More weeding to do yet!

Dax

Benches for new seedlings/cuttings/grafts that get minimal sunlight:

{{gwi:729499}}

Juniperus communis 'Gold Cone'

{{gwi:729503}}

Larix gmelinii 'Romberg Park'

{{gwi:729505}}

Metasequoia behind Volkswagon Vanagon - 25 foot tree planted in 2001 at roughly 2.5 feet tall; Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace' in forefront:

{{gwi:390326}}

Neighbors Abies balsamea - Balsam Fir - It's real nice to look at all the time. It'll put any person in a chair in a trance. No doubt..

{{gwi:729508}}

Picea abies 'Pusch' finally growing. 1-gallon 2004 very small & flat plant:

{{gwi:729512}}

My favorite I think still. Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace'. Abies alba 'Spiralis' is pretty wild though too.

{{gwi:729516}}

Picea engelmannii 'Compact' - a Coenosium Gardens named clone:

{{gwi:729520}}

Another view of P.eng. 'Compact'; Planted 2003 as a 'large' one-gallon I have written in my notes. It's currently getting covered by the roots of my Red Maple only approximately twelve feet away. The Maples roots are growing up and over and back into the soil weaving a path over anything in its course; nice plant though:

{{gwi:729524}}

Picea glauca 'Pendula' 2004 @ five feet tall - 130 bucks. Now it's going on 8-9 feet tall. Incredible trees as huge specimens if you didn't know:

{{gwi:729529}}

This is this dumb in the shade Pinus nigra 'Morris WB' that I never can get a good photo of. I'm beginning a candle-prune on it to develop the lower front eliminating large chunks from the most back of candles. A huge 1-gallon plant purchased in 2003.

{{gwi:729533}}

Pinus resinosa 'Fastigiata' - 2003 huge 1-gallons.

{{gwi:729537}}

Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar' a less than 1-gallon root system planted last year sometime...

{{gwi:729543}}

Weeping Beeches measuring 6.5 feet and over 7 feet I bought today for 80 bucks each. Fagus sylvatica 'Purple Fountain':

{{gwi:729547}}

That was my day today. A lot of watering. Some weeding... and a trip to my favorite local nursery.

See ya,

Dax

Comments (11)

• kingn8
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great stuff there Dax! Quite an abode you've got there. Is this the new place?
    I especially like the dates along with the pics, and they will only get better with time.

Thanks,
    Nate

• karinl
    17 years ago

Sounds like the perfect day. Funny you should post those beeches - have been thinking about a Dawyck's purple, and have just planted a Dawyck's gold for my parents.

KarinL

• conifers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Karin, thanks Nate.

Here's where I'm moving Nate. I don't know how much time has been lost due to rain, negotiations, well agreements, you name it - a few months possibly added to our mid-June 'time-frame'.

I was told after this past Wednesday the driveway is about finished, the septic is now in (a pleasant thought), and the concrete for the basement and garage are finished. My contractor 'contracted' kidney stones, we had a week of rain delays - poor guy.. Makes me cringe. Yikes..

Here's my best shot of the property. My home is being built on the left side to the tree line seperating the land as seen. The right side I'll till paths for sowing seed, growing on grafts and cuttings etc- as well as a conifer perimeter and lots of carved garden patches (everywhere!).. What a project. I can't wait though. I sit here like a little kid typing away:
    {{gwi:729550}}

This picture was taken on Wednesday, four days ago. This is the to-be garage.
    {{gwi:729554}}

This is the basement which is attached to the garage - They're both about the same size.. I'm having three bays, two for cars, one for power-tools, equipment, and a place to overwinter plants should I need a place. I don't want the 'nursery-look'.
    {{gwi:729557}}

This is that 'little' barrier that seperates the property. Loaded with Quaking Aspens and Swamp Maples and native (I presume) Ash of some sort. It's a wet/dry steam and the property has a channel starting at the top of the road that has naturally eroded a path to this tree zone. I'll probably place rocks and a few little bridges so I can mow, etc -
    {{gwi:729560}}

My mother - to whom I can't thank enough. She truly is a wonderful lady. And, a nature lover.
    {{gwi:729563}}

Dax

• Grancru
    17 years ago

A river runs through it! Looks like a nice chunk o'land to play with. I can see it developing now. Looking good!

Gran...

• treelover3
    17 years ago

Hey, Dax, thanks for posting the photos. I am very envious.

What are your thoughts on leaving the place where you are living now? Are you going to move any of the plants that are in your landscape? If so, wow, what a project!

Love the 'Bush's Lace'. I need to get my plant in the ground.
    Mike

• kingn8
    17 years ago

What a place! That should keep you good and busy. How's the soil there anyways?
    I'm glad to see that this is all turning out for you.

Nate

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nate, the soil there is more clayish than I'd care for but not bad at all. It's definitely a good clay.

I took more photos yesterday as framing is now in progress.

Mike, I won't move them all. We, as a family, are going to sell my current home and some stuff I'll leave but, definitely not my favorite plants. I also have a lot of stuff in pots - so I'm hooked up to start. I'll also dig my conifers whenever I have too. I believe that transplanting is ok to do in mid-summer although nobody else here would probably 'risk' it. I'll just water them. That's the secret to being a good gardener.

Grancru, my friend, thanks! Feel free to donate plants...

Thanks a lot men! I feel the envy too. It's gotta be my shining personality and good looks that have gotten me thus far. I should have a wonderful place to live for the rest of my life.

The three car garage:
    {{gwi:296768}}

South side where you can see a window framed and a larger open framed spot for a slider glass door. I'm getting this real nice attached greenhouse, and I'll be able to see into it from the window but to enter, I'll need to go out through the slider glass doors into the elements and then enter the greenhouse (about 2 steps). We did it this way so that instead of walking right from the slider into, more space will be usable inside the greenhouse. If the slider door went directly in, then I'd lose wall space. I don't know. Frankly, my mom thought it all up. The window though is nice to release heat into the basement or vice versa as well as to see into it from the basement. Bonsai specimens will be the majority of plants my greenhouse will be taking up space for.
    {{gwi:729567}}

These are the newest in framing as never is a post needed from the basement floor holding up the above floor. Kind of an interesting photo for you construction junkies.
    {{gwi:729570}}

It's become a reality. Got my big-hog John Deere lawn tractor and a real nice rhototiller that drags behind, and pretty soon, I'll be out there cleaning it up and seeding and everything else. I feel real lucky. Thanks again to all you guys that send me scionwood and plants and seeds!

{{gwi:729574}}

• entling
    16 years ago

Dax - I'm so jelous! Where'd you find "Purple Fountain" beech for so cheap? I have to get 1 to plant this fall because my son was crying over the imminent demise of our "Crimson King" Norway Maple. No great loss to me, but he loves the tree (he even hugs it). I had to Google pics of purple-leaved trees, & he picked out the beech. (8 years old & already has good taste.) I had to promise that we would get 1 before he would stop crying.

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There's none left baby.

The Corn Crib Nursery, Coal Valley, IL.

Too bad you don't care.

Dax

Nate, here's a photo of the soil:
    {{gwi:729578}}

• kingn8
    16 years ago

Looks great! You'll need to keep on the watering though with all that nice sand. And no rocks to speak of either!

Nate

• dansgrdn
    16 years ago

Dax, looks like things are coming along great. Love the property! Thanks for posting the pictures so we can live vicariously. Dan