Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_yard_guy

Abies fraseri: Many cones, no pollen

the_yard_guy
9 years ago

Hi all. Simple question about a species Abies fraseri. It's about 12ft tall, looks very healthy. No sign of stress or damage except some buck rubbing about 5 years ago and some deer browsing from this winter. Loaded with new green buds opening this week.

Last year and again this year this tree has at least 50 or 60 cones in the top part of the tree but I see only 2 or 3 very small clumps of male flowers on the tree. Last year was the same.

Is this normal or should there be more male flowers to provide pollen? Our Picea glauca trees are always covered with male flowers and yellow pollen but this Abies fraseri seems to produce very few of them. Maybe this is due to its young age or some environmental factor?

Thanks.

TYG

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

were there any seeds in last years cones??? ... that would be... wings with the attached seed kernel ....

thats the best way to tell if pollen is around

are there any left.. under the tree ... check them ...

i am wondering.. if you are presuming there is no pollen.. simply because you cant see it??

ken

• the_yard_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken,

Yes last year I noted that all of the cones I looked at had seeds in them. I didn't save the seeds or try to plant them so I don't know if the seeds were fertilized and viable or not. But cones did have seeds.

Correct me if wrong but I thought there needs to be a decent amount of male pollen to fertilize the cones, otherwise the seeds are not viable. I'm no expert but that's my understanding. Is that correct? With so few male flowers on the tree I'm thinking there is not much pollen for fertilization and that very few seeds would be capable of germination..

Thanks

TYG

• pineresin
    9 years ago

Pollen tends to be produced more by older trees, so the ratio will likely change as they mature. But the pollen cones are small, and easy to overlook, so there may be more than you saw.

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

open any cone...

if all you have is wings.. as i understand it... then there is no fertilization ..

if there is a kernal attached to a wing.. then they were fertilized...

i will defer to anyone who knows more than me .. on this ..

i hope.. this fall.. if it cones again ... that you will actually try to germinate them.. ya know.. you dont have to keep them.. but it is the simplest test to find out ...

the question that remains.. is whether they will be fert'd by fraseri only ... and that question might make me stupid ... lol ...

is there cross pollination between certain pines???

ken

• the_yard_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Resin:

Thanks for the info. So is it correct to say that in general conifers produce more cones than pollen at a younger age? That might explain why the Abies fraseri is loaded with cones the last couple of years but has very few male pollen cones. I'm guessing this particular tree is maybe 15 or 20 years old.

I am attaching a photo taken this week. Not the best quality but should give you an idea about the cones. A few cone remnants from last year are also visible.

@ Ken:
    Yes I recall last October or November that when I inspected the cones they fell apart right away but they did have seeds in them. The seeds looked like "normal" fir seeds to me, with the oval seeds attached to the wings. That part I am sure about. I do not know how to tell if a seed is fertilized or viable just by looking at it.

This fall I will gather some seeds and try to germinate them as a test.

I am not a biology expert but I have not heard of a pine or spruce tree being able to fertilize a Fraser fir. I just believed conifers had to be fertilized by the same type of tree.

Thanks to you both!

TYG

• pinetree30
    9 years ago

I think some confusion is creeping into this discussion. Here are some points for your consideration:
    Yes, it would be normal for your firs to produce pollen cones in the same years they produce seed cones. However, natural variation will see to it that every rule gets violated now and then. It is not unusual to see a conifer that normally produces both sexes, to produce mainly one.
    Also, good seeds are unlikely without cross pollination. Self pollination usually leads to low seed yield in conifers, and to seedlings of low vigor in the seeds that do mature.
    Finally, yes, firs need firs, pines need pines, spruces need spruces, etc. Crossing between genera is not in the cards.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio