Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsk1967

Going with Green Giants! Now help needed ....

DSK1967
10 years ago

Hi,

I posted previously, and for a privacy hedge am going with Thuja Green Giants!

I have just a few more questions, apologies if they've been covered in another post ...

1) I live in Northern NJ, any recommendations on where to buy?

2) We're going to go for 2-3' trees ..... would like to form a double hedge if possible. Any advice on how far apart they should be planted?

3) Any advice on fertilizer, soil, how deep to dig the hole, etc?

4) Timing - we should move in appx June-July ..... what is the best time to plant? Would prefer ASAP but the priority is to have the trees survive and thrive (and grow FAST...)

Thanks so much,
Dave

Comments (10)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Give this fella a call.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Badcreek Nursery

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

frank does mail order???

plant in later september ... plenty of time to find mail order ...

insist on single leader trees ... or make them yourselves ...

to save on mail order ... i would suggest.. in 3 years.... there will be no difference between a 2 to 4 footer... in other words.. a waste of money.. including extra shipping ...

have a soil test done ..... NEVER FERT unless a soil test indicates something is missing..and never fert a stressed tree.. and a transplant will be stressed for two years ...

i dont have a link to brandons planting guide on my laptop ...

dave.. reality check ... you will get no privacy from a 2 to 3 foot plant.. so do it in the next proper planting season .... as per above ...

we will need to know the soil type.. clay has special instructions ...

for TWO YEARS... the ONLY important thing.. is PROPER WATERING ...

spacing depends on how fast you want them to fill in ... give us some facts .... including how big the yard is ....

my 4 inchers in 2000 are going on 15 to 20 feet tall.. and 8 to 10 feet wide ...ON MY 5 ACRES .... these arent for most suburban settings .... presuming you have other goals for your yard ...

ken

• DSK1967
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, I've attached the survey .... areas marked with "x"s are where I'd like to plant.

Totally on board with the fact that there will not be privacy for a few years, but there is nothing there now, and building a house has given me new appreciation for the concept of being patient .....

I want the trees to top out at about 6-10 feet, ready to trim and do what it takes to keep them at that height.

Thanks
    Dave

• dcsteg
    10 years ago

Topping Green GIants at 10 ft. is not going to work.

These vigerious growers will eat you alive
    trying to maintain whatever form or look you want.

Why the 10 ft. limitation? Just curious.

Dave

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Yeah, everything was rolling along smoothly until you said that, DSK! Utterly wrong plant if that max. height is indeed a requirement. For that height, a single row of the old fashioned Woodward Globe arborvitas, placed, oh, 6 feet apart or so, will in a surprisingly short time form a perfect, never-needs-pruning hedge of at or just over head height.

+oM

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Completely right choice +oM.

Dax

• wildcatnurseryman
    10 years ago

'Schipp' Laurels may be a good choice for maintaining at around 8-10'.

• DSK1967
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the responses ....

I had read that if you cut the leaders, the Thujas would just get fatter instead of taller.

The right side of my lot faces a relatively busy street, I could do a bit taller, 10-15' max would be fine.

What I'm really looking for is an evergreen that will form a fairly solid looking hedge/privacy fence. I don't need it in place day one, but something substantial within 3-5 years would be ideal. Something hardy, minimal maintenance, that can hold up to the hot Jersey summers and snowy winters.

My wife is thinking she wants to mix up the trees rather than a solid fence .... we're still discussing that one.

I really appreciate the help,

• rogerzone6
    10 years ago

Triple Creek Farm an Nursery in Columbia, NJ is a good source if you don't mind going out of your way an hour or so. It's a mom and pop joint. They do single leader plants and even will deliver for free if you buy a decent amount. If you want them planted, they also have a very reasonable fee for that. I found them far more competitively priced then any nursery. Give them a call or go on their website. If you plan on visiting, call them first to see what's available

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    10 years ago

Mixing them up is an excellent idea.
    If something dies down the road the replacement will fit in much better. When you do a simple row of the same 'soldiers' a replacement plant sticks out like a sore thumb.
    A mixed row is much more visually interesting and pleasing as well.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource