Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lghamm

Alternative to Skyrocket Juniper

lghamm
10 years ago

I live in the suburbs north of Denver. I've had 3 skyrocket junipers for about 7 years that I've been happy with them in the narrow space I have to work with. I have a small back yard on the west side of my house and they are in a 6â wide bed along the west fence. I've tied them up every winter, but this year I did not as they have gotten too tall for me (about 12 ft.). They were severely damaged by snow load this winter and I need to replace them. I would like to get something similar in size and shape that doesn't have to be tied up every winter. I'm considering "Blue Totem" spruce. I'd like to know how those have worked out for other people who are concerned about snow load. Any other suggestions? I have clay soil and wind is not a problem.

Laura

Comments (14)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

I've had the occasional branch to be clipped off of my Juniperus virginiana 'Taylor' plants, otherwise, they hold up beautifully to snow. They're also quick-growing when established. Others:
    Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire'
    Thuja occidentalis 'Hetz Wintergreen' aka 'Hetz Pyramidal' aka 'Wintergreen' - if you have room for height, this is a great grower and will become 35' tall and 6-8 feet wide in 20-years. I have 30+ of them and I recommend them all the time. If you choose these, do not purchase them from Musser Forest because in small print they state that their plants are seedlings of this cultivar. You don't want seedlings, you want the cultivar which is propagated thru cuttings and will always be 'clonal'.

Blue Totem I don't have experience with but member dcsteg has several of them. Hopefully he will chime in.

Dax
    P.s. Your zone info you list as 10. That's incorrect. Near Denver will be somewhere around 5b-6a is my guess. You should change that on your profile.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Laura,

Is the fence chain link or wood.?

Picea pungens need full sun 360 around for balanced growth.

There are two similar cultivars of this species offered. 'Blue Totem' and Iseli 'Fastigiate'. The 'Blue Totem has a narrower upright growth habit then 'Iseli Fastigiate' and the one to use if you go for it. Other wise they are similar in color and shape.

Most nursery stock offerings I see range from 24 " + in width, If you go with 24" that only leaves you with 2' of free space to the fence assuming you center them at 3'. If chain link OK but in 5-7 years they will be in the fence. If solid wood fence no. Then again you can go with the smaller 1.gal size but you will be years from achieving the look you want.

Heavy snow loads are not a problem for this cultivar.

You might want to consider single leader uprights such as Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire' instead of 'Blue Totem'. I am growing 3 of them. They are 12' high x 2' wide. Usually available at your larger nursery's .

Under no circumstances buy multi-leader offerings or you will right back where you were with the Skyrocket junipers.

I left you a link.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Degroot's Spire

• lghamm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really appreciate these responses. I corrected the zone in my profile. I don't know if the "10" was a default setting or if I was really that clueless when I first started lurking here at GardenWeb. :) Thanks for pointing that out, Dax.

The fence is wood, and I would not have guessed the need for 360 degree sun for the Blue Totem. You saved me from a big mistake! I wasn't considering the DeGroot's Spire because the website for one of my local nurseries stated that it does best in shade. If you don't think that should deter me, I will go with the DeGroot's Spire--single leader only!

Laura

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Go for them. They're extremely attractive. They do best in full sun but Thuja occidentalis is very tolerant to shade.

Dax

• sluice
    10 years ago

The Woodward juniper is another great choice. Single leader, and handles snow load well.

You might need to call around to find it. I picked up a few last year from Echter's in Arvada.

Fort Collins Wholesale Nursery grows them.

Here is one at the Denver Botanic Gardens.
    {{gwi:601691}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

sold as Picea pungens 'Iseli Fastigate' .. from hidden lakes... which might mean gee tree back in ... may 2001 .... after many MI snow and ice storms ...

ken

{{gwi:706187}}

my de groots
    {{gwi:242866}}

• gamekeeper
    10 years ago

"Degroots Spire" has done well here in N.H.,both full sun and partial shade,quite strong wind never a problem at all.

• lghamm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today I checked out to the biggest nursery I know within an hours drive (40 acres of fun), but they only had 3 Degroot's Spires and they were all multi-leader. I'm starting to think I'll have to buy baby trees online and raise them myself. Or decide I want something that is more readily available.:)

Sluice, no luck with a woodward juniper either. I will head down to Echters soon and see if I have any luck there.

Thanks again, all of you!

Laura

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

You might also consider Picea glauca 'Pendula' or any of the many narrow forms of Chamaeycparis nootkatensis. Both tolerate shade so I think they would be ok on the wooden fence side. Either should be available at local nurseries too

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Laura,

If you are going to stay around for a time in your present house buying small would be the best way to go for you.

I purchased these Degroot's 4 years ago at 1 ' tall. All single leader offerings. $2.50 each. Now 3' tall.

Honestly I think the 'Degroot's would give you the look your after. The Woodward Juniper also a good fit but hard to find.

Knowing what area of Z.5 you live in might get you some more help from those hang around on this forum.

My 3 'Degroot's

{{gwi:695158}}

Dave

• lghamm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave,

I live in the suburbs near Denver, Colorado. If I get my wish, I will never move. Thank you for the photo. Yours look so great, I may order 5 babies. Did you purchase those online?

Laura

• Heidi Hulett
    2 years ago

Which ones did you end up going with and how do they look?

• plantkiller_il_5
    2 years ago

7 years ago

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs