Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picea_gw

Calocedrus Berrima Gold

picea
14 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for Calocedrus Berrima Gold other than Forest Farm? They are showing it as sold out.

I am also trying to find out if Thuja Plicata Irish gold is available in the US.

David

Comments (12)

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

I bought mine from Coenosium gardens a couple years ago. One of the first conifers I purchased. I believe bonzai bob from Ebay also sells them. Give it a search once in a while.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

'Irish Gold' is being sold over here also.

• nikkie_in_toronto
    14 years ago

I have never had good luck with this plant. I had one a few years ago that died last summer. It might have been a bad dig because it didn't have much of a root system. It did come thru 0F/-18C in 2008 without damage. I have another one that I recently purchased but I'm not quite sure how to care for it. I've been told to keep it dry, and at the same time I've been told treat it like a fir (regular water/good drainage). I was also told it would like some shade, but then I was told it would only have good color in full sun. I'm not sure what the hardiness is on it. I'm quite confused. I did hear that Maupin Glow was hardier which I don't know is true?

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

'Maupin Glow' is a very interesting, albeit different incense cedar. It's thickly varigated with BRIGHT gold/yellow patches. It's gold might be brighter then 'Berrima Gold' but Berrima gold is pure gold most of the year.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

'Berrima Gold' has the soft yellow mature coloring with orange new growth combo that is to die for. I brought some small rooted plants back from England in the mid-1990s but the one I kept for myself didn't make it. When I bare-rooted them to meet phytosanitary requirements the roots immediately got that "we don't want to be out in the air" appearance that does not bode well for the outcome with such plants.

I also brought back 'Irish Gold', which did make it. Grew it for a time along the front drive, although not long enough for it to get to any size - don't remember what I did with it now.

Appears to be a sort of 'Zebrina' with an orange cast, maybe a little stronger shade of yellow. I've seen numerous all- or partly yellow branch sports of western redcedar here in its native area, so it's not surprising there would be multiple yellow forms on the market - probably with at least a few of them mixed up.

A curious thing is that the very old species name for western redcedar Thuja lobbii continues to be used to some extent in the local trade for cultivars of it. When I worked at a local nursery during the 1980's they were growing and selling one of the hedging-type cultivars as "Thuja lobbii" (and pronouncing it lobe eye).

Currently a retailer in another town is displaying 'Zebrina' or a similar form as something with a two-word combo including "Lobbii", maybe "Lobbii Variegata".

• picea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The winter orange color of 'Berrima Gold' seems very desirable but there is very little information on the net about this cultivar and very few sources. I even looked for Berrima Gold on the Oregon Association of Nurserymens website's plant search and there was only one nursery listed as having it.

The pictures of Irish Gold also look very nice. Unfortunately I can't find any sources for it either.

David

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Probably the 'Irish Gold' I saw at an outlet here were from Stanley & Sons. 'Berrima Gold' eventually made it to the Northwest Flower & Garden Show one year, where one several feet tall generated interest when used in one of the "show gardens".

I remember it being mentioned that Coenosium Gardens has sold this cultivar. I have also seen it at local garden centers a few times.

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Thuja plicata 'Irish Gold' is the same as 'Zebrina Extra Gold', it's a more golden yellow mutation found on 'Zebrina'.

Calocedrus decurrens 'Berrima Gold'

• nikkie_in_toronto
    14 years ago

Hi everyone. I didn't know if anyone would know much about Calocedrus aureovariegata or is is variegata? I have Berrima Gold, but it appears to be slightly tender and needs some protection. Does anyone know if aureovariegata is hardier? Does anyone have a picture? I know the species is hardy in zone 6.

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Hi Nikkie,

I think it's hardier, it's a German selection but there's no information availlable if the 'Aureovariegata' is found as a seedling selection or a mutation.

Calocedrus decurrens 'Aureovariegata'

• nikkie_in_toronto
    14 years ago

That is an exquisite picture, coniferjoy. thank you!

• nikkie_in_toronto
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone. I need some help and advice. After a fairly mild Cleveland Winter low of -17C (2F) my newly planted Berrima Gold has some moderate/severe winter dieback and burn of the late summer growth (we had an extremely mild October and November 2009). Ive read that Calocedrus is not a plant that recovers well from damage. What should I do? Also I also have on order for a large and expensive Calocedrus aureovariegata for this spring. As coniferjoy stated above he thought it was hardier than Berrima Gold. I was under the impression these would be hardy in zone 6? Thank you for any suggestions or opinions.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus