Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dse1_gw

Need advice on Cupressina Spruce

dse1
16 years ago

I am a novice with conifers and need some advice. We planted a Cupressina spruce 8 foot B&B about 1 year ago. This spring, it has had lots of new growth particularly at the top. The problem is that the lower third of the tree has been losing needles. What I can't tell is if this is "normal" or if there is actually a problem. I water it about once a week, so I don't think I am over/under watering. My question is, should there be any needle loss this time of year, or does that indicate there is some problem? Any advice is appreciated. It is a gorgeous tree, so I would love to make sure I am caring for it appropriately before it is too late!!

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

interior needles .. or the tips/ends of the branches.. a picture would sure help ...

all conifers shed interior needles sooner or later .. complicated by the stresses of transplant .. they don't hang on forever ...

extremely stressed or dying plants lose whole branches ... perhaps sacrificed for the upper portion of the tree ...

watering is sufficient.. when your finger inserted to at least three inches.. or a small hole to the known root ball .. indicates the soil is cool and damp .... allowing to nearly dry before watering again ... with rain and drought.. etc.. its impossible to do it by the calender ... or the time of watering.. only you can tell what the water you supply is doing in your soil ...

a picture would further my thoughts... ken

PS: smaller trees transplant easier.. recover faster and will outgrow larger trees in the long run .. next time.. go smaller and save some money ...

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Should have same new growth and old needle retention throughout. Where I am many spruces have mature needles sucked and caused to fall early by spruce aphids. However, your cold climate may not have this problem or it may be the wrong time of year. If you can't post a picture here or figure out what is going on looking at web pages on other sites about spruce ailments, clip an affected branchlet and take it to Cooperative Extension office, Master Gardener clinic or trusted independent nursery (the latter at a slow time, like Monday morning, when you can easily get undivided attention).

• dse1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks both of you for the advice. I will definetely post a picture (but it will be a few days as I am out of town). It is losing needles at the tips of the branches, but only in the lower portion of the tree. From a distance the whole tree looks fine, but I am worried on close inspection. We planted some bright gold yews, weeping Norway, Siberlocke fir, globe blue spruce, Daub's juniper, and Hoopsii blue spruce at same time and all are doing fantastic. We have a large back area which we are planning on some more exotic choices (you guys got me addicted)

Ken, we did initially request a "small" Cupressina - due mostly to cost consideration. However, our landscaper thought the specimen they delivered was unacceptable, and the nursery allowed him to select whichever he wanted. So he picked the largest, best looking specimen he could find. So we didn't pay any extra for it - but your advice is well taken!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Burning or defoliation of new growth does indicate a definite problem.

• dse1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bboy, I will have to shoot a photo when I get home. New growth is perfectly fine. It's some of the existing growth that is losing needles. What is the easiest way to post a photo (sorry for the another novice ??).

• conifers
    16 years ago

photobucket.com is a free compatible website. Upload your photos and afterwards, there are three lines below each photo. What you want is the middle line... Left click then select "copy", at which point a "copy" message flashes and then, you simply bring that line back over here and paste it within this box.

Here's my photobucket account. First photo, I'll copy the middle line and paste it here:
    {{gwi:709061}}

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Dax's Photobucket Account

• dse1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are the photos. I can't tell if I am over-reacting or if there is something not right. There was plenty of new growth - I just didn't expect needle loss in the spring. It seems that it is mostly affecting the tips of the lower branches (but not any of the new growth). Could it just be that it still not quite re-established from being transplanted (now 1 year ago)? Note that some of the needle of the affected branches are brown at the tips.

• spruceman
    16 years ago

Well, let me chime in here with a little more optimistic note. Your pictures don't make me think this tree is in bad shape. It has been just a little over a year since it was planted. You are in Minnesota, where I believe things can be a bit harsh--very cold and windy, and sometimes rather dry also. So this rather large transplanted tree was not really established in its new home yet and had to face some tough conditions.

It is also at the corner of your home--that could increase the exposure to winds, even if it is a leeward corner. And maybe in really tough weather some snow blows around, especially nearer the ground.

All these things make me think that what you are seeing can be a natural reaction of a tree that probably won't be fully established for another year or two, at least. And I would be more worried if the symptoms were more in the top of the tree.

If the problem persists for another year or two, then all I can think of would be a soil test to make sure that the tree has the proper level of nutrients, including magnesium. Get back to me here if that is the case.

But for now, I would not worry--I think your tree looks fine, all things considered.

--Spruce

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Looks like it got a bit dried out along the way. Be sure the whole root areas stays moist.

• dse1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HELP!! UPDATE: It's now 2 years later. My poor tree is getting far worse. We had a very harsh winter, but it is quite clear something is badly wrong. I am losing all the interior needles. They are turning brown but it you look closely there are also little black dots on them as well. Could this be Cytospora? Is there anything I can do at this point? Even if I treat it, will it ever regrow the interior growth? Thanks for the advice. I almost died tonight when I found my old photos.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z62/dsepstein/IMG_1053.jpg
    http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z62/dsepstein/?action=view&current=IMG_1054.jpg
    http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z62/dsepstein/IMG_1055.jpg
    http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z62/dsepstein/IMG_1056.jpg

• dse1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• dcsteg
    14 years ago

Hit the link and scan down to the second column.

Just a guess on my part but worth looking into.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhizosphaera Needle Cast

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

i think its time to divest ... no matter what your level of attachment ...

previously stressed conifer ...

perhaps planted a bit too close to the house ...

perhaps lacking proper sun requirements..

perhaps a malady ... per dave's suspicions ..

add that all together.. and this plant is NOT bringing you happiness...

even if you fix it some how.. you have at least 5 years of looking at this thing ... which personally .. would irritate the bee gee bees out of me every time i walk by ...

i know you have a lot invested in it.. money .. time... emotions... but sometimes its better to just move on ... been there .. done that ...

planting something that will bring you happiness every time you walk by ... will do do much for your state of mind...

sorry

ken

• dse1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Appreciate the advice all. I took a clipping to a local nursery today and they are convinced it is not a fungus, but a watering issue. Ken I think you are right the problems started from the very beggining. Probably was too big a tree to transplant or too stressed (they planted it in the middle of summer!!), so was probably bad from the start. Also, it get a TON of sun and is on a slight slope, so ground dries out very quickly. The grass on that slope is not doing well either, so I suspect watering is the real problem.

So two questions:
    1) I don't see any reason to do anything until fall - but until then, how do I ensure that I am watering it properly. Do I need a moisture meter.
    2) Ken, if this was easier to replace, I would do as you suggested. But the tree was planted close to a underground gas line. I wouldn't trust myself replacing it with that there, so I would have to have a professional do it - that is, if they could even successfully remove the current one. I would imagine regardless that would be quite expensive. This was such a unique tree (I know, not for most of you), it's hard to admit it needs replacement.

• dcsteg
    14 years ago

Did you buy this conifer from the same nursery you took the clipping to?

I tend to be very suspicious of their amateurish diagnosis unless you spoke to a trained horticulturist.

Black spots on leaves or conifer needles need expert analysis to determine what the real issue is that is causing you problem.

I would remove it now. I would bet if a couple strong hands grabbed hold of that tree you could pull it right out of the hole. In its stressed condition probably no root growth has taken place.

After you have it out of the ground hose the root ball to expose root structure. You could find there is not enough root structure there to promote its ability to grow and be healthy. If that's the case there's your answer to you problem. If not then disease and I revert back to fungus is the villain. What ever the cause I would clean up the planting area to the extent not one needle is left in the mix to re-infect your new planting.

Dave