Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garden tour

Posted by sluice z5b CO (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 9:31

This year, the Denver Botanic Gardens annual spring home tour included the conifer garden of Jerry and Saunny Morris.
Let's dig right in.

In the back yard, a patio featuring Picea pungens macro bonsai. The sign says "Japanese Garden. This is our favorite summer evening sitting place...a cup of coffee and a cookie...oh yeah! (more pruning to be done)"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garden tour

oh man.. speachless ... but i will go on anyway

i often tell the peeps to turn off the computer.. and go tour some places..

but jerry morris ...

wow

ken

o

A few more.

o

row of bonsai, and a graft

o

Wow!

I'd like to get into bonsai eventually but I can only marvel at the skill and patience needed to nurture these amazing plants. The pictures undoubtably don't do them justice.

o

Be forewarned! Jerry said he has collected brooms for decades, but found that a recent excursion into bonsai has triggered an even deeper conifer addiction. ;)

The Doug fir in the second to last picture is his latest acquisition from the mountains. Root pruned weeks ago, then carefully excavated by hand late last week, keeping the rootball intact with multiple bungie cords, strapped onto a backpack frame, and carried over steep terrain 3/4 mile to the pickup truck. I can only dream of doing something like that at the age of 77. He explained that he still needs to adjust the positioning of the trunk to get the correct angle, and will heavily prune the top section. But apparently, this tree has the underlying form he can work with.

I'll take a page from Ken's book...

Here is a link that might be useful: cedrus bonsai

o

Under photos "A few more" I really like the weeping and prostrate spruces in pic 2 and 3.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here