Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbaraincalif

ID: Cedrus libani var. atlantica species or cultivar?

barbaraincalif
10 years ago

Posted the same question about this unnamed Cedrus several years ago when is was yellow and looked to be a prostrate grower. Dax said to stake it, while bboy suggested it needed fertilizer...unfortunately for me both were right! It is now 5 feet tall and Atlas blue, but with a tinge of yellow on the new growth.

Since I only post one photo at a time, thought it best to start with a picture of the base of the tree to determine its mode of propagation: if it's a seedling the answer is obvious, but if grafted we'll need to explore further.

Does this show a root collar or graft union?

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would rule out the root collar.. as there is trunk below.. not roots ...

ken

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Clearly grafted. Stock is more vigorous than scion, and lean implies root deformities - something that is pretty much universal on grafted conifers presented at outlets here - so if top gets big and heavy later, it may go over at some point.

Looks like a blue Atlas cedar but is partly yellow sounds like 'Aurea Robusta', which is what is generally seen. Outlets usually have it labeled 'Aurea'.

• barbaraincalif
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I suspected it was a graft union but wanted to be certain.

This photo is of the new growth, which has just a tinge of yellow. It has been kept fertilized so don't believe it is a nutrition issue....this time.

• barbaraincalif
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...and here is the tree.

Hardened growth is the typical color of an Atlas cedar, but since it is grafted I'm wondering what cultivar it might be?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Needed to get out of that pot awhile ago, be sure to work on the roots at planting. If you find there is a corkscrew or turnip of roots at the base, throw it away. This condition is frequent on grafted conifers and other container stock here and may be considered more or less terminal - I've had long-established shrubs fall over in snow, pivoting over on turnip root knots formed when they were left in 4" pots too long at the production nursery.

Tree is so blue at this point it might be taken that you bought a starved blue Atlas cedar which has almost finished regaining its color.

• barbaraincalif
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're killing me Ron...it's in a 15 gal and larger pots are hard to find at a reasonable price!

So would a propagation nursery graft a generic Cedrus libani var. atlantica? I thought they were seed grown...please correct me if that assumption is wrong.

Thanks,
    Barbara

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Barbara, are those coastal redwoods behind in the last pic?

• barbaraincalif
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes they are beng! Planted around 17 years ago....

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

I don't think it's your standard Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca' as the branches on your tree look pendulous and the branches on 'Glauca' usually go straight out and up. Of course the branching structure varies and some can look a little pendulous but all your branches look quite pendulous and different from the young 'Glauca' trees I'm familiar with.

If it's not a straight staked Cedrus atlantica 'Pendula' then I would say that it may be Cedrus atlantica 'Cheltenham'. That's a great find as there aren't many of those out and about. I think it may be rare in cultivation. I purchased a 'Cheltenham' last fall from singtree.com and it looks just like yours. Mine is just a little smaller. It has a strong central leader with horizontal and pendulous branches with a nice bright blue color. I staked it anyway. I wanted it straighter

What ever the tree is, it's a nice looking tree! =)

This post was edited by garen59 on Sat, May 4, 13 at 14:17

• barbaraincalif
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info garen! Will you please take a close look at the new growth to see if it corresponds with my observation that it has a slight yellowish cast to it?

A gooogle image search came up with photo from firefighterWill that looks to have the same new growth characteristics ...though that may just be wishfull thinking. What do you think?

Hope he doesn't mind that I'm posting his photo here...

firefightergardener's Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Cheltenham':

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

I took a look at mine today and didn't see any hints of yellow new growth like yours. I'll keep an eye on it. Your tree looks quite a bit brighter than mine as well.

I don't think it's 'Aurea Robusta' as the that tree stays yellow on the top foliage that receives the most sun and blue on the underside. But then again I think Dave has one that doesn't seem to yellow up much at all. I would be curious to know if his just has hints of yellow in the new growth as well.

Looks like you still have a mystery tree.

• barbaraincalif
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for checking on the new growth of yours garen59! You're right, it's not very blue either, especially when compared to the Picea pungens cv. in the background of my photo.

Up until late fall when a storm tore up my shadecloth, this tree had been tucked away in a corner without any direct sunlight. I'll sacrifice a larger pot for I've been hoarding, put the tree out into the full sun, and see what happens!

Thanks again for your help,
    Barbara

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

One last thing. I found this picture on singtree.com of a 'Cheltanham'. The close up shows the new growth with pale yellow and the structure looks quite like yours. I'm no expert but that looks to be the best match and the cultivar I would definitely lean towards.

I'm glad your moving your tree to a bigger pot. If you have the space I would put it in the ground in a full sun location soon so that it's roots can be free and thrive. You'r going to have bad root problems with a large tree like that in pots if you don't already.

Again, that's a nice looking tree =)