Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Picea pungens Spring Ghost'

pix of a couple plants .... i am not convinced that it is any different than maigold .. but i dont have that one.. and its not really in the budget to buy what i consider a look-a-like ....

ken

{{gwi:719375}}

{{gwi:719377}}

{{gwi:719378}}

{{gwi:719380}}

{{gwi:719382}}

{{gwi:719384}}

Comments (9)

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Hi Ken,

Dan showed us last Sunday a differend 'Spring Ghost' from which it's new growth was completely white and the older needles were blue.

The plant at your pictures shows us a new growth which is a créme coloured and could be a 'Maigold' indeed.
    The older needles of a 'Maigold' are green, the same colour as on your plant.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi joy

it is extremely hard to take pix of cream and white tissue .... especially as a non-professional pix taker

if i want to capture the white.. i would have to take the picture at mid day.. but then i would have contrast problems with the rest of the plant ....

i tend to take pix near dusk .... to avoid stark contrast ... which leads the white to be more of a cream ...

on top of that... i was told to plant this one in some amount of shade .... and both plants are in the shade of an oak .... which again.. interferes with the proper color and contrast ..

again .. on top of that... its been a rather weird spring.. transitory coloration on pungens is highly dependent on air temps... the hotter it is at spring push.. the faster the color changes ... and i am finding.. this spring.. that they are changing fast... a couple abnormal 80 degree days.. does not make for a great show ...

finally ... i have never seen maigold in person .. and my opinions rely simply on web pix ... which are all subjective based on the problems above .... and increased by relying on a multitude of different, presumable novice, pix takers ....

the ONLY way to actually compare said plants.. would be to plant them within a few feet of each other ... and see them with your own eyes ...

have a great day... or since you are across the pond.. and usually opposite my time.. have a great evening. ..

please refer to the spring yellow post for more insite ....

ken

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Ken - here is my 'Maigold' also sprucebud posted a photo of his a couple of days ago.
    {{gwi:642653}}

Here is Picea pungens 'Nimetz' my plant has no real shape as yet, and it has been said that this one may be the same as 'Spring Ghost'
    {{gwi:642649}}

This one is a very young plant of Picea pungens 'Bialobok' and apparently has been re-named John Paul 11' in the States, the colour is identical to my plant of 'Nimetz'
    {{gwi:642651}}

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Bluespruce,

You showed us very nice yellow and white Picea pungens springgrowth pictures, just taken at the right time.

I have the same problem with the 'Nimetz' at my Pinetum, it still don't have that upright leader either.
    I don't think you can compare the 'Nimetz' with the 'Spring Ghost'.
    Last week I received one from Henk which new growth is a much more white now then the 'Nimetz' from which the white needles are fading away.

• thusie
    14 years ago

In Ohio the SG (Dawes and ours) didn't flush as white as usual but both have become more white w/o any indication of going blue yet. The SG at Dawes didn't put up a leader for quite a while, they thought it was going to be a blue and white bun:-) Ours is also following that. Both are decidedly a nice silver blue.

I don't have the pictures of Dawes or ours up on our website as yet.

Ken always shoot with the light behind you, sweet light is always early morning or early evening (good call Ken). Harsh midday light, UGH!

Lovely conifer Ken

• clement_2006
    14 years ago

About "Nimetz", I prefer "Niemetz" with E.
    Because in Manual of cultivated Conifers by Krüssmann, page 200/201 Picea pungens "Aurea" and "Flavescens" it's Niemetz
    I don't see difference between P. p. "Niemetz" and "Bialobok" in my garden.
    Clément

• nikkie_in_toronto
    14 years ago

ken- this is one of my favorite plants. very nice picture. Are you the one that has a pungens called Colonial Gold? What do you think of that one? thanks N

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Clément is right, I red this info the the Krüssmann book after he mentioned this and indeed it must be Niemetz.

Could it be that 'Niemetz' is another name for 'Flavescens'?
    The discription mentioned the same characteristics...

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Agreed, checked it out, and Niemetz seems to be correct.