Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_head_maisy

Anyone have pictures of Van den Akker or Picea Blue Falls?

Daisy_head_maisy
10 years ago

HI I bought Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Van den Akker'
and Picea Pungens "Blue Falls" from a nursery based on what they told me they would look like in 10 years. I just did a google image search and the pictures coming up are not what was described but they all look so different I think some must be mislabeled?

I'm wondering if anyone has pictures of mature conifers so I can make sure these will fit in with my landscaping plans.

They described Van Den Akker to grow up looking just like Pendula but much narrower. The pictures I'm seeing online look like a green straight stick with a bit of width only at the bottom and I want something with some weeping arms all the way up.

They described Blue falls as a small 15' tall 7' wide tree that will stay vertical but have dramatic weeping arms. The pictures I'm pulling up online show a tree laying on its side!

Doing research I'm wondering if Weeping Alaskan Jubilee or Green Arrow may be more what I'm looking for? (tall, narrow (10 feet wide or less), with dramatic arms and and full of character) Thanks!

Thanks so much for your help - I'm finding that selecting small conifers is tricky business!

This post was edited by daisy_head_maisy on Mon, May 13, 13 at 11:38

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

You will get weeping arms here and there, almost all the way up in time. Known over 70' tall in the Seattle area. Van Den Akker family grew/grows it as 'Pendula'.

• Daisy_head_maisy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woah - Van den Akker gets 70 feet tall???

They told me it would top out at 10 feet tall and 3 feet wide!

• ricksample
    10 years ago

They never stop growing... given enough time, they will get larger than 70'. Most sizes people give are the 10 year size. It probably grows at least 1' per year times 10 years is 10' tall after 10 years. Multiply some more... 20' tall in 20 years, 30 feet tall in 30 years, etc. Depending on how old you are, it'll probably never reach 70 feet in your life time

Picea pungens 'Blue Falls' is really Picea pungens 'The Blues'.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if you add pungens to the blue spruce name.. you might have better luck on google ...

see link.. review info on CONIFER SIZES ... its all about the annual growth rate.. google full latin name and add ANNUAL GROWTH RATE .... and you too can predict height over time ...

but do understand.. buy something that makes your toes tingle.. even if you have to get rid of it in 10 years.. rather than suffering with some plain old piece of carp.. because it will fit there ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Ken are you maligning those that plant fish in their gardens???
    :-)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I had a weeping Nootka cut down recently that I planted from a 5 gallon pot. The trunk (below forking) was approaching 2' in diameter, the annual growth 2'-3' per year some years.

• botann
    10 years ago

I have a few Nootkas to take down also. Not near as large as yours, but in the way of my developing garden. They are taking up too much room where they're at, even if I limb them up some more. Scale is off too.
    Mike

• Daisy_head_maisy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. Thanks so much for the info everyone!

I'm laughing that "Blue Falls" and "The Blues" are the same - the guy at the nursery said that Blue Falls is a new and rare cultivar that nobody else in the area would have.

I also recently planted a weeping white spruce that was supposed to top out at at 10 feet so I'm really glad you gave me that growth rate link - I may have to relocate it now while it's small.

I had no idea that they would keep on growing forever - I really wish they had specified that when I was shopping - I may have to rethink where I am planting some of these. Do they continue to grow wider forever also?

For the Blue Falls - if I want it to grow upwards do I need to stake it? They said it would grow that way naturally but as I google image search for it now it shows a lot of them laying down. Should I just find a really long stick and tie it to the trunk?

Thanks again so much - I'm learning much more on this thread than I did after several days of visiting nurseries!