Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wkrick

Bald Cypress with a very large upper branch

wkrick
11 years ago

I recently planted a bald cypress and I noticed that one of the upper branches that stick out at a 45 degree angle from the trunk has gotten quite large. I appears to be larger than the leader, in fact, and this has gotten me concerned.

Do I need to remove this large branch? My fear is that as the tree gets larger, that branch will cause it to lean to that side or some other problem that I haven't considered.

I don't have any pictures, but I can take some and post links if that will help.

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

need a pic ...

follow the link.. and use the HTML code.. and paste it right where you type.. and on preview.. if you see it we will see it ..

WELCOME TO THE CONIFER FORUM ...

if its a recent transplant.. as you suggest.. you are on the verge of loving it to death.. and that thing didnt mysteriously shoot out ... and it isnt going to tip the tree over ...

we usually do NOT prune new transplants... maybe next year.. or the year after ...

but it sure wouldnt hurt to find out if it is something you MIGHT cut off.. in the next few years ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pix

• wkrick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a picture. Sorry about the quality. I took it in the dark with a flash. The red arrow marks the branch.

When I wrote the post today at work, I swear I remember the branch being higher on the tree, but as you can see from the photo, it's actually closer to the bottom. Regardless, it's freakishly large compared to the other branches and it sticks out at an odd angle.

11 years ago

Regardless, it's freakishly large compared to the other branches and it sticks out at an odd angle.

===>>> not really.. its perfectly symmetrical for the shape of a young Taxodium distichum ...

these get very big.. very fast.. i hope you have spaced it out properly ...

thx for the pic

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• thetman
    11 years ago

nice tree-looking to get one or two of these for some wet spots in the yard. was this bought at a local nursery, or did you order online? only asking because it looks like I may have to buy one online somewhere since nursery I frequent did not have any.

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Some BCs grow almost oak-like & lose their central leader quickly. Nothing wrong w/that. If you want, trim the side branch back about halfway -- it'll lose dominance. However, I don't worry about it on my BCs & pondcypresses -- what do you do when the branch is 20' up or higher?

• wkrick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ken_adrian
    I guess I'll leave it alone then for now. That branch has definitely grown a lot in the two months or so since I planted it. It's a good 30%+ longer than any other branch.

@thetman
    I purchased it at a local nursery in Cary, NC. They had 4 or 5 of them in stock. I think I paid $60 for it. It was around 6 feet tall.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

+1 to beng to prune it back in late fall or early spring. You are doing the wrong thing by leaving it.

This plant is much too vigorous in warmer zones to let it go.

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

I personally would remove it. A dominate leader growing on a 45 degree angle is not the best case scenario for avoiding trouble.

In this case balance is more preferable. Applicable to most deciduous or coniferous trees growing in the vertical form.

Dave

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

After I posted I decided I would have removed it...sorry to repeat what Dave said. Just adding another vote for that option.

• texjagman
    11 years ago

It's hard to tell without a close-up shot but this simply looks like a sucker branch...common to find on many plants and trees. Suckers come out on top of basically the same bud location as a previous branch and often grow as fast or faster than the original branch. That's also why it is growing out straighter.

I would definitely cut the upper sucker branch out before the others begin to give it room. I think the rest of your tree will hold it's natural shape much better.

JMO......mark

• wkrick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry I didn't post an update sooner. I got wrapped up in other landscaping projects and totally forgot.

I ended up snipping off the sucker branch. The tree is doing really well and looks much more symmetrical. Thanks to everyone who responded.

11 years ago

well??? .. you get the gold star for tardy .... lol ...

in all my years.. i havent seen a 48 week old 'shout back' .. lol ...

glad you did whatever made you happy.. after all.. its your tree ...

ken

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

I would have done the same thing. Actually, I did that to a few Montezuma aka Mexican Bald Cypress recently.