Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taxo_man

Dawn Redwood foliage color

taxo_man
10 years ago

Hello,
I have a Dawn Redwood that has a purpleish/army green coloration in areas. It is a little hard to tell from this picture but the foliage has a few tones in it. I have other dawn redwoods that have the typical color of green with lime green new growth.. But this one seems to have a purpleish color in the mix.. Could this be a mutation, or is this normal.. Anyone elses dawn redwood look like this?
Thanks! :)
Jeff

Comments (14)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Taxo, does the one on the left look like a tame "Ogon" to you?

The one on the right is pretty neat. When is grafting time for these? Wonder if air layering works.

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Hey, Jeff. That tree is awesome!
    Some variegated cultivars like 'Jack Frost' or 'White Spot' have a similar coloration.. but that purple really makes the lighter-colored tips stand out!

Grafting season would be January..

Thanks for sharing! Definitely keep an eye on it.

-Sam

• ogcon
    10 years ago

You've perked my curiosity.....never seen this on deciduous conifers...will be interested to hear from the
    more expert folk. The foliage and budding looks healthy
    per your pics.I'm staying tuned.D.

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    I will definitely keep my eye on this one.
    Just to be clear, the pictures above are of the same tree. The right photo is just a zoomed in version.
    Also, some other info I forgot to mention. I grew this tree from seed. The seeds came from a large dawn redwood growing near my house. The mother tree is the straight species.
    Thanks!! :)

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Jeff, allow me to be the first to formally request a few scions this winter.
    Thanks!
    samgpratt@gmail.com

If you grew this from seed, that makes it your own introduction, and it means that you can name it if you wish!
    How old is the tree?

-Sam

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds good! I would be happy to send you some scions. :)
    The tree is 3 years old. I have noticed this coloration after it was a few inches tall..
    The name (Metasequoia glyptostroboides "Hulk") popped in my mine first for possible names (hulk has purple pants).. hahaha but i will keep thinking about it.
    The grow rate is seems to be the same as my other ones..
    Thanks!
    J

• gardener365
    10 years ago

I've seen this purple many times as I've grown a couple 200-300 DR seedlings. Yours is quite purple though. It's worth propagating and watching. My guess is that the purple will eventually leave the tree.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the first thing that comes to mind.. is cold damage ... sometimes making such color ... not bad enough to damage.. but to weird out the color ... and yes.. it could hit one plant ....

otherwise.. cool if its something new ...

i will go look at mine.. see if the color is out there.. i had some frosts.. and a freeze ....

its the absolute worst ogon i ever saw ... lol .. NOT!!!! ... on that ... but it makes one wonder.. why it is also flushing out so chlorotic ... sp????

ken

• abciximab
    10 years ago

I second Daxs' comments. I've seen purple and tan
    coloration on many seedlings. I thought it was normal.

Patrick

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Are you saying its been purple in previous years and does
    this color stay through until it drops?
    I'm a bit surprised some think its not uncommon.Its a new one on me.Reminds me of colors on japanese painted ferns.It certainly should be a 'Hulk' in a few years.'Purple
    Haze' comes to mind also.Good Luck!Doug

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

My species plant has the same coloration. It greens up over the summer though.

Edit: However not as dramatic!

This post was edited by whaas on Thu, May 23, 13 at 15:08

• dietzjm
    10 years ago

I love the color, and 'Hulk' is a great name. I too am wondering if it lasts through the heat of the summer? Regardless, I would love to grow that in my garden!

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the input everyone! I appreciate it. As Dax, Patrick and Whaas mentioned, they have witnessed these colors on their trees, so it must be fairly normal.
    I will certainly continue to watch my tree to see if the color is retained and to what degree. I can't remember if the color faded last year.. I will take new pictures as the months progress.
    I also have a blueish larch I am keeping my eye on. I grew about 20 larches from seed, and one has a definitely blue hue to it.. But there again it may grow out as it ages..
    :)
    Jeff

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Here is an ~9 year old species plant going on its 3rd year in my lot.

Not as dramatic but similar. Pic is from today.

{{gwi:734024}}

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler