Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeedeedee

Blue Atlas Cedar Question Please

chickadeedeedee
10 years ago

We planted our first in 1994. There are actually 2 trunks so makes him fuller. I guestimate he is now 30+ ft. high.

Last year there was one cone. This year 20+.

About 20 ft. away is a younger BAS ... maybe 20 ft. tall.

Do these need another tree to pollinate or can they make viable seeds on their own?

I live on the shores of Lake Erie and am apparently in an ideal micro climate for these trees. Have had several people over the years, including people who work in garden centers, either ask about the trees, how we get them to thrive or just amazed how big they are.

Also noticed several new BAC in yards around here. LOL! A beautiful tree indeed!

The one we have in the back had the top 1/3 broken off when the 55+year old weeping willow fell on it when H. Sandy hit. The tree looks healthy but might get a few leaders up top?

Comments (10)

• nikkie_in_toronto
    10 years ago

Chickadeedeedee.. I am originally from the Cleveland area. Elderly parents are still there and they have 25ft BACat there house along with a weeping BAS that goes halfway across the front of their house. They've been in the ground about 15 years now. I have seen the upright BAC cone, but never the weeping. there is another BAC a few houses down, but I don't think they need a mate to cone.

Can I ask where you bought your BAC? Bremecs by chance? I know they've been carrying them well before the all time record low -20F in 1994. I know theres went through that freeze with burn but regrowth. When I'm in NE Ohio, I'm often surprised to see how many BAC are planted. They seem to be thriving in Ohio. I know of a home in Canton where there is one that literally stretches all the way across the front of the house and over a detached garage. Its like something out of a book. beautiful plants.

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We got the first two at PLANT CRAFTERS in Westlake on Center Ridge Road. The third was actually a funky Christmas tree from. place in Sheffield which sadly went out of business.

Remarkable and beautiful trees! Wouldn't mind having my own forest of these gentle trees. They doooo love water but otherwise just love being adored. LOL!

Thank you for your reply! :-)

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Didn't know there was a weeping BAC! 8-) Need to look into that!

Ohio isn't *supposed* to be BAC territory, is it?

I know people are amazed at our Sequoia. He was soooo protected in winter until he got too tall. Maybe 20ft now? Was planted 7 days after the tragic 9/11 events. :*(

• nikkie_in_toronto
    10 years ago

They aren't supposed to be hardy in Ohio at all.. I think they are even very marginal in the Cincinnati area and along the Ohio River in general. To tell you the truth, I can only recall one year when the Blue Atlas Cedars even burned, but they flushed out very nicely. I have read the literature which states -5F to -10F is the breaking point for them, but I have seen them come through -12F and lower in parts of NE Ohio in 2009 with some damage, but they all flushed new growth. I never had any issues with them when living in Ohio. Yes, there is a weeping blue atlas. The Bremecs out in Chesterland carries them and they have some beautiful specimens. I bought a gorgeous one years ago out there that is at my parents, that I still enjoy when I'm visiting with them. You should get yourself one for sure! :-) I grew sequoiadendron as well in Ohio and personally feel that they are cold hardier than the BAC. I've seen some of the blue varieties of sequoiadendron surviving and doing quite well in Ohio and Michigan and in some pretty "open" situations. The problem I see with sequoiadendron seems to be that they are susceptible to fungal disease due to high humidity/night temperatures and poorly drained soil.

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think once established for a few years the BAC and Sequoia adapt or maybe they are just getting more hardy? The Sequoia was babied through the first 5 or so winters . We also had a Giant Redwood that the idiot lawn guys repeatedly mowed over but it became a redwood bush. After maybe a seven year struggle he died. Would love to get another Giant redwood!

Need a weeping BAC too. LOL! Need a bigger yard as well....

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again ... Do I need two BACs for pollination and fertile seeds?

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

From a site about Lebanon Cedar :

The Lebanon cedar doesn't flower until it is 25-30 years old. The flowers, or catkins are unisexual, with both male and female flowers on the same tree. The 2-inch catkins are reddish in color.

If both sexes of cone flowers are on each tree, the tree has the ability to be self-fertile. Of course the more trees in the area, the more sources of pollen, should yield increased fertilization of the female cones.

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a Cedar of Lebanon as well. Was planted in 2007.

Thanks.

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Again ... Do I need two BACs for pollination and fertile seeds?"

Yes.

"If both sexes of cone flowers are on each tree, the tree has the ability to be self-fertile"

It doesn't work like that with most conifers, they reject their own pollen. To get viable seed, they have to have pollen from a different specimen (genetically different; two specimens of one cultivar won't produce viable seed with each other)

Resin

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. The younger BAC is too young to aid in pollination.