Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoopsi or Bizon Blue

Posted by gfish49366 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 20:35

Going to plant the pine trees in the back yard. Trying to decide between Hoopsi or Bizon Blue. Appreciate any feedback or recommendations.

Also like the White Firs too, but they are totally different. We live close to Lake Erie, so have sandy, well drained soil. Seems like everything for our zone grows well here. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoopsi or Bizon Blue

Those are both beautiful choices. I personally thing the color on the hoopsi is more special. But the density of branches and overall shape of the bizon is so picture perfect.

You can't go wrong with either, but I got the Hoopsi because it just blew me away with its color and incredibly full needles.

How much room do you have?

o

Hi, Not familiar with the Bizon Blue.. but I do have a Picea Pungens 'Hoopsii' and love it. It is a spruce though, not a pine.

o

Thanks for the help. Have quite a bit of room, probably could plant more than three.

o

as a collector.. i am so confused about planting more than one of anything... lol

that said.. i have 2 hoopsi .. and the A concolor version of that blue is candicans ...

and thomsen is a look alike to hoopsi ...

and then there are the rather greenish picea pungens.. that bud out in spring in various shades of yellow ... i will be posting pix of those in a week or two ...

ken

o

I would consider getting one of each, if your space and budget allows. The color of Bizon looked almost identical to the Bakeri ... side by side, about the same color ... but the Bizon was like perfect pyramidal shaped, incredibly dense with branches ... more like a perfect version of an ordinary blue full-sized blue-spruce. Or do some thing really dark green in the middle, then the Bizon on one side, then a Hoopsi on the other ...

o

What would recommend for a dark green one for the middle? I guess a white fir probably would not work. Not dark enough - green - right? Thanks for your idea - sounds good.

o

I'm sure the experts here will have more ideas, but the Norway Spruce varieties might be good. I also like Black Hills Spruce, but they grow slower (I think). You could also go with a Golden variety of something which turns golden yellow in the winter.

o

if they select the bluest each time ..

is using the same cultivar name proper???

ken

o

As was said above the Hoopsii is a more electric intense blue than Bizon Blue which has usually ben more of a steel blue color.

If heat is a factor, I found that Hoopsii takes heat a little better than Bizon Blue.

As an esthetic comment, it's much easier to find and grow a lot straighter trunk with a Bizon Blue than Hoopsii.

mark.

o

A great tree to place between the Hoopsii and Bizon Blue would be a Picea abies Hillside Upright. They are very dark green and have interesting growth in that it can grow off a branch straight up for several feet before branching again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here