Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

East side. Part 2.

dcsteg
11 years ago

Not much here but part of the big picture. Just enough sun for a few conifers planted in the right spot.

Dave

{{gwi:728921}}

{{gwi:728924}}

{{gwi:728927}}

{{gwi:728929}}

Thuja orientalis Degroot's Spire. 3-10 ft and 3-3 ft.

Fagus sylvatica 'Roseo-Marginata'

Acer palmatum 'Kotohime'

Picea austromandshurica 'Silba' This name is a synonym of Picea jezoensis (Siebold & Zucc.) Carrière. Purchased from Larry Stanley. He knows nothing about it or where he got it. A really weird grower that I think in time would make a good impenetrable screen if planted close enough together.

Acer palmatum 'Ever Red'

Picea abies 'Montgomery'

Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira'

Picea glauca 'Rainbow's End'

Acer palmatum 'Coonara Pgmy'

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Emelie'

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Gemstone'

Cryptomeria japonica Tansu'

Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'

Acer palmatum 'Sharp's Pgmy'

Pinus parviflora 'Tanima no yuki' Spelling Edwin...

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana Lutea'

Pinus mugo 'Pot o' Gold' I see 3-4 different spellings for this.

3 Buxus microphylla 'Morris Midget'

Ginkgo biloba 'Mariken'

Pinus mugo 'Pot o Gold' Edwin???

Comments (9)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Dave, Pinus mugo 'Pot O' Gold' is the correct name.

Pinus parviflora 'Tanima no yuki'
    Almost correctly spelled, it's 'Tanima-no-yuki'

Unfortunately I see some incorrect written names which you wrote in the right way before...
    These are:

Thuja orientalis Degroot's Spire
    Mustbe written as
    Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire'

Picea abies 'Montgomery'
    Must be written as
    Picea pungens 'R.H. Montgomery'

Your strange Picea isn't a Picea jezoensis for sure.
    Maybe the species experts here can help you out...

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

The stonework is exquisite, there's already a feeling that it's been there for a hundred years. How much of the mossy/covering did you plant? Any?

Also, do your neighbors get upset at all about the leaves that fall on their side? I will have these concerns years from now and not quite sure what will happen. I know I'll do what I can to blow them off once they are down, but some people freak out as soon as leaves on down, even if they don't stay long.

I am by no means an expert on spruce or species, but to me there is a hint of picea smithiana in your spruce. Can you provide closeups for us to work with?

Great GREAT place to walk/sit, and the Fagus sylvatica 'Roseo-Marginata' is epic.

-Will

• Cher
    11 years ago

Great shots. Love that path and bench. Even though the goal was to get on out back, it looks private and peaceful.
    Cher

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Dave, may we see some more pictures of that Picea? I'd like to see top and bottom shoots of new and old growth & of the needles along the main trunk at about 3 years growth beneath the leader.

Thanks,

Dax

• ricksample
    11 years ago

Excellent!

Will - Sometimes you have to live with 'one of those neighbors' lol... my neighbor has some very large oaks across the street there canopy is over the road. Durning fall I get a good amount of leaves. I like it... it's free fertilizer for the grass and there is nothing like a cool fall day mulching leaves with the riding mower. Nothing makes me laugh more than seeing people bag there leaves. Around here I even see people baging there lawn clippings lol.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Will,

"How much of the mossy/covering did you plant? Any"?

All are ground covers that I have planted and have growing abundantly in my garden.

Actually I have 3 larger trees. Species Ginkgo, Brakens Brown and the small Fagus. Acer palm leaf drop is not worth talking about.

My problem is the prevailing SW winds that blow all the neighbors leaves into my yard. A really big clean up for me in the spring. I love the neighbors oaks that always drop their leaves in March/April after clean up.

I am confused about the Picea austromandshurica 'Silba'.

From Google: Picea austromandshurica Silba

Family Pinaceae, Genus Picea

Taxonomic data provided by Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2008 Annual Checklist,
    using Conifer Database version Jun 2006
    Latest taxonomic scrutiny: Farjon A., 11-Jan-2006
    This name is incorrect - it's a synonym for Picea jezoensis subsp. jezoensis

Dax and all: I will post a close up when rain stops.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea austromandshurica 'Silba'

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Picea austromandshurica is indeed a synonym for Picea jezoensis var. jezoensis, so this theory is right.
    However, your specimen isn't this species at all, it's something totaly differend...

Silba isn't a cultivar name, it's the person who discribed this species.

This is the true Picea jezoensis var. jezoensis
    {{gwi:728930}}

{{gwi:728931}}

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dax...as you requested.

Trunk ...I see no graft.
    {{gwi:728932}}

3 ft. from top of leader. 1 ft.+ a year in growth.
    {{gwi:728933}}

Main leader.
    {{gwi:728934}}

Main leader bent over for close up.
    {{gwi:728935}}

Foliage.
    {{gwi:728936}}

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I think Picea rubens.

Dax