Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Looks good for about 1 month...

whaas_5a
10 years ago

but at least its good for the plants!

My soil tests from last fall yielded a higher organic matter content in the mulched areas. Otherwise my soil is lacking. Its my little helper if another drought hits this summer too.

Next year I can focus on some rocks and ground covers!

{{gwi:719588}}

{{gwi:719590}}

{{gwi:719592}}

Comments (20)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Yeah, I really like what you've done. It's quite magnificent.

Best regards,

Dax

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Time to crack open a can of frosty something and enjoy!

Everything looks amazing.

• dietzjm
    10 years ago

It looks great, and your neighbours must think you're slightly insane! Do you mean that after one month the color fades or what? How much does the mulch cost you per yard? And how about some pics of individual conifers?

• davidtree
    10 years ago

nice job a beautiful yard

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

sublime....

ken

• Cher
    10 years ago

It's amazing how all this looks in the short time you have put this all together. Nice to keep these progression photos going.
    Cher

• sluice
    10 years ago

Looks great! Thanks for posting these.

• davidtree
    10 years ago

nice job a beautiful yard

• Fiddlegal08
    10 years ago

Whaas, spectacular! Did you dye your grass? It looks SO green! Almost makes me want lawn... but no! Need all my tiny space for planting. You are lucky to have so much property. What a thrill to be able to observe these gardens mature!

Ellen

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Looks fantastic whaas! I love the flow of your beds and grassy areas! Looks like all of your hard work has really paid off.

Dan

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All, thanks for the comments! Surely you have all provided some inspiration at some point!

I have never been so in love with the rain after the drought last year. We've had just over 5" of rain in both April and May.

Matt, I typically get the cheap shredded mulch so it starts to gray a bit after a month. Worked out a bulk buy with a local nursery @ $12 a yard. Buddy helped me out over two weekends. Didn't even plan on doing it but its worth it to keep things going during the young years. The majority of plants are only going into their 2 year. Next year will be a leap year!

• botann
    10 years ago

I like the flowing lawn. The photos look a little over saturated on post production though.
    What are you going to do with the water from your downspouts? (I'm speaking as an ex-landscaper and garden designer)
    You should get a lot of growth next year, and I don't think you will be disappointed about it this year either.
    All in all, it's looking pretty good for as young as it is. Most people aren't that quick.
    Mike

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Mike, are you thinking rain barrels?

I set my Panasonic at expressive. I haven't found that sweet spot yet. I'm moving to an SLR next spring.

• botann
    10 years ago

Here in the land of rain, we usually hook up a 4 inch diameter ADS pipe to the downspouts and run the water to the street or a low place for a pond. All four of mine go into a pond by the house. It's stocked with Goldfish to keep the mosquito population down. That pond overflows into another pond and so on.
    I understand now that you have a choice of settings on the camera rather than adjusting the saturation and contrast. No big deal, but it sure is colorful!
    Mike

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i dont know will ...

i understand your point..

but the purist in me likes the natural degeneration process ...

as long as its there.. it looks fine to me ... no matter what level of perfection... one needs ...

words fail me.. but its the polar opposite of instant gratification ....

great work on the concept .... and thx for the pix ....

ken

ps: you know.. you can buy mulch stain .. to maintain color ... pretty sure amleo.com carries it .... but that is a step too far for me ... and why i always go with no color.. so it fades to the grey color .... of untreated wood ....

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Looks great Will, Id like to walk your gardens with my note pad.I know youve done your homework and have awsome cultivar selections,including your deciduous trees....kudos!
    AL

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Lookin' good, Will, lookin' good.

tj

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks gents! I'll get out again and take a few shots of the interesting deciduous plants I have.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

How in the world do you keep that mulch weed free? Did you put down a barrier? What did you use? My neighbor just ripped up some old weed barrier, and it was covered in organic matter that had built up on top of it over the years...

Looks good...all this rain sure makes things grow good. 7+ inches here this month so far.

• Windhaven
    10 years ago

Truly amazing to see all that you have accomplished in two years! Outstanding! I'm looking forward to seeing individual pics and a head count on just how many trees and plants that have been planted in those two years (including those that haven't survived?)

More pictures please!