Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Watering Colorado Blue Spruce Trees

mary_max
9 years ago

They have been in about 6 years and are doing very well. About 7 feet tall. MY question is how much water now that they are established. Are they going to need to be watered or will they just survive like in the forest. I have been very careful to water every summer after planting them but wonder if I need to continue. Thanks

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

absolutely not...

do you water all your trees ...

at this point.. your conifers are trees ... they need nothing...

THAT THEY CANT STEAL FROM SOME OTHER PART OF YOUR GARDEN ...

FINALLY!!!! ... something you can cut back on ... lol ..

this is my equation ...

first year... you are responsible for ALL water on a transplant ... you messed with the roots.. you take care of them ...

assuming proper mulch .... in the second year.. you are responsible for water in drought only ... stick finger thru mulch.. and water if dry ...

third year... should be pretty much free range ... drought again... if you insist ...

ken

• mary_max
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow that is music to my ears! Thanks Ken. I certainly am glad to be finished with this task!

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

Mary,

Everything I've read on this forum and on the web indicates that most trees and shrubs need regular watering for the first season or two until they are established. After that they should be OK on their own, unless there is a terrible heatwave or extended drought. But in general I would not water a tree after the second year unless there was a very good reason to do so.

Hope that helps.

TYG

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Where are you ?

If you live in the outskirts of Las Vegas, you still have to.

If they are surrounded by pavement that keeps rain out of the soil, they "might* need to be watered.

However, Colorado Blue Spruce are supposed to be fairly draught tolerant trees. They are more likely to suffer from too much water or disease then too little water in most Zone 5 parts of the US.

• mary_max
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are in Utah.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Do they grow wild in your part of Utah? Or do you see them growing in places they're unlikely to be getting water outside of natural rainfall?

If the answer to either is yes, you should be OK. They are native to UT, although they're native to somewhat wetter mountain slopes IIRC.

• scotjute Z8
    9 years ago

mary, from the USDA Plants Database, Blue Spruce grow in places with minimum rainfall of 20" per year. If the elevation you are at has less than that you should consider additional watering even after 2 yrs, especially during hot dry summer months. That said I live way down here in hot dry Tx and know nothing about Colorado Blue Spruce in Z5 except it won't flourish down here! Also you might check to see what others in your area are doing with similar trees.
    All my trees are rated for the average rainfall of this area, but I will water those in the yard monthly if we are extra hot/dry during June - Sept. It helps to take some of the stress off of them. Good luck.