Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liopleurodon

Can anyone please help me ID'ing these?

liopleurodon
10 years ago

Hi all!

This month I again came across some conifers of which I'd really like to know what species (and cultivars) they are.

First one:
A cypress cultivar. The owner sadly couldn't give any details about it.

Second one:
There are 3 trees (of same age) which seem to be completely the same (to me at least), except for their bark. Are they the same? They look to me like Pseudotsuga menziesii, however their cones look slightly too big (especially too wide) to me.
Cones:

Trees:

Barks (is it possible that trees of the same species and age have such a different bark?)

Buds:

Third one:
Is this Pinus pinaster?
Bark:

Cone:

Foliage:

Fourth one:
I found this one (Taxus?) as a wild growing seedling. Is this a known cultivar? Or is this a new one (which I discovered then :D )?

Thanks a lot! :)
Alexander

Comments (11)

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Hey, Alexander!

First one looks like Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Gracilis'

Those are definitely Douglas Fir cones and buds.. However, the difference in the bark is puzzling.
    If you can get a picture of the foliage on each tree with the differing bark patterns, we would have a better idea..

Third one looks like Pinus arizonica, but I'm not entirely sure..

Finally, that is a beautiful yew you have found!
    If you found it as a "wild-growing seedling," it cannot possibly be a known cultivar!
    It does have a nice color to the foliage, as well. :-)
    Thanks for sharing; hope I helped.

-Sam

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

1 Chamaecyparis obtusa cv ?
    2 Pseudotsuga menziesii, bark differing with age.
    3 Pinus pinaster
    4 Taxus baccata cv ? seedling.
    Clement

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Ditto to Clement.

Resin

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Pinus arizonica is not a normally encountered tree, outside of its native area.

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sam, Clement, Resin and bboy, thank you very much for your answers.

All three P. menziesii should be of almost exactly the same age. Is it a possibility that genetic variances between them caused one's bark to mature faster?

It is quite likely that the third one is P. pinaster since that tree used to be planted on small scale for forestry around where I live.

Thank you for the compliment, Sam. :)
    Taxus baccata is a conifer which is wild growing here anywhere; presumably because of its extensive use for hedges. Close to the one I found were numerous "normal" (single coloured, dark green ones) so this one catched my eye immediately.
    This one has smaller, more sickle shaped leaves which are green on the inside and bright-yellow across their edges.

This post was edited by liopleurodon on Fri, May 17, 13 at 5:23

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"All three P. menziesii should be of almost exactly the same age. Is it a possibility that genetic variances between them caused one's bark to mature faster?"

Genetic variation could; but so could environmental differences (e.g. whether with more or less sunlight access, shelter, etc.).

Resin

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

liopleurodon, I search from many years some plantation of Pinus pinaster here in Belgium without succes,please have you some address for me ??
    Thanks,
    Clement

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi Liop, I don't know yet which Chamaecyparis obtusa cultivar you're showing us, but I'll look for it in my database with pics.

Your variegated Taxus baccata seedling could be interresting for propagating.
    If you like, Ill do this for you comming winter...

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Clement, the spot where I took the pictures was more like a big garden; but according to various websites there should still be remnants of the old P. pinaster stands (which were planten just above Antwerp) in the "Kalmthoutse Heide" (a nature reserve). They've cutted most of them though since they're alien species.
    Last time I went to the "Kalmthoutse Heide" was maybe ten years ago and a pine was still a pine for me back then, so I can't give any info on how big the stands were.
    I'll probably go back there in the holidays, and I'll take some pictures, so you know whether it's worth going there.

Edwin, that would be very friendly if you would help me propagating it. :)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Liop, your first pic is a Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Contorta'.
    It was found as a 'Nana Gracilis' seedling selection by the Den Ouden Nursery from Boskoop.
    It was one of the first cultivars beside the 'Nana Gracilis' spread in The Netherlands and Belgium.
    All the others from the U.S. came to Europe much later.

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for the ID and information, Edwin!