Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ghgwv

Spring Pictures-Lots of

ghgwv
14 years ago

Here are a few spring pictures. Like a lot of people, I have combined conifers, maples, hostas and various other plants. The garden is a bit untidy IÂm afraid. The first few pictures are small groupings then some wider garden shots. The first conifer is pinus strobus ÂMini Twist then, hemlock "Lewisii (in bad shape when I got it two years ago), a mini tsuga canadensis that was without a tag but truly a miniature in all parts , pinus stobus ÂNana (15 years old in partial sun),  A young ÂJ. W. Daisy WhiteÂ, ÂKorean GoldÂ, picea pungens ÂBlue PearlÂ, a nice abies balsamea ÂHudsonianaÂ, a real treasure thuja occ "Mini Spiral ( part of my coenosium garden order this year-despite heavy competition was the little guy that stood out), some mini conifers and hostas on a huge boulder at eye level.

A few wide shots:

The drivewayÂtime to go.

Thanks for visiting, Gary

Comments (21)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

UNTIDY?????

my butts untidy..

that garden is glorious ...

NEVER .. EVER .. denigrate your result ...

all gardens dont have to be anal retentive ...

i like.. and prefer.. the NATURAL look ... or i have myself convinced of such.. because i have better things to do .. rather than vacuuming it all into perfection ...

thanks for the pix...

and for a shiny nickle.. i will tell you what i really think.. lol

ken

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

Gary, that looks a really intriguing and interesting garden. I love the variety of plants you have against the backdrop of the mature trees.
    In the second to last photo, please can you identify the weeping conifer centre right. Thanks.
    The thuja occ. 'Mini Spiral' very nice. I have just planted 3 Degroot's Spire.

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Take a bath with the old lady Ken. She'll have your curves shining like a corvette when the steam clears. I'm going to have to agree with ken 100%... That's a cool garden. Sure some plants are chokers like that vinca, that's not good news for a conifer or anything, yet, that's a nice set-up you got goin' there. A great specimen of Acer pal. 'Skeeter's Broom' I'm going to assume.

Thanks Gary,

Dax

• ghgwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dax,
    It is a 'Skeeter's Broom'. I got it from the nursery that introduced it. I do not agree about the vinca. The Skeeter's been growing in it for 16 years as well as hemlocks, viburnums etc. It shades the roots and I think moisture-wise it holds moisture as much as it uses up. Little trees could be over run by it but it is easy to pull up. It also "eats up the leaves" that fall on it providing good mulch. That has been my experience. Gary

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Interesting thought Gary. I've been pondering the idea of seeding (ken will be in agony over this one hehehe) Crimson Clover. I mean I wouldn't be able to mow and I'm sure I'd be knee deep in walking around, but then again a field of red and a plant that feeds the ground and also would be beneficial to my clay/loam situation.

I didn't see that you were dilligent in controlling the vinca. I like the way it rambles over those rocks and stuff.

See ya Gary,

Dax

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

Fabulous setting. If you think it's untidy, you're just crazy. Any weeds I might be seeing blend in perfectly with the rest. It's a perfect natural garden.

• ghgwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sprucebud,
    The tree's tag at the nursery was simply Weeping Serbian Spruce. I have a smaller Brun's (is that the right spelling?) that I prefer.
    Gary

• dansgrdn
    14 years ago

Gary your garden looks wonderful, so peaceful and natural. You have a wonderful backdrop for the conifers, Acers and Hostas you've added. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Dan

• sluice
    14 years ago

A very nice driveway!

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Gary,

I agree with all the comments, you have a very nice looking natural garden!

Can you make a close up picture of the weeping spruce which Sprucebud mentioned about?
    I'm very curious what it is!

I want to help you with a few namechances:
    Picea glauca 'J.W. Daisy's White'
    This must be only 'Daisy's White' now.

Abies balsamea 'Hudsoniana'
    This must be 'Hudsonia'

The smaller 'Brun's' you mentioned must be written as 'Pendula Bruns' in case this is a weeping form.

Keep on enjoying this beautiful hobby of yours!

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Agree with all the comments Gary, great garden.

• ghgwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Coniferjoy, here is a close-up of the Weeping Serbian Spruce, the next picture is my young ÂPendula Bruns and finally a picture of some more weepers.

Gary

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

That's a beautiful plant. Thanks for the close shot!

• garcanad
    14 years ago

Beautiful garden. All the plants seem to be at home in harmony and in their natual settings. Your collection of mature maples must be quite a sight in the fall. How do you control the perennials from shading your conifers too much?

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Gary,

Thanks for you close up picture of the unnamed weeping Serbian spruce.
    It's the must straight weeper I ever saw from Picea omorika, in my opion it's not a true species, it lookes like Picea breweriana is involved...
    It do have much differend needles then the 'Pendula Bruns' in the next picture.
    Can you please show us a very close close-up picture in which we can see it's needles, thank you in advance!

• ghgwv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

garcan,
    I pull up the perennials. It is only the smaller conifers that need my protection.

cj,
    Interesting. Here is that close-up. Most needles are between 2.5 and 3 cm. in length.

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Hmmm, to me it doesn't look as a Picea omorika needle.
    Resin, you are the true expert, you can help us out (I hope).
    The needle and needle distance is differend from the picture Conifer50 shows us the other day...

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Picea engelmannii?

Very nice pictures Gary, and a very nice setting.

tj

• pineresin
    14 years ago

"Hmmm, to me it doesn't look as a Picea omorika needle. Resin, you are the true expert, you can help us out (I hope)"

Sorry, not been looking in on this thread much as it takes a while to load!

I've seen very similar foliage on heavily shaded Picea omorika. This one looks shaded, but not heavily shaded, so it is hard to be sure. It could possibly be a hybrid, and P. breweriana looks a potential candidate (though I've not heard of any verified hybrids of this parentage). I suspect it may mean waiting for it to produce some cones, which may not be for a long time in a shaded position.

Resin

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Resin,
    Thanks for your information.
    I hope Gary will keep us informed when this one produced some cones.

There exist a cross between Picea omorika and Picea brewerina called Picea omorika x 'Wodan'.
    I have bin told that it's a cross between P. omorika 'Nana' and Picea breweriana.
    Picea omorika x 'Wodan'

• pineresin
    14 years ago

Have to admit I don't see much evidence of Picea breweriana in that! But hard to tell with one parent being a dwarf. Another case where it'll need cones (or a genetic test!) to tell.

Resin