Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprucebud

Conifer garden in early May

sprucebud
13 years ago

Here are a selection of photos taken this morning at David Ward's garden. Enjoy!

picea abies 'Rydal' at its peak

{{gwi:676159}}

Picea glauca 'Goldilocks' and some abies concolor cultivars

Abies concolor 'Bryce Canyon'

A beautiful grouping (in my opinion)

Abies lasiocarpa 'Roger Watson'

Picea pungens 'Wendy'

Comments (21)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

A wonderful garden.
    Thanks Richard,

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Nice photo's Richard!
    I never saw such a big Picea abies 'Rydal' at it's peak.
    Once I saw a big 'Rydal' which was about 10 metres hight in Sweden but unfortunately this was in Summer.

The Abies pinsapo 'Pendula' in the 4th pic is a very rare conifer!

The Picea glauca 'Goldilocks' in the first pic is a nice plant with a beautiful golden colour, but the one in the 5th pic is a real beauty!
    The yellow Picea pungens in the same pic is that the cultivar 'Aurea'?
    The Pinus x schwerinii 'Wiethorst' shows us a lot of cones!

The original seedling of Picea pungens 'Wendy' is a flat grower but grafted plants will make a leader after a while because of the strong understock.

• kbguess
    13 years ago

Wow, some beautiful plants there. I agree the mix of maples and colorful conifers is extraordinary. Thanks for sharing.

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Edwin,
    Yes, the picea abies 'Rydal' is very tall and that was the first time I have seen this plant showing the new red growth (and the reason for my visit!).
    The golden blue spruce is Picea pungens `Stanley's Gold'.
    Richard

• Greenthumb
    13 years ago

Fantastic garden! Thanks for sharing. There are lots of unusual conifers in these photos.

I purchased a Picea glauca 'Goldilocks' a couple of years ago and just put it in the ground this spring (needed to wait until the plant got a little larger.) I can hardly wait until my plant gets as large as the plants in the photo! I think it's a spectacular conifer.
    Mike

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Really phenominal pictures and what an amazing garden. This shows the dramatic effect large conifers and maples have - their widely varying shapes, forms and colors really are evident once they obtain a good 10-20 years of age.

Wonderful.

-Will

• mikesin
    13 years ago

absolutely beautiful!! I really like the picea abies 'Rydal'

How does one go about obtaining one in the states?
    Thanks for sharing

• Cher
    13 years ago

Beautiful gardens. They have a wonderful eye for color.
    Cher

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Absolutely FANTASTIC conifer garden! You're right the grouping in the fifth picture is especially wonderful. That pic of 'Rydal' looks like Christmas in the Spring. As impressive as it looks in the photo , I bet it was amazing being there. Thanks for sharing the terrific photos.

Dan

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

I'm not easy to make the difference between Picea glauca "Goldilocks" and Picea abies "Kornel's Dwarf Yellow"

Clément

• Greenthumb
    13 years ago

Clément,
    So you think that Picea glauca 'Goldilocks' and Picea abies 'Kornel's Dwarf Yellow' are the same plant with two different names?
    Thanks,
    Mike

• sluice
    13 years ago

Love the color combinations!
    Thanks.

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Mike,
    I don't know, it's my question, and I hope some comments.

Clément

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Clément,

Can you show us a photo of the Picea abies 'Kornel's Dwarf Yellow', so we can compare it with the 'Goldilocks'?
    If possible also some buds close ups.

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Picea abies "(K)Cornell Dwarf Yellow" photographied at Jeddeloh nursery many years ago, 25 years ?
    Not sure if Cornell or Kornell.
    Clément

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

I found another close up photo of the Picea abies 'Kornell's Dwarf Yellow' on this forum from about 2 years ago.
    Take a look at the buds and make your conclusion...

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea abies 'Kornell's Dwarf Yellow'

• bamboo_nuts
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

ES Smith,

The one on the left is Japanese Maple 'Katsura'. Can't ID the conifer though.

J.M 'Katsura' requires afternoon shade or it gets burnt badly.

J.N

• gardener365
    7 years ago

Could you provide close ups of that golden conifer? Bud if still visible; Foliage on the top and bottom of shoots, old growth; trunk area 3-years growth below the current leader; A closer photo of the entire plant.

Dax

• GreenLarry
    7 years ago

Wow nice pics! That first tree, Rydal, looks gorgeous!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES