Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

Picea pungens cultivars parade

coniferjoy
14 years ago

Some pictures of Picea pungens cultivars taken at my Pinetum this week.

'Barabits Blue'

'Bastion'

'Blaukissen'

{{gwi:705954}}

'Blue Pearl'

'Brynek'

'Corbit'

'Emerald Cushion'

'Filip's Blue Compact'

{{gwi:601310}}

'Frieda'

'Glauca Globosa'

Comments (58)

• redwingconifer
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Coniferjoy-

Thanks for the pics. Love P.p. 'Frieda'. I have wanted to get one for some time now. Here are 3 of my pungens.

Picea pungens 'Blue Moon'

Picea pungens'Pin Cushion'

Picea pungens 'Fat Mac'

Thanks also for the clarification on some cultivar names/renaming issues. It gets frustrating when I buy a certain cultivar and later learn that it is the same as another plant that I already have under a different name. This has happened when I bought a Picea orientalis 'Minima Wells' only to find out(thanks to you)that it is the same as the P.o."Mount Vernon' that I have already had for several years. And it nearly happened again as I was going to buy a Ginkgo biloba 'Jehosophat' but learned(thanks to you)that it is the same as 'Spring Grove'- which I already have.

shannon

• bobfincham
    14 years ago

Hi Edwin,

I know you like to have all names precise so I thought I'd mention that when Picea pungens 'R.H. Montgomery' was first described in the publication devoted to the donation of the Montgomery Collection to the New York Botanic Garden. It was given this name. For some reason Welch dropped the R.H. and so have some others. It was given the full name in his honor.

Nice thread.

Bob

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sluice,
    That unnamed cultivar you showed us, does it have a number instead of a name?
    If I'm right Jerry numbered everything he found in the past and give it a name later.
    If it's not named or numbered it's not worth to propagated it...

Dax,
    You showed us also some pictures of cultivars I'm not familiar with.
    I like the 'Straw' very much, it looks nicely variegated in the shadow.

Shannon,
    The 'Frieda' is a dwarf seedling selection found by Franz Etzelstorfer from Austria and he named it after his wife.
    Thanks for your compliment about the conifer names clarifications, this is one of the reasons that I do this so that people don't buy 2 plants under differend names which later on will be found out that they are the same...

About the Ginkgo biloba 'Jehosophat', I have this one under the name 'Jeosaphat', both names were found when I searched with Google.
    I don't know which one is the right one, but I do know one of them is the new name for 'Spring Grove #86'.

Bob,
    Thanks for your clarification about the 'Montgomery' which was originaly named 'R.H. Montgomery'.

Finaly I add my last ones...
    'Sonia'

St. mary's Broom'

'Stanley's Pygmy'
    {{gwi:648150}}

'Thuem'

'Waldbrunn'

'Wendy'

This is the same plant seen at Bob Fincham's webside.
    He took that picture when he visited me a copple of years ago together with his friend Larry Stanley.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea- the spruces

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

Some of my picea pungens:
    picea pungens 'Lundeby's Dwarf'

picea pungens 'Montgomery'

picea pungens 'Maigold'

picea pungens 'Stanley's Pygmy'
    {{gwi:648144}}
    picea pungens unknown

picea pungens 'Prostrate Blue Mist'

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

Hi Edwin,
    I really like your picea pungens 'Filip's Blue Compact': heel mooi!
    Richard

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Sprucebud, may I have permission to save and post your photos to the American Conifer Society Database?

Dax

My email:
    conifercollector@hotmail.com
    I would need (if you wish) your last name. A photo would be added and the caption would say: Photo a courtesy of Richard _____ of the UK. If you're a conifer society member of England, I will add that too.

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

Hi Dax,
    By all means - thanks. Will email you!
    Richard

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Edwin, 'Straw' was probably the best Picea find that day while I was visiting my friends Rich and Susan Eyre at Rich's Foxwillow Pines Nursery. I also found but did not photograph another 'Shiloh Weeping' that was a minimum of three times as large. A stake was not needed and the plant was very upright and weeping and still very narrow. Here is another 'Shiloh Weeping' that was never given a chance as a young graft to be grown upright. A waste of a good culitvar in my opinion:

'Benno'

'Bob's Broom'

'Egyptian Pyramid' very long needles

'Iseli Foxtail'

'Pinedale'

'Hoopsii'

'Corbit' for Edwin. Larger-specimen(s):

Sorry for this blurry photo, otherwise a nice pungens:
    'JB's Broom'

'Orphan Spring'

One of my favorites: 'Rifle Blue' It appears as very very dark blue and almost shiny, hence the name:

'Sunshine'

These are all at Bickelhaupt Arboretum, Clinton Iowa, USA. The first photo is not, however.

Dax

'Linda's Mad Dancer' this plant died last at Bickelhaupt Arb. last year but another remains at Hidden Lake Gardens 'Harper Collection' - I think I may have seen it for sale also, in the US. It is a seedling origin:

'Gotelli Prostrate' The very best flat groundcover. Very rarely does it throw up any leaders:
    {{gwi:631529}}

'Christina' (WB)

'Tuponis' (WB)

'Blue Totem'

'Glauca Compacta'

'Glauca Procumbens'

'Hillside'

'Mrs. Cessarini' a plant that dies unexpectably frequently.

'St. Mary's Broom'

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Orphan Spring and Hoopsii above are the wrong photos:

'Orphan Spring'

'Hoopsii'

A few more from The Harper Collection, Michigan USA:

'Moerheim'

'Thomsen'

'The Blues'

'R.H. Montgomery'

'Glauca Prostrata'

'Glauca Pendula'

'J. James'

Dax

• arceesmith
    14 years ago

That is quite the parade - some really great selections!

The 'Sester Dwarf' looks like it needs more sunshine!

The 'Prostrate Blue Mist' appears to be mislabeled. Shouldn't have yellow new growth. Should be powder blue.

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dax and Richard,
    You both are making this parade complete with these pictures!

Is it also possible for me to use these pictures for the Dutch Conifer Society database?
    Henk and I want to start with this big job this Winter.

Dax,
    The 'Glauca Pendula' you show us isn't weeping, only the branches at the bottom are creeping.
    It's a complete differend one as Dave showed us a while ago in his front yard.

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

Yes, please feel free to use any of my pictures for the database.
    Richard

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Will,
    We are still waiting for your half a dozen Picea pungens cultivars pictures ;0)

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

Working on it! My poor little guys don't have much character yet - but believe it or not I still have a handful of picea pungens that haven't been posted yet.

I also have a VERY different looking 'blue pearl' then yours, though perhaps it is mostly just the lighting that is making any difference.

I'll go take some shots today.

Will

• stevemy
    14 years ago

Picea pungens 'Taponis'

From New Conifer Arrivals

Picea pungens 'Woods 2'
    From New Conifer Arrivals

Picea pungens 'Straw'
    From New Conifer Growth 2009

Picea pungens 'Glauca Globosa' on STD
    From New Conifer Growth 2009

Picea pungens 'Dietz Prostrate'
    From Picea pungens

Picea pungens 'Rick's White Tip'
    From Red PIne

Lots more still to come
    Steve

• clement_2006
    14 years ago

Picea pungens "Bastion"

• haloperidol
    14 years ago

Picea pungens 'Scottie'

Picea pungens 'Globosa'

Picea pungens 'Montana Ave'

Picea pungens 'Lundeby's Dwarf'

Picea pungens 'St. Mary's Broom'

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Some more

Picea pungens 'Gloria'
    {{gwi:728597}}

Picea pungens 'Jean Iseli'
    {{gwi:728599}}

Picea pungens 'Kosno'
    {{gwi:728601}}

Picea pungens (Prostrate) 'Blue Mist'
    {{gwi:728602}}

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

That's a great picea pungens 'Blue Mist'. Interesting, making me wonder if the one I have which was sold to me as such actually is something different?

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Edwin & Henk,

I'd be happy to send each of you a CD collection of my photos along with a very nice collection of photos from an old friend. There are probably 1000-1200 photos. I'll send both you guys an email tonite.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone and don't stop the photos. Anyone else who would like to give me their permission to use photos, please send me an email with your screen name and your real name to:
    conifercollector@hotmail.com

Thanks!!!

Dax

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Some others:

'Delp's Dwarf Blue'

'Fat Albert' - not so fat!

'Mom'
    {{gwi:675927}}

'Regal Chub' / Used to be 'Charming Chub' which is incorrect because that name had already been given to Abies concolor 'Charming Chub'. From Chub Harper's Garden:

'Viola'
    {{gwi:728605}}

Edwin Regarding the 'Glauca Pendula' -- that's very simple to answer as there are many reasons for a cultivar to look different and with this cultivar it already has to be staked to gain apicial dominance and that's not to say that as a "groundcover pungens" rambles that it won't always throw up leaders. That plant..... is 35 years old! You nor I could ever know how it had been trained prior nor could we know what else "occurred" during its' process of, time... "Am I right?"

Dax

• clement_2006
    14 years ago

Picea pungens "Mecki"

Picea pungens "Sonia"

Picea pungens "Pali"

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

I still have a few left to show. Someone posted a few I had hidden away, 'Montana Ave.' and 'Scottie'.

I am at work for the next couple days though so they'll have to wait.

Will

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Absolutely look forward to it Will.

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

'Ossario's Dwarf'
    {{gwi:728609}}

• clement_2006
    14 years ago

Picea pungens "Blue Trinket"

• kmanzfive laknee
    14 years ago

Picea pungens 'Ruslyn's Blue Moon'

Picea pungens 'Weslii'

Picea pungens 'Spring Yellow' a miniature form

Picea pungens 'Ruslyn's Blue Moon' on a standard

• kmanzfive laknee
    14 years ago

Well...better late than never. This one is called Picea pungens 'Donehy's Golden'

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Never heard of that one Kevin, is there any history ?

• kmanzfive laknee
    14 years ago

Hey Blue.....I got from a orchid grower in Vermont. He said that he may of got it from Bob Fincham. So I contacted Bob a couple of years ago and he never heard of it. So I guess its a mystery.

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

Okay, also better late then never. They're small! Maybe in a couple years I'll have some better pics anyway.

Pretty sure all of these haven't been posted yet:

Picea pungens 'Baby Blues'

Picea pungens 'Donna's Rainbow'

Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring'

Picea pungens 'Copeland'

Picea pungens 'Blue Magoo' - One year graft

Picea pungens 'Teton Tower' - One year graft

Picea pungens 'Baby Blue Eyes' - A hard life so far - but welcomed to my gardens.

Picea pungens x omorika 'Kosteri' - a Whistling Gardens hybrid. Apparent growth habit of omorika 'Pendula' with more blue needles.

Picea pungens 'Karina' - Last years growth remained golden/blue until Spring.

Picea pungens 'Victor' - Don't know much about it.

Picea pungens 'Mesa Verde'

Picea pungens 'Stanley's Gold'

Picea pungens 'Aubies Spreader'

Picea pungens 'Blue Pearl' - Showing a bit more blue then a couple other shots I've seen.

Picea pungens 'Walnut Glen'

A few more hidden around here, just have to remember where!

Will

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Some nice plants there Will, I think the 'Blue Magoo' is engelmannii ?

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

Yep, woops, the plastic label it came with has worn away. Sure looks like engelmannii. Thanks for the correction.

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the photos. I'm all caught up for those of you who allow me to save them for the ACS Database.

Kind Regards,

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, this is one of the best topics ever since I'm a member of this
    forum. I want to thank everyone who add some pictures or comments about these Picea pungens cultivars.
    For those who add the pictures I also want to ask permission to use these for the Dutch Conifer Database.
    Many thanks in advance!

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

100% permission from me. I should ask Bob Fincham if he'd let me post some images from his terrific website - it's LOADED with hi-res shots of some amazing and rare plants.

Do Picea omorika parade next, in my opinion!

Will

• clement_2006
    14 years ago

Picea pungens " Waldbrunn" with conical shape.
    {{gwi:629277}}

No problem for using my photo, but please use a representative photo.
    I think to Pinus jeffrey in "Conifers The illustrated encyclopedia",the plant showed growth in extrem condition,it's interesting to see this plant, but also a "normal " tree.
    Clément

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Clement - your 'Waldbrunn' is typical for a grafted plant, seems to stay flatter/lower and tighter when rooted from cuttings.

{{gwi:728637}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

Picea pungens 'Donehy's Golden' looks a lot like my p p sunshine.. which cant seem to get the idea that it should go vertical.. versus a branches lateral ..

ken

• kmanzfive laknee
    14 years ago

Hey Ken

Regarding 'Donehy's Golden'
    I have 2 Picea pungens 'Sunshine' my self. One I got from Gee's a couple of years ago when I made the trek from NH to MI. The 'Sunshine' I got from Masonhollow Nursery who got it from this orchid grower in VT. Point being the 2 Sunshines are different. Needle color, length of spring flush etc., Donehy's Golden in my yard out performs them in my humble opinion. Once the color hardens off you have a splashes of cream through out the plant the entire season thru winter. The dam thing in brillant. Who the hell really knows maybe it just comes down to that naming of plants thing. More confusion.

• dcsteg
    14 years ago

I was looking a sprucebud's 'Lundeby's Dwarf'

Mine for comparison. Same cultivar?

Dave
    {{gwi:728645}}

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

Hi Dave,
    Yes, I will provide some further information on this plant. I purchased it from a UK seller on ebay and it was advertised as a rare cultivar (they claimed to be able to source a wide range of rare and diverse plants in general) so I decided to snap it up. If you look at the Iseli website, it does tend to resemble their picture. However, I agree that it does look rather different to yours. Anyway, perhaps some other people can post a photo too.
    Hope that explains a bit!
    Richard

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

haloperidol also posted a 'Lundeby's Dwarf' in this thread, which does look similar to Dave's rather than Richard's ?

• henksgarden
    14 years ago

Picea pungens Radatz

Henk

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

I contacted the vendor again to request more information and she said that the supplier had provided the plant as picea pungens 'Lundeby's Dwarf'. However, I have also contacted Iseli (since they sell this cultivar) to see what they thought based on the photo below:

Of course, they cannot be certain based on a photo alone but after six of them had taken a look, they felt it could be either 'Lundeby's Dwarf' or 'St Mary's Broom'.
    Any further opinions welcome.

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Richard, if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy the plant ?

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

Just checked: I bought it on ebay and it was from Plants-on-line.co.uk (Essex)

• gardener365
    14 years ago

I have a few more good ones here:

Picea pungens 'RM 203' Jerry Morris Red Mountain, Colorado. A place where many brooms were found, evidently.
    {{gwi:668982}}

Picea pungens 'Edit' "aka 'Edith' -- written as exactly from Porterhowse Nursery Availability. I'm sticking to 'Edit' sorry guys -- Don Howse is just one of those special people like Edwin/coniferjoy is. He's an American Authority as is Bob Fincham and when Bob tells me he had lunch with Dr. Barabit and that Edit was his wife's name and that the plant was named by Dr. Barabit for his wife, I'm going to have to go with Bob on this one all the way. I won't debate it anymore, sorry. And sorry for bringing it up again.
    {{gwi:728650}}

Picea pungens 'Mom' Chub Harper's garden.

Picea pungens 'Regal Chub'

Last one:
    Picea pungens 'Viola'
    {{gwi:692305}}

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Dax - you really do take the biscuit! we have been all through this I don't know how many times, and even come up with concrete evidence to prove that 'Edith is the correct name, I would guess Don Howse was only falling in line with Bob Fincham on listing it as Edit. Your be telling me next that Picea pungens St Mary is the correct name instead of 'Picea pungens 'St Mary's Broom' ??