Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Island hopping #5.

dcsteg
11 years ago

This island was constructed and planted in 2005.

It has for the most part stayed as it was first planted. There have been only several additions and subtractions.

This will complete my series on island plantings.

The next series will cover front, side, rear boundary. This will also include foundation plantings.

Dave

{{gwi:733852}}

Pinus mugo 'Zundert' in winter color.

{{gwi:733855}}

{{gwi:733857}}

{{gwi:733859}}

Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph in winter color.

{{gwi:676736}}

{{gwi:733862}}

{{gwi:733863}}

Island #5. Conifers and companions.

Picea abies 'Little Gem'

Ginkgo biloba 'Witch's Broom'

Cedrus libani 'Green Prince'

Platycladus orientalis 'Morgan'

Pinus strobus 'Horsford'

Pinus mugo 'Zundert'

Picea pungens 'St. Mary's Broom'

Picea abies 'Karlotejn' on standard.

Microbiota decussata on standard.

Picea abies 'Farnsburg'

Acer palmatum 'Kiyo-hime'

Thuja occidentalis 'Bobazam'

Picea mariana 'Echiniformis' Most sold as glauca in the states as this one was. I believe it to be mariana.

Picea pungens 'Glauca Slenderiana'. Purchased with this cultivar name. True cultivar name 'The Blues.

Picea pungens 'Theum' Beautiful blue color.

Pinus mugo 'Sherwood Compact'

Lonicera nittada 'Brilon' Noted primarily for its foliage, this low-growing ground cover has a golden yellow glow. Creamy white flowers appear in spring.

Picea abies 'Dan's Dwarf'

Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph'

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Golden Sprite'

Picea abies 'Compressina'

Picea orientalis 'Gracilis'

Pinus mugo 'Tatry'

Pinus nigra 'Hornibrookiana'

Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

Ginkgo biloba 'Jade Butterfly'

Juniperus horizontalis 'Mother lode'

Pinus mugo 'Tyrolean'

Pinus parviflora 'Glauca'

Cotoneaster dammeri 'Streibs Findling'

llex x. 'Mondo' Little Raschal

Comments (12)

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Probably my fav of the bunch. That 'Jade Butterflies' makes be green with envy. Truly a premier specimen.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Nice setting of older specimens!

Some name corrections:
    Picea pungens 'Theum'
    Must be written as 'Thuem'

Picea abies 'Compressina'
    Must be written as 'Cupressina'

"Picea mariana 'Echiniformis' Most sold as glauca in the states as this one was. I believe it to be mariana."
    This is true, it's a Picea mariana clone.
    Picea mariana 'Echiniformis' is also the name I used for this conifer.

• Cher
    11 years ago

Beautiful island bed Dave. You know I love to look at this one because it's such a wonderful mix and everything looks so good together, but it also has one of my very favorites that I fell in love with and have never seen another on standard on here other than yours. I just love the Microbiota decussata on standard and think it is so fantastic looking.
    Cher

• aklinda
    11 years ago

I have really enjoyed all of your photos. Your garden beds are very beautiful. You have a good eye.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Dave,

I love the narrow form of your Pinus parviflora 'Glauca'. Do you perform an annual candle pruning to acheive that effect?

Also, what's the Serbian spruce we see in the background in the first picture?

Alex

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alex,

Yes I do candle prune the Pinus p. 'Glauca' every year.

The Picea omorika in the first photo in the back ground is "Gotelli Weeping'.

In my next series of front, side, rear boundary and foundation plantings there will be a better photo.

Dave

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Dave, What you do in the space provided is amazing and your selections are unreal. What a showpiece!!!

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

alley cat

It's an art form that you improve on over the years.

Most conifers can be maintained to look and grow in a certain way for a time. When their time is up then you replace or move them to a different setting. Many have set up shop in a new area of my garden. I like to refer to this as (Green recycling).

Long term planning for the future and care in the now
    keeps potential problems at a minimum and your garden responds giving you the best look possible.

Dave

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Dave, I just noticed you have a nicely shaped Peve. Did you let that one go or have you cut that one back?

I just have a baby now but plan to cut it back (as recommended by others) starting next year to get a more full symetrical look.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

whass...It was weird from the beginning. I have done nothing to it.

We will just see where it's headed as long as it keeps its narrow vertical growth habit.

Dave

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Dave,
    Your gardens are so gorgeous and you garden in a style that I really would love to replicate (somewhat) in my own yard. I wish you lived closer so I could pick your brain regarding conifer placement in my gardens. LOL Love your photos.

• botann
    11 years ago

Wonderful job, Dave.

I like you design and philosophy.
    The 'Green recycling' works for me too. The hard part is determining when a plant's time is up so it has to be moved or cut down when all avenues of pruning have been explored.

Lately I've had to make some difficult decisions myself.
    Mike

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21