Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting in May

Posted by adriantwpmi Z5b MI (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 13:35

I am moving and want to take as many small conifers (up to 3ft tall) as I can to my new home in zone 5b. What are the odds for survival moving them in May? Thanks DW

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting in May

hey dave

where to??

local.. or long distance???

its all about aftercare ... as you know..

but more importantly.. are you really going to skip putting the house back together.. to plant IMMEDIATELY at the new house???

it might be to your advantage to pot them properly.. for summer.. and then develop new beds.. in time for fall planting ???

i know a guy who may have some pots ... lol ..

ken

o

As long as the new owners don't expect them to stay, you have nothing to lose, go for it. Try to get as large a rootball as possible, get them transplanted as soon as possible, and keep them well watered through the summer. It wouldn't hurt to use a little root stimulator on them, such as Ferilome's. (See link). I would also shade them this summer from the sun.

Matt

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilome Root Stimulator

o

tried to call you.. but the number was dead.. call me

ken

o

My odds of transplanting wild Virginia Junipers in July in the 4"-16" size is about 75%. The seedlings are put in 5 gallon pots in partly sunny spot. Water every other day. With southern pine seedlings, success was around 60%. Know that these aren't your species, but at least it gives you some idea of what can be done and chances for success. I avoid like the plague transplanting anything over 16" from the wild.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here