Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Longleaf Pine broom grafted

Posted by treeguy123 7b (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 19:11

I found this Longleaf Pine (Pinus palustris) broom in late 2012. And I successfully grafted several scions to Loblolly pine seedlings this spring. Here are pictures of the broom and grafts, I'll have to come up with a name as well.
These should also be cold hardy in at least parts of zone 6, since it's from the natural northern range edge. The parents have probably seen short cold episodes below -10F or -15F (-23 to -26 C). As far As I know, this is the first cultivated Longleaf Pine broom.

Here are new needles emerging from the Longleaf pine broom scion buds:

The broom scions are grafted to Loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) seedlings:

This post was edited by treeguy123 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 1:32

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Longleaf Pine broom grafted

super...

but i think they look sickly ... you will have to send me one for observation ...

rotflmbo ...

after my z4 winter... i think.. NOT!!!!

anyway.. congrats ...

did you do the nasty deed with the rootstock in the ground????

ken

o

Thanks. : )
They were grafted to wild Loblolly pine seedlings that have been naturally growing in ground for at least a few years now.

o

how did you manage to time that all out???

ken

o

I collected scion on March 2nd (kind of late) but thankfully this has been a long cold winter, and these more northern stands I'm sure bud out later than most anyway. Removed needles, waxed, and put in fridge until wild Loblolly pine seedlings started pushing buds, then I grafted (Tried to wait until after the last freeze also). The scion buds have just started pushing growth in the past two weeks or so.

This post was edited by treeguy123 on Sat, May 10, 14 at 21:33

o

Nice!

Can you provide more details about the waxing process?

o

Yeah, it's paraffin wax <190F in a double boiler, just coat and let them dry. Too hot could damage the scion. It prevents desiccation similar to how a humidity chamber prevents desiccation. Many pine breeders do this.

This post was edited by treeguy123 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 0:26

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 14 at 11:52

That's an impressive accomplishment -- good work. Hope they do OK.

Longleafs here did OK after a zone5ish winter. Some windburn on oldest needles, but no bud-death. One had a double-leader up high, but the snow-loads bent one downward, solving the issue.

o

Thanks.
That's really good for doing OK through zone 5 type winter. I think this one has a good chance of needle cold hardiness to zone 5a or 5b being that it from the very northern edge of range in AL. Yours came from AL didn't it? I read that in a old past post.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 8:35

Right, from a wholesale forestry nursery in the northeast AL mountains. They're called 'Montane' longleaf, and that nursery was working to get some of the mountain stands reestablished.

o

Good quest to bring this cultivar forth. Happy success.

o

Thanks.

o

This is only three days of growth for another graft I made of this same Longleaf Pine broom (all grafted to Loblolly Pine seedlings):

3 days of growth animation for the broom bud growth: :-)

This post was edited by treeguy123 on Tue, May 13, 14 at 23:16

o

That's incredible!

o

Indeed

o

• Posted by Jarpe z4-z5 Finland (My Page) on
    Sat, May 17, 14 at 16:03

Oh my god! This is really like wow!!!!!! Can you show us more with this magnificent technique?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here