Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thuja 'Brabant'

Posted by entling 5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 07 at 14:44

I just bought a couple of these, but I can't find any info on how wide they grow. Does anyone know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thuja 'Brabant'

What I've read is that it is a somewhat narrow spire, with maybe one central leader, so it doesn't sound very wide. 20-30 years down the road...?

o

I planted a hedge of these back in 2002. They've probably grown about a foot a year and are currently about 8 feet tall, and 3 to 3-1/2 feet wide at their widest part (they are sort of pyramid shaped, so wider near the bottom.)

They are still dense, but have more of a "loose" appearance than other cultivars like 'smargd' or 'brandon'. Sort of a feathery look near the top. They take pruning well though and here in a sheltered spot in zone 3 suffer just a bit of winter damage some years. I think I planted my plants about 2-1/2 or 3 feet apart for a hedge. To me, some years the new growth almost appears a bit golden or pinkish on the branch ends. It's a nice shade of green.

P.S. when I first bought mine I too had trouble finding information on this cultivar. Since it's from Europe and quite popular, if you do a search you will find lots of nursery websites but in German or other languages.

Glen

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 07 at 13:28

According to Welch/Haddow, World Checklist of Conifers "A compact, conical form with bright green foliage" originated and introduced by G.J.F. Rombouts, Steensel, North Brabant province (Germany).

o

copy and paste:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Thuja+Occidentalis+Brabant&hl=en&rls=RNWERNWE%3A2005-14RNWE%3Aen&num=10&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

Here is a link that might be useful: quick link ... hope you know your conversions ....

o

Thanks everyone, I think it will do. My German is pretty much limited to "Wo ist der bahnhof" and "Eine grosse bier, bitte."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here