Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Four years of Picea orientalis 'Iseli Seedling'

A Coenosium purchase, one of my very first conifer picks in the Winter of 2008. It's gold in Winter, chartreuse in Spring and even brighter gold in Summer/Autumn. It seems to grow about 3-5 inches(7-13 cm) a year on the terminal leader and a few inches(3-5 cm) a year on the sides. It's basically a slower growing, more squat variety of Picea orientalis 'Skylands', a plant from which I believe it was selected. Maybe Randy can chime in here.

2008/2009(early Summer)

2013(Spring)

-Will

Comments (29)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Will, That is one sweet little tree! Nice progressive photos.
    AL

• Windhaven
    10 years ago

Love the shape and color but what I also noticed is how the backround evolved. The mulch type changes then lots more conifers in the pictures. Love it!

Robyn

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

It just gets better & better!
    Thanks for sharing. :)
    Here is what I believe to be the original plant at Iseli Nursery.

-Sam

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Is that Iseli plant reverting or was it sheared early in life?

tj

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Hey, tj.

It was cut for scion wood, and it was slow to develop a leader, but there is no reversion there.

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi Will,
    The correct name the Iseli Nursery gave to this plant is Picea orientalis '# 1 Sdlng Skylands'.
    The compact habit was grown natural, not from taking a lot of cuttings.
    It will grow faster later on when a strong leader will appaer.
    Also this one is susceptible for needle burn.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Great pictures of a beautiful plant.

Does anyone know, is this the same clone as that referred to as Picea orientalis 'Lil Sky'?

This post was edited by maple_grove on Fri, May 31, 13 at 5:54

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Will I really enjoy your progressive year conifer pics. Things are always so well grown and become showpieces in the garden so quickly. Thanks for sharing them.

Dan

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Alex, do you've a 'Lil Sky' in your garden?
    If so, can you show us a pic of it?
    Thanks!

Anyone familiar with Picea orientalis 'Skylands Prostrate'?
    Is this just a grafted side branch taken of a 'Skylands'?

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

No, I don't have 'Lil Sky', though I may get one this fall :0)

Coincidentally, I had just e-mailed Dennis a few days ago to ask if it was the same as '#1 Sdlng Skylands'. Am still waiting to hear back, and thought someone here might know about it.

• dietzjm
    10 years ago

Looks great, Will. I'm kind of surprised at how big this grows. I bought a P. orientalis 'Iseli Skylands Seedling' from Don Howse three years ago and it has been growing less than 2 inches per year. Perhaps it still is getting established. To me the growth rate of yours isn't much different from 'Skylands' itself.

Alex and Edwin, I just received a three year P. orientalis 'Lil Sky' from Dennis Dodge. I could post a picture here but honestly, it's not much to look at. Its old growth is a dark green (probably from the stress of grafting) and its new growth is lime green. It seems to have grown about 3 inches per year so far. Dennis described it to me as a dwarf seedling selection of 'Skylands'. The only place that has is listed on the internet is Buchholz. Perhaps it originated there?

Will, do you grow Bob Fincham's P. orientalis 'Sunrise'? I have one on order for the fall. It seems to grow more slowly than the Iseli seedling.

Matt

• sluice
    10 years ago

Great time progression pics. I like the color!

• arceesmith
    10 years ago

The Iseli #1 Seedling is one of several seedlings that were being evaluated for a number of years at Iseli Nursery. #1 has not yet been distributed.

Some of the same crop of seedlings were donated to the ACS and auctioned several years ago. It is extremely unlikely that Will has the (as of yet unnamed) #1 seedling. It is very likely that his is a clone of one of the others that were distributed. Looks like he has a great plant, but with all the nomenclature problems already in our world, let's not get this one mixed up too!

The #1 seedling is growing about 6-7 inches of leader growth per year now. 'Skylands' in our gardens grows 12-15 inches per year. The #1 Seedling is definitely a more dwarf form. It does also appear to be a brighter yellow than 'Skylands'.

Ed gives a pretty good history in one of his articles and in the comments following the story.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ed's 'Skylands' seedling story.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

While we're on the topic, how about the Conifer Kingdom offering of Picea orientalis 'Iseli Seedling'? Is this one '# 1 Sdlng Skylands' or is it a clone of one of the others?

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 12:48

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

EDIT: remove duplicate post

This post was edited by maple_grove on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 12:01

• arceesmith
    10 years ago

The Picea orientalis seedling of 'Skylands' referred to as #1 Seedling at Iseli (and pictured above by Sam and in the link I provided) has not been distributed.

Someone with Conifer Kingdom would need to answer your question as to the origin of their plant. It may have been one that was donated to and auctioned by the ACS as mentioned above.

• brentm
    10 years ago

Re: While we're on the topic, how about the Conifer Kingdom offering of Picea orientalis 'Iseli Seedling'? Is the '# 1 Sdlng Skylands' or is it a clone of one of the others?
    -------------

Our scion came from the same plant as Wills in the post above.

-Brent

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Randy and Brent for this information. I have seen Ed's story before and enjoyed reading it again. It looks like there are a lot of interesting seedlings of Skylands hitting the market, and it'll be interesting to see if and how they distinguish themselves.

Sorry, Will, if I've steered this thread OT. These questions developed naturally out of my admiration for your fine plant. :o)

Alex

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not at all, the history behind plants, particularly if it helps naming, identifying and doing some detective work, is very very relevant to this thread.

I *think* I can speak to Conifer Kingdom's Iseli Seedling offering, as a few years ago, I sent grafts to Brent with that labeling, and so thus, they are almost certainly NOT the same plant '#1 Sdlng Skylands', but rather a clone or another seedling that will need more research to determine it's exact origin. I can say that the plants from Conifer Kingdom, if they are grafts that I sent, are from the specimen I've posted at the top.

Maybe someone with a lot more experience than I have can step in and offer some more suggestions or evidence to the plant I have. It was sold from Coenosium gardens in about 2008/2009, so Bob can probably shed some light on things if he wanders through.

Cheers.

-Will

• brentm
    10 years ago

Re: I can say that the plants from Conifer Kingdom, if they are grafts that I sent, are from the specimen I've posted at the top.
    ---------
    Yes, they are. We are selling the variety Will has posted photos of at the start of this post, as Picea orientalis 'Iseli Seedling' - this is what we received the scions as.

-Brent

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

Hey guys,

are you sure that what we're looking at here isn't one of Bob's own Skylands seedlings that he did at Coenosium Gardens. There is one that he has just named and will start selling in the fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea orientalis 'Sunrise'

• brentm
    10 years ago

This is not Picea orientalis 'Sunrise' which we have had from Bob for the past year or so. Bob had never propagated 'Sunrise' until I requested it around November 2011 and he named it.

The photo in the link you included is the original plant, in partial shade. No plants exist that are larger than 2-years old.

This is what I recall from discussions and meetings with Bob in the past.

-Brent

• bobfincham
    10 years ago

I got my original plant from Don Howse as Iseli Seedling and listed it with that same name. I do not know how Don got it. If it was one of the ACS donations, then perhaps it should be considered a varietal name rather than a cultivar name?

Bob

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Randall said "Looks like he has a great plant, but with all the nomenclature problems already in our world, let's not get this one mixed up too!"

This is Iseli's own fault, because THEY donated some seedlings without a name to an ACS auction.
    How stupid can you be to gave it a cultivar name ahead of an auction.
    Any name is ok, even when it was the name of your neighbours wife, it NEEDS a name before it get spread!
    Even a varietal name will not work, this also will give confusions.

Now there are a ton of 'differend Skylands' seedlings availlable and another bigg mess has started...man, what is this a very sad situation...

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Matt, look what I got here, I just found it after taking pics of the Picea glauca var. albertiana 'Crestwood Kenny':

Picea orientalis 'Lil Sky'

Another one in the same bed:
    Picea orientalis (Skylands sdlg. Robert Aebel)

Picea orientalis (Skylands sdlg Robert Aebel), original seedling

Picea orientalis 'Skylands Prostrate' (5 years old)

• dietzjm
    10 years ago

That 'Lil Sky' looks great. Do you know where you got the scion wood from, Edwin?

I have a feeling we're going to start to see a bunch of different seedlings from 'Skylands' soon.

• Jim F
    5 months ago

Hey guys. I have a Picea Skylands 1 gallon. Am I supposed to stake a leader of just let it develop one on its own. I staked one for about 6 months without any new growth and am wondering if I should remove the stake? Thanks so much everyone!

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 months ago

Hey Jim, If you could post a photo or two and let folks know your general location that will help you get some good responses...is your one gal. planted out or still in its pot?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 months ago

need pix...

many conifer have only a spring growth spurt.. and thats about it for the season.. so its not surprising you havent seen any growth in 6 months...

i killed about 4 of there... well .. actually... they were suicides ... lol .. it will help us help you.. if we know where you are.. big city name...

what ever happened to firefighter.. and his garden?

ken

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living