the Continental Divide 28 times coming and going. I don't recall ever needing the air conditioning.
Nice pictures, Sluice! Thanks.
Mike

o

Nice, as always Nate.

tj

o

Nate,
I dreamed always about such nice dense dwarf osteospermas in the garden. Did you give her any name? (Organic conifering)
Wow, thanks

Zsolt

o

Thanks Ken, Cher, Simoni, Mike TJ, and Zsolt!

Zsolt, I did not think to collect from that one, possibly next time! Although I did get cuttings from this roadside beauty.
Juniperus osteosperma (not yet named)

Here is another nice Juniperus osteosperma that was up on the Uncompahgre plateau.

Dolores river

Road along the Dolores river, an enjoyable drive through a remote area

Juniperus osteosperma and Pinus edulis on the Dolores river canyon walls

Another view of the La Sal mountains
Juniperus osteosperma and Pinus edulis

o

• Posted by dcsteg 5b Shawnee, KS. (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 12 at 18:47

Nate,

Again thanks for the tour in the car.

My kind of country. I love the rock formations and of course the free range conifers.

Do I owe you any cab fare?

Dave

o

Nice tour - I traveled through some of this area a number of years ago and took a picture of what was probably a p. edulis growing out of a crack in the rocks in the Dead Horse Point parking lot overlooking the river - looked a lot like those in your last picture. I have looked high and low but can't find it in my image library. It amazed me that something could grow in those conditions.
Marshall

o

• Posted by groem z5 utah (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 22:41

Ah takes me home, I grew up in southern utah. That is exactly what it looked like. Red rock in all directions, sage brush, juniper and pinyon trees. The trips down south just don't happen often enough.
You mention taking cuttings. Can these juniper be readly propigated by cuttings? Any sugestions? It would be nice to get some little bit of where I grew up.

o

Dave, Marshall, and Groem, glad you enjoyed these.

The junipers can be propagated by cuttings, by putting them in a mix of mostly perlite and keeping them moist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here