Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davek14

Green giants slowly dieing

davek14
9 years ago

A landscaper planted a hedge of green giants arbs approximately a month ago for me. They are 9 ft in height and they the branches and leaves are slowly browning and dieing. Looks like the browning starts at the tips and eventually kills the entire leaf. Its actually a orangish yellow color. I attached a pic. Any idea? They have received enough water. I test the ground everyday to ensure its moist a few inches down. That's dosent seem to be the problem. I would like to save them!

Comments (10)

• davek14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Additional pic

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i would like to see the whole plant ...

if its just some tip ends... i would probably go with handling damage ... and would just snip out the brown parts ...

the limey green tip ends.. are the new growth.. and they sure look fat and happy in these pix ....

they do NOT need food ...

two green thumbs up.. for actually testing the soil.. to gauge moisture ...

ken

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Make certain the original rootball is moist, not just the surrounding soil.

As has been said, so far, they're looking good.

• davek14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I will try and post another pic of entire tree. I planted 18 of them and in my oppinoun they are all struggling. Slowly leaves continue to brown and die. At first i also thought browning was handdling damage however now healthy leaves are dieing. How do I know if the root ball is moist without digging out the tree? Also any experience with these trees. How hard is it to overwater. Was thinking maybe a drainage issue as we got a lot of rain the last month and the ground by the trees always seemed wet. Not soaked. The trees with more direct sunlight seem to do the worse. Any ideas... Thanks again for the feedback.

• seagreen_turtle Z5b/6a SE Michigan
    9 years ago

Just two ideas that aren't all that likely to be your problem but just in case:
    1) any chance there has been any lawn fertilizer with weed killer in it (like Scott's turf builder with weed killer for example)? That happened to me when my neighbor's landscaper put it on and the ends on her side turned brown one year. I clipped out the brown tips and a year later you couldn't see any damage
    2) could your landscaper have added too much peat when planting? If there's a lot of peat around the root ball the water can drain away from the roots so that they don't have a chance to take up enough water.

In any case, good luck.

• davek14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He only used top soil with existing soil. Thanks for thoughts. I appreciate it.

• User
    9 years ago

Davek,
    Your trees are fine.
    As stated earlier in this post, your pics show new growth on the trees.
    At least the pic you posted here.
    The tree is growing, not dying.
    Relax.

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

If they are planted correctly and not mishandled they are bullet proof.

Dave

• jean001a
    9 years ago

You asked:
    "How do I know if the root ball is moist without digging out the tree?"

1. You bend down or stoop.
    2. Reach underneath the tree to locate where the original rootball is (if planted correctly, it should be at the soil surface; if buried, you will need to pull back the extra soil on the rootball and keep it off.)
    3. Stick your finger in the rootball -- is it dry,moist or wet?

Don't rely on rainfall at this early stage following planting.
    The original rootball is shielded by the leafy top.
    Even though the surrounding soil is moist, wet, or even soggy, water WON'T go sideways into a dry rootball.

• richr49
    9 years ago

Just a guess, but could it be that the landscaper's crew did not remove the root ball rope or twine around the trunk? My landscaper crew did just that to a weeping cherry. That would eventually strangle the tree. My GG always have a few brown leaves, nothing to worry about.