{{gwi:608534}}

Thuja occidentalis 'Bodmeri'

Picea pungens (Dax's Provisional)

Picea pungens (Dax's Provisional)

Dax

Comments (16)

• severnside
    11 years ago

Wow what a gallery of supreme unfamiliar specimens Dax. Love them all!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Super! Looks like that (Dax Provisional) must have been a big ball of buds before they opened.

tj

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Yep...all good.

Picea pungens (Dax's Provisional)... superb.

Abies nordmanniana 'Lime Lights'...great look, nice spreader.

Picea abies 'Aurea Jakobsen' Love to have that one.

Thanks for the photos Dax.

I picked up a nice Picea orientalis 'Gracilis' today. A really nice specimen. When I plant it tomorrow I will post a photo.

Dave

• Windhaven
    11 years ago

How exciting it must be to watch your cuttings (scions?) grow and turn into little trees and then bigger trees and specimens. I have so very much to learn but I can appreciate your talent and variety. I can't wait to see these in person!

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank ya Severn, thank ya.

(Dax's Provisional) is very colorful and very interesting. The branches head upward at more than a 45-degree, probably more like a 60-degree and yep - loaded with buds. This came as a seedling. Right on Tommy!

Dave scoring again. Thanks for the compliments man & glad you got yourself a dense orientalis. I've orientalis seedlings all over the place. They're striking and all cone with such color. I've had that Picea abies 'Aurea Jakobsen' for many years . . . . . probably picked it up around 2003. And actually Abies nordmanniana 'Lime Lights' is a tree, just as the species. Another seedling score.

Windhaven, you'll be on your way to propagating any hardwood you have questions about and we'll have a nice stroll and I'll be glad to rap with you!! :)

Thank you all.

Dax

• dansgrdn
    11 years ago

Like the dense form and nice color of your (Dax's Provisional) Dax.
    You've got a great eye for unique seedlings.

Dan

• sluice
    11 years ago

Great color on the Lime Lights! Thanks for the tour.

• Cher
    11 years ago

Fantastic! Like them all, but that Dax's Provisional, Aurea Jakobsen, Wendy and the Thuja all made me scroll through again.
    Cher

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your garden is looking great Dan!

Sluice, let me know when you're ready for a scion!

Cher, I do the same. :)

Dax

• taxo_man
    11 years ago

Great stuff man! Love them all.
    Jeff

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Plants are putting on some nice growth since the last go around! Amazing how they shape up into nice specimens in just a short few years.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Exactly. A conifer that grows 2" a year will be a nice-sized 6"x6" specimen in 5-years. Nottin' wrong with that.

Dax

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Wow Dax, some pretty sweet new cultivars to my eyes. Did Picea abies 'Aurea Jakobsen' get pruned at all? Yours is so compact compared to my unruly beasts. Mine I'd say, grows 6-10 inches a year on some of the terminals.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Great plants, Dax, love them all.

Can you tell us anything about 'Domingo' and 'Green Goose'? I'm wondering what they will look like as they get older (growth rate, form, etc.) - they look like choice selections and I'm completely unfamiliar with them.

Alex

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wild Willy,

That 'Aurea Jakobsen' lived in a pot for many-many years. Prior, I nearly killed it planting it in full sun w/o shade cloth. Then it took a long time and a lifetime in a pot to return.

Alex,

I collected those from Rich's Foxwillow Pines. 'Domingo' was labeled if I remember correctly: Pinus ayacahuite. Edwin saw that Darren Heimbecker at Whistling Gardens in Canada concluded it to be strobiformis, which I agree, so you won't see it as strobiformis, in the trade.

Here is the specimen I collected wood from:

Pinus strobiformis 'Domingo'
    {{gwi:655506}}

And here is Picea pungens 'Green Goose' at RFP:
    {{gwi:601418}}

Best Regards.

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice, they look like winners.

Thanks for the info and photos.

Alex