Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinois_john

Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring" - location

illinois_john
9 years ago

Just returned from a trip to the northwest and a visit to Conifer Kingdom. I picked up far more plants than I had planned on.

I'm looking for advice on location for Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring." Can it take full sun? Is some shade required to avoid burning on the new growth?

I'm just North of Chicago, in Des Plaines.

Also, any experiences with growth rate around my area would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

full blinding sun.... like any other bllue/green pungens ...

the white tissue is a spring phenom ... which greens up ... and in spring the sun is weak.. and the temps coolish ... [most importantly.. nights are still cool]

it doesnt matter what heat summer brings ... the tissue will be green by then ...

i have 2 spring ghosts ... the one in shade is sparse.. compared to the one in more sun ... its just filled out better ...

one might argue that you can make it last a bit longer in spring shade ... but i dont buy that .. in my z5 anyway ...

you might want to protect this one.. until all chance of hard frost or freeze ... that tender new growth might not like it.. as it has NOT been hardened off from living in OR ...

what else did you get.. more pix of the nursery ... and how did you get them home???? ... or will they be mailed???? ... noting your pic is at the nursery

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Hey John it was nice to meet you and your wife last weekend - I hope that your trip up the coast was picturesque and fun.
    Regarding 'Gebelle's', which is one of my all-time favorites, the placement challenge to me is not cultural but aesthetic. It is a show-stopper for a few weeks in spring where you really want it front and center and then it dulls out and is really nondescript. So place it somewhere where you'll see that new foliage but where it doesn't take up too much real estate the rest of the year.
    Sara

• illinois_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken and Sara, thanks for the quick responses. I was hoping to hear full sun, but didn't want to chance it.

I will post some pictures from the nursery soon. I was away two weeks and have to catch up on spring maintenance, annuals and making room for my addiction.

The nursery and staff were great. The selection was more than I could resist. I met Brent and Sam and they were helpful with a very generous shipping rate.

I ended up with 19 plants up to seven gallon. I have no idea how I'll fit them into existing beds even with me getting rid of some of my dogs.

The Mikawa Yatabusa and two that look cooked are not mine.

Sara, it was nice meeting you as well. My wife had a great time at the Oregon Garden Spa and we've now added Silverton to out list of places to possibly retire.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you didnt answer how you got them home???? .. of course back in the olden days.. i could jam that all in under the tonneau cover in the pickup bed ....

anyway ... they are way past what my zone currently is ... think long and hard about how to plant and protect them .. with fuzzy new growth ... its not really the time to be totally disturbing the roots ...

i dont know if i would hold them over until fall ... plant them pot and all in my and. for fall planting.. leave them in shade ...

or if i would go the dave route of protection ...

or some of both ....

ken

• illinois_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry Ken, I was able to have them added to a trailer load that is being delivered about 20 minutes from my house.

Shipping was very reasonable, or I would have stuck to my original plan of having a few 1-3 gallons shipped fed ex.

Thanks for the thoughts on planting and protection. Although many have the best luck with fall planting, I have not been as successful in fall as spring.

I have had very good success with gently untangling and cutting roots into early June. Logically, now is not the best time, but it's worked well for me. I will keep a close eye for cold nights. Seems that we're out of the woods, but you never know.