Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

sunny day spruces

dansgrdn
14 years ago

Beautiful sunny day today. Here are a few Picea photos.

Picea abies 'Gold Drift'

My Picea abies 'Acrocona' is taking over the place :)

Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring'

Picea pungens 'Walnut Glen'

Dan

Comments (24)

• wisconsitom
    14 years ago

Nice stuff, Dan, even if I am one of those big trees/species/forests kind of guys! And though I've seen the name mentioned here before, given that cultivars are not my main thing, I've never looked into it, but what is the deal with the P. abies 'Acrocona'? That is, will this be a more or less full-sized tree? I could of course, look it up, but I'd be interested to here your take on it.

I'll bet you're really liking the sunshine, given the torrential rains that have been the norm in your area of late.

+oM

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

I'll pipe in here, if you don't mind Dan. 'Acracona' is a relative(compared to the species) slow growing NS, probably growing more like 6-10" a year and also often having a wide profile with that 'sagging' effect. It is usually chosen for it's extremely heavy(and early) production of those red cones which gives the tree an even stronger pendulous effect.

While I am not a conifer expert by any means, I did stay at a Holiday-Inn last night.

Will

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi +om, Will's description of 'Acrocona' is spot on. (and really funny I might add, I love those commercials) I have a particular fondness for this cultivar because it was the first conifer cultivar in my garden, planted about 7 years ago. My neighbor planted a species Picea abies of similar size in his backyard at about the same time which is now about twice the height of my 'Acrocona', so I get to enjoy both which is great. I also like it because it provides some privacy from my neighbors when I'm sitting on the patio. So go ahead and plant a cultivar or two +om, it won't hurt ;). At least that's what I said 250 cultivars ago :). Have a great week.

Dan

• barbaraincalif
    14 years ago

Boy, I just don't watch enough TV. Actually had to google that holiday inn catch phrase to get the joke.

The yard is beautiful Dan...keep the pictures coming please!

Barbara

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

Dan, I'd be glad to hear about any 'gardening habits' you have as far as watering, mulching, pruning, fertilizing(if any). Simply put, your garden is right there with only a couple other gardens on these forums as the most incredibly healthy plants I've seen. It seems like they are photoshopped at times.

If you have a few odd habits, I'm sure all of us would love to emulate them.

Also, since Barbara is new to them and you love them, here's the best Holiday-Inn video in my humble opinion...

Here is a link that might be useful: Karl dominates jeopardy

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

Hi Dan,
    I love your photos and choice of plants. I think the picea pungens 'Walnut Glen' is special.
    Richard

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Barb and Richard.

Thanks for the nice comments Will. I think its mostly just a matter of taking photos when things are in their Spring prime. I don't fertilize the conifer beds, but one thing that may be a little different about my garden is that almost everything is planted in some type of raised bed or low burm. My soil below about 4 inches is heavy clay that you could throw on a potters wheel so I like to get things up. Fortunately there is a decent slope to my yard which makes this easy to do. As far as mulching goes I always use small to fine pine bark.

Thanks again, Dan

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A couple more Spruce shots.

Picea glauca 'Goldilocks' glowing in early evening sun

Got this one last year from Coenosium

Picea pungens 'Spring Ghost' in weird light
    purchased as fresh graft from Collector's Nursery a number of years ago. It's finally turning into a nice little tree.

Dan

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Very nice plants as always Dan, so what else is on order from Dennis ?

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Nice pictures indeed Dan, I realy like the 'Spring Ghost'.
    How long does is keep it's white new growth?
    If I'm not wrong the 'Walnut Glenn' is also one with this white new growth, but seen at this picture it fades back to blue earlier then the 'Spring Ghost'?

• wisconsitom
    14 years ago

Thnx Dan and Will, for your input as well. Methinks I've seen this plant around here and there.

Truth be told, I work with cultivars all the time. But that is literally in my work as a municipal horticulturist, and not especially conifer related. Some of the most amazing horticultural displays I've ever seen were those of conifer gardens, but that's well beyond the scope of what I/we do or can do at work. When it comes to conifers, my main interest remains that of forest trees. But the garden stuff is cool too ;^)

+oM

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stephen, I had to look up an old e-mail because I had forgotten what I had ordered from Dennis. Not sure if I'll get them all, but here's the list.
    Abies concolor 'Blue Sapphire', Abies concolor 'Mike Stern'
    Abies lasiocarpa 'Kyle's Alpine', Abies koreana 'Blue Magic'
    Picea orientalis 'Professor Lagner'
    Picea pungens 'Blue Moon'
    Picea pungens 'Porcupine'
    Pinus nigra 'Pitchounet'
    Pinus parviflora 'Billie'
    Pinus parviflora 'Linda'

Coniferjoy, the picture of the 'Walnut Glen' is pretty representative of the Spring color I get with it. The 'Spring Ghost' is much whiter and if I remember correctly lasts 3-4 weeks. I'll try to pay closer attention this year and will report back.

Thanks, Dan

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Dan is that a Spanish fir behind your pungens, or what is it, about a foot tall?

Dax

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Very nice selection Dan, I suspect Coniferjoy will correct the spelling for Blue Sapphire though :0)

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

'Blue Saphir' I presume :).

Dax, Yes that's Abies pinsapo 'Aurea' behind the 'SG'. I've had it about 5 years and it has grown really slowly. It's one of my hold outs from my earlier more agressive Zone busting attempts. It doesn't look great but each year it pushes new growth.

Thanks,
    Dan

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Bluespruce is right, it's not 'Blue Sapphire', also not 'Blue Saphir' but 'Blue Safir', it's found as a witches'broom at the Malik Nursery, Czech Republic.
    Almost everyone has misspeld this name in their collection.

Also Picea orientalis Professor Lagner' must be written as 'Professor Langner'

Indeed nice selection from Dennis.
    I'm wondering how his health is now.

• clement_2006
    14 years ago

About Pinus nigra "Pitchounet" the correct name have not "T" = Pichounet !

Pinus nigra "Pichounet"

Clément

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info coniferjoy and Clement.

Dan

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Hey Edwin - Czech collectors, Holata, Balatka, and Borovec, all listing 'Blue Saphir' not 'Blue Safir' ??

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Bluespruce,

Then they are all wrong.
    Didn't you noticed the nametag at Malik's nursery when we visited him?

I think this mistake is because of the Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Sapphire Nympf'

Original broom of 'Safir' in Abies concolor 'Violacea'

• pardak
    14 years ago

Dan, those conifers look great. Thanks for sharing the photos! You have a wonderful collection.

Thanks to this thread I might now have to look around for a Picea pungens 'Spring Ghost' for my yard. I've never seen a conifer with near-white foliage like that. I'm not sure where to get one but it looks fantastic.

• bobfincham
    14 years ago

Whichever is the correct spelling for the blue gemstone would be the correct spelling of the name. When I visited Malik's Nursery with the DCS a number of years ago, I was asked to suggest a name. They liked my suggestion and put their spelling to it. I have always seen it as 'Blue Saphir', which I assumed was either Dutch or Czech for Sapphire.

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Edwin - I didn't notice the name tag when we were there, but I am having a hard time believing that three major Czech collectors have the Czech spelling for sapphire incorrect.

• rockstonegarden
    13 years ago

here's a little spruce i found in my parrents' farm hedgerow in Nova Scotia

Here is a link that might be useful: Moonlight Spruce

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH