Pinus flexilis Cherokee� Mesterhazy & Valenta photo

Pinus flexilis �Kinzie Rose� Mesterhazy & Valenta photo

Pinus flexilis �Kinzie Rose� Mesterhazy & Valenta photo

Zsolt

Comments (3)

• oakiris
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful bristlecone pine and limber pine cultivars, Zsolt. I see that all of the photos are attributed to "Mesterhazy & Valenta." Are these your trees or from a local botanical garden, or...? Very nice, anyway.

I know this has nothing to do with Jerry Morris cultivars, so please forgive me for horning in on your thread.... A friend and I were at a local nursery the other day and found a cultivar labeled Pinus aristata 'Horstmann;' they only had one small specimen. Are you familiar with that particular cultivar? I have googled it and found it mentioned - the links were primarily to European sites and I didn't have time to translate them - but there didn't seem to be much info out there. Porterhowse Farms here in the USA has it listed in their database, but without a picture and without any sort of description or information. Just wondering if it is one that we should have snapped up!

Holly

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Hi Holly, these photos are from the CZ Republic of nurseryman Vladimir Valenta. Zsolt is working on a huge conifer manuscript of cultivars from all over the world (and species).

I don't know the origin of 'Horstmann' aristata, however Gunther Horstmann is a German conifer plantsman. A very famous man, and, recently mentioned as being attributed to the name 'Hexenbesen' (Hexenbesen = witches' broom). This was mentioned on the forum just days ago.

Zsolt, congratulations on your work. Great photos, many cultivars that slipped thru the cracks.

Thanks,

Dax

• oakiris
    12 years ago

Thanks, Dax. I realized after I posted that "mesterhezy' is Zsolt's user name here, and then saw the other thread he started where he said the pictures were from the Valenta Gardens. (Of course, there's no way to edit posts here on GW.) I didn't know that Zsolt was working on this very ambitious - and important - project; the manuscript is going to be very impressive when completed with so many great photos of rare cultivars.

I have seen that many conifer cultivars have "Horstmann" in their names so I figured he must be quite the plantsman. I missed that thread about 'Hexenbesen.'

If I have the $$ and the Pinus aristata 'Horstmann' is still available, I think I will have to make it mine!

Holly

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH