Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Post your blues here.

Picea pungens 'Edith'. Could Picea Pungens 'Edith' be the very bluest conifer out there? Quite possibly. Discussion material for sure.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Fri, May 30, 14 at 19:22

Comments (33)

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

I think you right Dave. Even if 'Edith' and 'Hoopsi' are the same color, 'Edith' provides the more superior form. I think the Europeans are certain that 'Edith' is the bluest. It's tough to find in the US and seems to always be written as 'Edit'. (No need to debate, just wanted to point out that the US seems to always write it this way!)

Any ideas on the true growth rate of this cultivar? They seem to be all over the place depending on where you look.

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SC77, I believe there was a discussion several years ago between Bob F. and Edwin as to the correct cultivar name. Can't remember how it turned out. Anyway it's posted on Planet Conifer and Edwin is a big participator there every day so we will see what they call it in Europe.

Dave

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

Yep, I have read that. In Europe it is always called 'Edith', but Bob F. was pretty confident that Dr. Barabits intended for it to be called 'Edit'... pretty heated debate I guess, but either way, it seems to live on as 'Edit' in the US and 'Edith' in Europe.

Here was at least one of the treads that discussed this: Picea pungens 'Edit' Debate .

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

I'll toss in a few. 'St. Marys Broom'

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

High grafted 'Thume'...potted up and not yet planted.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Pp 'Procumbens'

• fairfield8619
    9 years ago

Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Samurai' as blue as it gets here. It's still growing as a branch, I hope not forever.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

It will probably sprout a new leader at the base that will have a better sense of what's up. (Apical dominance) It will also be more vigorous.
    Your plant was started by a branch cutting.
    How is 'Samurai' different from 'Glauca"?
    Mike

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

A couple more...Pp 'Slenderina'

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Never heard of Samurai, either.

Al, you have a classy garden. I've always thought that.

Dave, I think 'Edith' is the best. I used to have a photo Clement took of his tree, but, I don't know where it is right now. The size of his tree trumps all Google photos. I'll shoot Clement an email.

I'll try to add to this thread later, myself.

Dax

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Pp 'Sester Dwarf'....not coloring up this year as in years past. Didnt like staying wet all the time this past winter.

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

alley cat,

Picea pungens 'Slenderiana' and 'The Blues' are one in the same.

The story goes that Larry Stanley found 'The Blues' on a side sport of 'Glauca Pendula'. He gave some of the cuttings or possible small grafts to certain other growers without naming it yet. Thus counter fit name 'Slenderiana' made it to the nursery's grafted and grown by other growers.

I have both and they are identical. The 'Slenderiana' commands a much higher price then the 'Blues' because some think it is special cultivar and it is not. It doesn't have a registered trade mark. At least there is no evidence of it.

Dave,

• fairfield8619
    9 years ago

Samurai is apparently not different than 'Glauca' but that is what I bought it as so I will not change the name. Even the "experts" can't decide half of the time, as we have seen that here. I know I'm supposed to cut it back but I just can't do it, hopefully it will sprout another leader with time. It has been very vigorous already, grew two feet in the first year. In the Cox and Ruter book it says it grew 35ft in ten years. I have a Taiwania also growing as a branch, I hope it sorts itself out too.

This post was edited by fairfield8619 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 10:46

• clement_2006
    9 years ago

Picea pungens " Edith"

Picea pungens "Edith"

Picea pungens "Edith"

Clement

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Yeah Dave, Ive known of the story for quit awhile...but i purchased them under those names so i just posted that way. I cant say i can tell them apart. Just having fun.......Pp 'The Blues'.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Heres a little gem i picked up and havnt planted out yet. Cant wait to see Daves this spring.....Pp ' Nimetz'

• clement_2006
    9 years ago

Picea pungens "Niemetz" ( + E)
    Clement

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Thanks Clement, I usually know better.

Al

• nearpass
    9 years ago

This was sold to me as 'The Blues' last spring. It was very blue, but we had a rainy summer, so it's not so blue anymore. However, the 'Blues" pictures I see show a much more droopy tree than this one is. It was tagged 'the Blues' and came from a very large, pretty reputable garden center near here. It's about 4 feet tall. Is it in fact something else, or is there such variability in the one?

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Thanks, Clement.

Dax

• severnside
    9 years ago

Thats a stunning 'Niemetz' Alleycat, and seems to have deveoped a cone habit already. I've seen spreaders too so I'm not sure as to the actual form.

• sluice
    9 years ago

Nice pics of Edith!

Picea pungens 'Nagykoros'

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Picea pungens 'MPH Mamut Torony'

Picea pungens 'Violet Beauregard' seedling selection of my own. ortet.

Picea pungens 'Violette Beauregarde'

Dax

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

Not the bluest,but I....Like it !
    Picea pungena 'glauca procumbens'

• illinois_john
    9 years ago

"Sester's Dwarf"

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Pp 'Kosteri'.....very blue....photography lacking...lol

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

I'll add names a bit later just wanted to get em on here inbetween waterings of my new new landscape.

{{gwi:733784}}

{{gwi:733786}}

{{gwi:733788}}

{{gwi:733790}}

{{gwi:733791}}

{{gwi:733793}}

{{gwi:733795}}

{{gwi:733797}}

{{gwi:733799}}

{{gwi:733801}}

{{gwi:733803}}

{{gwi:733804}}

{{gwi:733806}}

{{gwi:733808}}

{{gwi:733810}}

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace'

• Cher
    9 years ago

Picea pungens Glauca Globosa on standard

Picea pungens Glauca Procumbens being trained up maybe 4 feet then I will allow it to weep.
    Cher

• gardens1
    9 years ago

whaas, you sure have some beauties, as does everyone who has contributed! Some of these are on my 'list'. I can't wait to see your names added to your photos so I can associate a name with each face!

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Cedrus atlantica 'Sapphire Nymph'

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Thanks, and likewise to the other posters.

'Sapphire Nymph' is one I wish I could grow.

The bluest of the larch is as good as it gets.

A couple more...

Picea pungens 'Stilton Cheese'
    {{gwi:733815}}

Picea pungens 'Spring Blast'
    {{gwi:329485}}

• basic
    9 years ago

Abies lasiocarpa 'Glauca Compacta'