Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ndas2976

Picea pungens 'White Ghost'

ndas2976
10 years ago

Jan from European Nursery just gifted me a Picea pungens 'White Ghost' and a Picea p. 'Maigold'. Looking for some info and care requirements for the White Ghost.

Comments (11)

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some pics
    White ghost

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic 2

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maigold

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Here's a link to 'White Ghost' post, Nick!

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea pungens 'White Ghost'

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

as to care ....

as any other picea pungens..

BTW.. what a great gift ... congrats ...

the spring color holds.. only as long as the cool weather holds ... some years almost as long as two weeks ... other years.. in a heat wave.. i swear its days ....

i was told to grow it in shade... looking back 10 years.. i have no clue why .. as those.. and i have 4 or so ... the ones in shade are pretty ugly sparse specimens .... i mean really.. telling a hosta guy to put things in shade ..... means real shade.. lol ... i suppose some shade in later afternoon.. for that short show period might help .... but i doubt it..

other than its short show... its a pungens.. treat it accordingly .... advise if you need instruction on general pungens care ...

ken

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sam for the link. Do you know if my other 2 plants went out today?

Ken - do you know what the 10 year size is on the P.p 'White Ghost' and I have to spots for it. Sun from rise to set and the other gets sun from morning until about 2.

Thanks Nick

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

No problem, Nick.

Ken, if I'm not mistaken, you have 'SPRING Ghost' which is different (slower-growing) but very similar to Krzysztof Wolski's newly-introduced 'White Ghost'...
    The plant at the link looks to be about 8 years old, btw.

-Sam

• jth97381
    10 years ago

Spring Ghost......Summer Toast. Hopefully 'White Ghost' doesnt burn so bad.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

sAM!!!

birds of a feather.. of what difference would the name make.. with a given pungens or two.. that flush out cream tissue ....

one might think latitude will be determinative .... and the further north one goes.. the less intense the sun will be ....

but again ... it turns all green.. i dont understand why it has previously been known to toast ?????

all my spring color pungens.. grow like the pungens weeds they are.. with a slightly less than green pungens annual growth rate .. in MI ...

and as i said.. i put them in rather deep shade.. so their annual growth rate is even slower ...

ken

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Hey, Ken.
    I wasn't trying to assume Edwin's position. ;-)
    But from what I've heard, 'Spring Ghost' will eventually be a large tree, and 'White Ghost' seems more compact.
    Other than that, I don't believe there's any notable difference.

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Thanks, Sam!
    It looks like you're reading my mind... ;0)