Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ireena_7

My new project - Pinetum - finally is started

ireena (zone 5-6)
10 years ago

Finally I started to work on my major project!:).

I was inspired by my friends from GW - Richard, Sam, Edwin, Dax, Zsolt, Will, Dave, Ken, Mike - thank you all for your support and advices!

My garden is overcrowded now, but I don't want to stop to collect conifers:) Now I have 3 ha meadow, and there will be my new Pinetum...

It is just begining - empty meadow and there's nothing.... I'll try to show you the process of making. Maybe you will be interested. I will be grateful for your opinions:).

Ireena

I found in the forest big stones - maybe I will use this hill too... for some rock plants.... I think - nice landscape....

Ireena

Comments (17)

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

congratulations!

• arceesmith
    10 years ago

That is very exciting news - I look forward to seeing your progress! It looks like a wonderful plot of ground to work with. And look at all those great rocks to work into your design. A dream come true for you. :^)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Ireena, as a friend said to me, 'keep planting, you'll be glad you did.' : )

Dax

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Oh Ireena, you're making me very jalous which such a nice piece of land!
    Also the rock part is very nice to create a natural rock garden!
    If I would live in your neighbourhood, I would like it very much to help you in planting the new stuff.
    In any case I'll help you with some very nice conifers for this project. :0)
    Good luck and please, keep us informed.
    I'll see you soon here at my nursery!

• barbaraincalif
    10 years ago

That's 7.4 acres guys!

Looking forward to watching your meadow evolve into a Pinetum Irenna. It would be a dream come true for many of us....

Keep us updated,
    Barbara

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

This will be a very nice setting indeed for your Pinetum. It's nice that you've got plenty of full sun, shade, and everything in between, so you can accomdate a great variety of plant material. I love the moss growing on your rockery (last pic), it gives it a look of great age. When you plant in between the rocks, you shold try not to disturb the moss as little as possible to maintain that look.

What do you plan to do this season, what will you do first? It will be very interesting to see your pinetum unfold. Post lots of pics, please.

Alex

• botann
    10 years ago

Nice piece of land! Congratulations Ireena.
    Will wind be an issue? Will you have to plant a windbreak?
    Will you have to irrigate?
    Any animals that might be a problem?
    What are you going to do first?
    Will you be moving there in the future?
    You must be very excited. I know I was when I first bought my land.
    Again, congratulations. It's a big step.
    Mike

• ogcon
    10 years ago

The slopes appear to provide nice drainage and of course
    the horizons are ready made for a wonderful long range
    and satisfying project.Beautiful indeed!Doug

• liopleurodon
    10 years ago

That is great news!
    Those forests around it will probably give it a fantastic view.
    Keep us updated!

• mesterhazypinetum
    10 years ago

Conifer Master Ireena,
    I guess you know that this great field is not the same as the small garden around the house. In the next 10 years you may plant so many as possible, but nothing visible for the eye. (ask Dax)

Outer and inside borderlines may reach 1000-1300 meters. This may need 3-5000 quick growing pines or spruces, or Thuja plicatas from a forestry nursery. Just for microclimate, and avoiding hard winds. I have unlimited quantity of Thuja plicata Euchlora seeds, the hardiest thuja. You can import from Russia seeds of Abies sibirica, Picea obovata, different Larix specieses. Abies lasiocarpa seems also a good idea, in Finland they have big forests of it, or mountainous pines (cembra, flexilis, rotundata, pumila etc)

If you are ready with the Pinetum forest in 2025 the big form cultivars may also planted. Never dream about vaste rock gardens there, its better if you transport some smaller rocks to home.

Around 2030 you may enjoy the Pinetum as a sightseeing program. Wish you the best to this game. Sometimes helps a perfect planting program, and knowing this you will see the future garden as a fundamental vision. This is the most important for lifetime plans. You will see a future, meanwhile the present doesnt show anything.

Zsolt

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

how far from your home... will you build a house on the property ... ???

that is not far.. from what my horse pasture lot looked like 12 years ago ....

i am honored to be one of those who inspired you ...

do you have water on the site???? because of my hosta.. i was forced to put in irrigation.. and in doing that.. i put in about 20 spigots around my 5 acres .... its not hard ... nor that expensive ... and having water nearby.. is imperative ...

i see i am the same page as mike/botann ....

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Wow! I guess Mike asked most of my questions.

Congratulations. A long term project that just gets better with age.

Just keep us informed

Dave

• sluice
    10 years ago

Wonderful! Thank you for taking us along! Looking forward to watching your pinetum develop over time.

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, I am amazed and delighted with your interest!:) For me is very important your opinion and experience.

I inspired and learned a lot from you all...

Thank you Ken for bed making idea - with Roundup and woodchips:).... And I love your sense of humor:))))

I like a lot Dave sophisticated bed edges (curves) and very tasteful garden design...

I love Mike fantastic old garden - park with so wonderful color harmony and rocks...

Zsolt taught me to be curious and precise. And never stop to look.

I admire Will of his plant diversity and his patience and obsession with conifers.

From Edwin I took over the idea of âÂÂâÂÂsetting up my own Pinetum. And I like his accuracy (orderliness) everywhere. But he have the artist's soul in plant breeding and selection :)

Dax, I inspired by you and sow Quercus macrocarpa acorns (seeds from USA). Now I have 10 little oaks for my meadow:) And 4 Quercus coccinea...

Richard is Picea lover - like me. His garden is very understandable and close to me:)

I would have to write a very very long letter to answer all your questions. But I would definitely do it! In parts :)

Ireena

• cryptomeria
    10 years ago

Hi Ireena,

Congratulations! Beautiful place for your project.

But keep care. Here in Germany this would be not possible without a fence round each plant. We have too much deer in the woods.

Wolfgang

• Simoni
    10 years ago

Hi Irena,
    We wish you much power and vigor!
    L+M S

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

how is the project progressing?

ken