Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Golden conifers new growth

There are so many scattered posts, I just figured I'd make a new one where people could post their images of their new golden growth on various conifers. It's easier to navigate these forums when posts are a little less scatter brained.

So post your new spring growth of your golden type conifers.

I'll lead with a few of my young ones:

Picea orientalis 'Iseli Seedling'

Picea orientalis 'Daureas'

Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb Gold'

Dawn Redwood 'Gold Rush' or... (gulp!) Metasequoia Glyptostrobiodes 'Ogon'

Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring'

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

God's work .. keep it up ....

in re: Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb Gold' -- is this some how different than plain old 'tom thumb' ... or did you just add the GOLD part???

the gold dawn redwood [i can not spell it from memory... lol ] .... from the other post pix .. right on the corner of your patio???? .. i believe it has the potential.. to quickly cover the patio completely .. you might want to research the annual growth rate .. and think about moving it in fall ...

i tend to think about problems a decade out.. since it is much easier to move a two foot plant.. rather than kill a 20 foot plant ... either trying to move it.. or just accepting you dont have that technology .. and having to sacrifice it to the conifer god's ...

have a great day ...

ken

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

'Tom Thumb Gold' and 'Tom Thumb' are the same plant, and this is a prime example of the confusion that ensues, where someone for whatever reason decides that, in this example the Gold part of the name is superfluous to requirements. I for one believe all conifer names should be left well alone, unless there is a good legitimate reason for changing them, and even then with the consent of the originator when at all possible.

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Ok, here are a few from me.

Pinus parviflora 'Dr Landis'(Gold)
    {{gwi:717266}}

Pinus sylvestris 'Trollguld'
    {{gwi:717268}}

Juniperus pingii 'Hulsdonk Yellow'
    {{gwi:717269}}

Pinus parviflora 'Goldilocks'
    {{gwi:717271}}

Juniperus communis 'Swanborough Gold' - a true golden 'Compressa'
    {{gwi:717273}}

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep Ken, 'Tom Thumb' is correctly labeled as 'Tom Thumb Gold'.

Also, from what I understand and the images I've seen, 'Gold Rush' grows at a rate of about 8" a year avg. They also tend to be closer to fastigate then wide spreading, so I expect it will be covering part of the bench there, but not overwhelming the entire patio for a long long time. Frankly, the rock garden behind it gets too much sun as is, even some of the 'full sun' specimens behind it get occasional burn these days.

I also plan on doing some very careful yet creative pruning over the years to help everything co-exist as well as possible.

I think a bit like Dave, I lean often towards the now, or 'soon', rather then twenty years. There's plenty of time to move things that apparently are going to be too big or broad down the road.

Will

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

Here are five from my garden. Posting picea pungens 'Maigold' again here since at its peak I reckon...

picea orientalis 'Skylands'

picea abies 'Gold Drift'

picea breweriana 'Frühlingsgold'

picea omorika 'Aurea'

• arceesmith
    14 years ago

Seems I'm always a little behind the action, but here are a few gold conifers that caught my eye yesterday at the newly expanded Jean Iseli memorial garden.

Cryptomeria japonica [Tansu Yellow Sport] Not likely you'll find this one yet - evaluation - early production - but too cool not to share here.

Picea pungens 'Niemetz'

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Butter Ball' Great alternative to 'Golden Sprite' - not as finicky.

Picea pungens 'Fruhlingsgold' - not sure if the name should be all-in-one like this?