Picea pungens (Dax's Provisional)

Dax

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Photos

Wow what a gallery of supreme unfamiliar specimens Dax. Love them all!

o

Super! Looks like that (Dax Provisional) must have been a big ball of buds before they opened.

tj

o

Yep...all good.

Picea pungens (Dax's Provisional)... superb.

Abies nordmanniana 'Lime Lights'...great look, nice spreader.

Picea abies 'Aurea Jakobsen' Love to have that one.

Thanks for the photos Dax.

I picked up a nice Picea orientalis 'Gracilis' today. A really nice specimen. When I plant it tomorrow I will post a photo.

Dave

o

How exciting it must be to watch your cuttings (scions?) grow and turn into little trees and then bigger trees and specimens. I have so very much to learn but I can appreciate your talent and variety. I can't wait to see these in person!

o

Thank ya Severn, thank ya.

(Dax's Provisional) is very colorful and very interesting. The branches head upward at more than a 45-degree, probably more like a 60-degree and yep - loaded with buds. This came as a seedling. Right on Tommy!

Dave scoring again. Thanks for the compliments man & glad you got yourself a dense orientalis. I've orientalis seedlings all over the place. They're striking and all cone with such color. I've had that Picea abies 'Aurea Jakobsen' for many years . . . . . probably picked it up around 2003. And actually Abies nordmanniana 'Lime Lights' is a tree, just as the species. Another seedling score.

Windhaven, you'll be on your way to propagating any hardwood you have questions about and we'll have a nice stroll and I'll be glad to rap with you!! :)

Thank you all.

Dax

o

Like the dense form and nice color of your (Dax's Provisional) Dax.
You've got a great eye for unique seedlings.

Dan

o

Great color on the Lime Lights! Thanks for the tour.

o

Fantastic! Like them all, but that Dax's Provisional, Aurea Jakobsen, Wendy and the Thuja all made me scroll through again.
Cher

o

Your garden is looking great Dan!

Sluice, let me know when you're ready for a scion!

Cher, I do the same. :)

Dax

o

Great stuff man! Love them all.
Jeff

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 12 at 23:06

Plants are putting on some nice growth since the last go around! Amazing how they shape up into nice specimens in just a short few years.

o

Exactly. A conifer that grows 2" a year will be a nice-sized 6"x6" specimen in 5-years. Nottin' wrong with that.

Dax

o

Wow Dax, some pretty sweet new cultivars to my eyes. Did Picea abies 'Aurea Jakobsen' get pruned at all? Yours is so compact compared to my unruly beasts. Mine I'd say, grows 6-10 inches a year on some of the terminals.

o

Great plants, Dax, love them all.

Can you tell us anything about 'Domingo' and 'Green Goose'? I'm wondering what they will look like as they get older (growth rate, form, etc.) - they look like choice selections and I'm completely unfamiliar with them.

Alex

o

Wild Willy,

That 'Aurea Jakobsen' lived in a pot for many-many years. Prior, I nearly killed it planting it in full sun w/o shade cloth. Then it took a long time and a lifetime in a pot to return.

Alex,

I collected those from Rich's Foxwillow Pines. 'Domingo' was labeled if I remember correctly: Pinus ayacahuite. Edwin saw that Darren Heimbecker at Whistling Gardens in Canada concluded it to be strobiformis, which I agree, so you won't see it as strobiformis, in the trade.

Here is the specimen I collected wood from:

Pinus strobiformis 'Domingo'

And here is Picea pungens 'Green Goose' at RFP:

Best Regards.

Dax

o

Nice, they look like winners.

Thanks for the info and photos.

Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here