Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchengarden1810

Looking for narrow fast growing evergreens for screening

kitchengarden1810
13 years ago

Hello,

I'd like to add some evergreens to a border and am looking for something narrow but one that gets tall as 30 ft (or more)- White Pine Fastigiata was suggested but I've had a hard time locating it locally. There are currently some deciduous trees and a couple of 8-10 ft junipers that we are keeping in the border. We'd like to add these evergreens in that border for winter privacy screening.

Any other suggestions for a narrow evergreen? Fast growing is important as well! We have lots of arbor vitae already and wanted something different (and taller) on this side of our property.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Comments (15)

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Why would you want a narrow fast growing conifer for a screen. What's to gain when they all grow together and become one screen. It would take twice as many plants to accomplish the same thing 'Green Giants', Juniperus virginiana, or other numerous screening conifers out there. Not to mention the price savings associated with less plants purchased.

Dave

• kitchengarden1810
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your quick reply and question.

I should clarify that these would be added in to the current border that we have between properties- so they would be filling in several holes between a couple of deciduous trees and a few smaller evergreen shrubs. There isn't a lot of space between my and my neighbor's driveways as well as a garden/pond area. I'm trying to be a good neighbor and not put in something that will get huge (width-wise) and make it hard for gardening or be objectionable to the neighbors. The purpose of adding these is for visual privacy.

I hope that explains it better but please let me know if still questions. I appreciate the input and discussion.

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

One that should radially available through your local nursery is

Picea abies 'Cupressina' is a good narrow choice.

You didn't mention if the blue conifers were a consideration. Picea pungens 'Pendula is another narrow up right if staked when young.

Find a nursery that will special order your conifers for you. Most won't turn down a sale and they will piggy back your order with theirs.

Dave

• kitchengarden1810
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion of the spruce. It looks like a good idea - if not here then another area of the property. From the sources I checked it was described as average to above average growth rate though. I was looking for something very fast growing so hence the interest in Pinus strobus "fastigiata". What do you think of that fastigiata White Pine? I'll call some nurseries to see if they can special order.

A blue conifer would be fine I think ( I hadn't thought of it) but don't know about the one you mentioned - I think I would rather have something upright at the onset. But maybe you can educate me on how much work that is to do. Also let me know more about why you mentioned the blue conifers. I'm not that familiar with specifics - only thing I recall is that blue spruce is beautiful but slow growing. Please inform me! :)

And I am interested to hear comments about the "Fastigiata" White Pine too.

Thanks again.

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Scroll through my link. Of course all don't apply regarding your needs as this is a garden of conifers with deciduous plants inter dispersed. Pick and choose your narrow tall favorites.

Hit view all... or do as a slide show.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: daves conifers

• ademink
    13 years ago

Dave...what is in picture two, growing out of the "head" of the japanese maple?? It's green, upright and funky.

• ademink
    13 years ago

391 pics later and holy cow...I am astounded!!!!

Unbelievably beautiful, Dave - WOW, WOWI just found 50 more trees I need for my yard LOL...I'm taking down the neighbors fence! :D

The above mentioned thing growing out of the japanese maple's "head" appears to also be in pic 285 ...maybe...? I can't tell for sure.

Thanks for sharing the photos and sorry for hijacking the thread :)

Andrea

• gardener365
    13 years ago

From the get-go, upright & quick:
    Picea glauca 'Pendula'
    Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace'
    Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Jubilee'
    Thuja occidentalis 'Malonyana' / 'Hetz Winetergreen' - if you don't have.
    Juniperus virginiana 'Taylor'
    Juniperus virginaina 'Blue Arrow'

Dax

• kitchengarden1810
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks very much gardener365 for the list. I'll check them out.
    Which ones get as tall as 30 ft, but stay narrow?

Anyone else have thoughts on 'Fastigiata' White Pine?

Thanks for all help!

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Ademink

Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'. About half leafed out.

kitchengarden...Here is a link for Pinus strobus 'Fistigiata'.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus s.' Fastigiata'

• gardener365
    13 years ago

kitchen - all of them will. Do yourself a favor and scratch Pinus strobus 'Fastigiata'. When it ages it splays open similarly to the width of a regular White pine tree. There is a cultivar however, 'Stowe Pillar', that doesn't splay apart and is an exceptional-tree.

Dax

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

I thought about 'Stowe Pillar' but discounted as it didn't reach the fast growing height requirements you wanted.

The one I would choose but a slow grower and to about 10 ft. in ten years according to most information out there.

Dave

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Heya Dave, 'Stowe Pillar' will begin to grow more than a foot a year after it puts down some good roots. We'd probably be look at 7-8 years away, but then it'll stomp out some growth.

That's pretty much the same story for most all trees, we just discount that there are varying times when a tree is growing more or less.

I wouldn't swear to it but I think from a very long time ago I saw 'Stowe Pillar' plants on Larry Stanley's website and they appeared to be producing candle-growth of 2'. As I say, that was a while ago.

Cheers,

Dax

• kitchengarden1810
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dax and Dave,
    Thanks to both of you for contributing. I've been thinking about the 'Fastigiata' - and will consider the points made. It may not matter that it spreads open as it ages - but need to think about that. I'm also wondering if it may not get big enough for my needs - have seen some places say 30 ft ht at maturity (others say up to 50-60) and this is for Fastigiata. hmm, will need to check specs again. Dave, I've seen links of it before but thanks for posting your link, it was helpful of course.

This is quoted from one link I saw (link below) - ''Pinus strobus 'Fastigiata' - a narrow, upright vased to ascending columnar form, with branches that hug close to the central leader in youth, becoming more spreading with age, maturing at 60' tall by 20' wide'' at link below from Ohio State.

Dave, are you saying 'Stowe Pillar' would grow 10 ft in 10 years -or were you referring to a different tree?
    Dax, good reminder about the time it takes trees to get established and then start to shoot up.

I googled Larry Stanley and didn't find anything specific - also other than back to GardenWeb sites here. Any help on that appreciated. Is Larry Stanley a wholesaler or informational/educational/blog?

Still thinking and considering but need to make decision soon since I would like to plant this spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for Pinus Strobus and var. 'Fastigiata'

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Here's Larry Stanley's info on 'Stowe Pillar'. Stanley & Sons Nursery is a wholesale nursery and their inventory is always changing. They do sell retail but there are requirements that pertain to the # of plants needed to qualify for an order.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus strobus `Stowe Pillar' Product Page