Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TLC or axe these pines?

Posted by robotropolis z6a (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 12:39

The problem: 5-10 years ago, previous owners regraded and dumped at least two feat of soil on the roots of these pines.

Last year I had an arborist out to look at them and he was 50/50 on saving them. He started to dig wells around them and gave up. I started last night, got about two feet down and hit gravel.

They don't look super healthy but they're still green. Maybe 10% brown needles, throw cones year round. Pines around here are suffering from dook's needle blight, mind you.

Pro: they do screen the road a bit (husband wants to keep for this reason)
Con: I don't want to plan around them if they're going to keel over in five years.

What would you do? Thanks for any advice!!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, May 13, 14 at 12:40

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TLC or axe these pines?

you again???

get rid of them first.. then plat in the space ...

quite a nightmare removal.. if you do it bass-ackwards ...

i dont know about the ax part ... lol ... unless you are some samurai ax master ... power lines.. sheds... fences.. neighbors ... be safe dude ...

ken

o

Me again!

Figurative axe. Hiring someone for sure. Last year the guy got rid of two other ones pretty quick - he crawled right up and sawed off about six feet at a time! It was amazing.

(PS So can I tell my husband these guys are gonna keel over in an expensive, neighbor shed destroying way as a reason to get rid of them?)

o

The one on the right has been pushing out 12-18" of growth every year for the past 5 years at least. The one on the left, a little less at 8-12" each year for the same period.

Besides the fact that someone did a hack job pruning 10 years ago and they are ugly as hell....they are also very healthy. I would say no TLC is required. Let them grow.

o

If they're still healthy more than 5 years after the soil was added, they'll be OK. Damage from buried roots would have shown up in 1-3 years.

So keep them, if you like them.

Resin

o

They are ugly as sin. There were actually two more, one in between these ones and a tiny struggler to the right. Plus they were in a lot of shade. Plus the nightmare pruning. But maybe they'll...I dunno, look windswept in time or something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here