Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Snow in May???

outback63 Dennison
10 years ago

I have nothing to do. I planned it that way. I needed a break after hands and knees work in the garden for the last two weeks.

As you can see raining here. Good.

Predicting 3-5 inches of wet weight bearing snow. Not good. Could be a game changer and I could be up all night shaking leafed out trees and bent conifers. Whatever it takes. I am not going to set back and watch this once in a hundred year event do me and my garden in.

Stay tuned. We will see where it goes. Hope they are wrong again.

Today at 11:am. Cold rain. Temp is 37 F. and dropping. North wind, 20 mph.

May 2nd 2013.

Dave

Comments (21)

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

That's crazy! Your garden looks amazing today, as usual I might add. How deep is it from the deck to the tree boundary in this pic? Trying to get some perspective for what I can do with mine...

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Wish you the best! That much snow would certainly be a disaster as far along as your trees are, especially if you get the upper end of the estimate... Are you stocked up on coffee/hot chocolate for the night?

John

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Best of luck with this storm Dave. Hopefully it will be a ' swing and a miss' for ma nature.
    `AL

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Hopefully they are wrong, they usually are. However, the one time you need them to be wrong, they will be right.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Wishing you well Dave, We don't want it either.

• Cher
    10 years ago

Hope it misses you. Have a friend your way and she was just telling me the same thing. Your current photo above is beautiful.
    Cher

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just started.

4:00 PM

Temp 33 F.

{{gwi:711449}}

Dave

• Scott
    10 years ago

We got about 3-4 inches of heavy snow but it didn't hurt anything. You are getting what we got last night. It is pretty much gone now as we speak. (or type I guess)

This post was edited by ingeborgdot on Thu, May 2, 13 at 18:32

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Well, Dave, it is a National Day of Prayer...improved weather seems to top a lot of folks lists.

tj

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Happens every now and then. Once got a centimetre of the stuff on 2 June, a few years ago.

Resin

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Nice weather aye?

Dax

• zsolti_hungary
    10 years ago

Have you heared about global cooling?

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Many years ago we had snow in May here in MA, just as the leaves were unfolding. It was a disaster with thousands of wires down from broken branches. The place I worked at was shut down for one week with no power. I really hope you don't get anything like that.

Jon

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dodged the bullet because temps remained in the 33-34 F. range. They say we would have had the potential for 12 inches with temps 32 F. or lower.

1 inch of the white/wet stuff and it's melting.

Others close by received 3-4 inches and weren't so lucky.

I did have to wrap a 'Gold Coin' and a 'Morgan' as they were splaying open.

Now maybe we can get back to what this time of the year is about..Spring.

Zsolti...global warming last year. Global cooling this year. One year at a time. I think this will be a good year for the garden with abundant moisture.

wannabeGardnr ...from the end of deck to the tree line 60 ft.

Happy conifer gardening to all. I appreciate your concerns.

Dave

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Glad you came through it Ok. Had about 1/2" snow accumulation and 32 degrees when I got up this morning. No apparent damage, just a weird scene all the way around with trees leafed out and snow on them.

Arktrees

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave,
    Now you have a story to tell over the years - we had snow in May!

• arktrees
    10 years ago

We are now forecast to get a couple more inches accumulation of snow overnight tonight.

Arktrees

• barbaraincalif
    10 years ago

Checked in on you first thing this morning and was glad to hear all went well Dave. Do you guys ever run sprinklers for frost control?

Barbara

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

This morning it was 35 degrees at my house. The record low for this date is 33 degrees. Tonight's low is predicted to be 36 degrees and the record low is 35 degrees.

I am sure there are places in MA that have had lows well below the record lows.

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would you believe we had a dusting of snow again last night.

35 F. now. Everything in good shape.

Dave

• botann
    10 years ago

That is cutting it close!
    It got down to 31F. a few nights ago here. No damage that I can tell.
    Mike