Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kay21_utahzone5

Blue Weeping Alaska Cedar with yellowing foliage

kay21_utahzone5b
9 years ago

I think what I have is Blue Weeping Alaska Cedar/Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Pendula' (well, I notice it has about 4 different Latin names). We put them in 5-6 years ago. I was a total newbie and had no idea they would get so big or that we shouldn't plant so close to a foundation; another lesson learned!

The trees need to move; before I place an ad to see if someone wants to come rescue them I would like to see what's going on with this yellowing.

All along, one has struggled with some yellow foliage close to the trunk... I can only think to call that the underarm hair area - lol. This spring the amount of yellowing increased and those areas are dead or dying now.

Our soil is alkaline (average ph here is around 8) and heavy clay so drainage is poor. We've added quite a bit of organic matter to our gardens, especially the last couple years. The other tree doesn't have this problem but it has a little slope to the side; does that help with drainage? The only other info I can think of is that Winter and Spring were extra dry this year... we were still blessed with our midwinter inversions of sub-zero weather though.

Could it simply be poor drainage? If so, why is it worse now? Is it ph? Would adding elemental sulpher help and what is the best way to apply sulpher? Fertilizer? New compost?
Any advice would help me all around the yard. Whatever it is, could that be the same reason my Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendula' gets a little yellow, too?

Kay

Comments (5)

• kay21_utahzone5b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture with both trees. I can't figure out how to post more than one at a time.
    Don't mind that half dead dianthus in the planter. I had to hurry and move it while we were fixing another newbie mistake.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

That's interior needle shed that happens with all conifers. That's normal.

Best to move them while a person still could. A much better planting choice and replacement is Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire'. (2) of those could live there for their lifetime.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

they are forest trees.. not meant to be grown in a cement jungle ... which retains .. and increases heat all night long.. as well as doing so in the dead of winter.. and the plant may have gone in and out of dormancy ... causing needle damage ... which may not have been an issue when they were smaller ...

i like to tell peeps.. to get something that will make their toes curl.. and get rid of them when they get over it ...

i would NOT waste my time.. trying to move them ...for 2 main reasons ...

first.. i dont work that hard for low odds of success ..

second.. you cant dig a proper root ball ... unless you are willing to tear up the driveway and walkway.. to make the requisite 3 foot rootball ....

if you try to move them.. i would give 10% odds of survival .. IF DONE IN THE PROPER SEASON... which starts in fall ...

but w/o a doubt.. their are young and stupid peeps.. who would give it a go.. based on the word free .. farmboy??? ... lol ... best part of that deal.. would you would then have a predug hole for the next mistake ... trust me.. we have all been there.. done that ...

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

Those will not transplant. They do not do well even when dug by a nursery in root ball form. Been there and done that. Only potted versions will survive.

You will not be able to dig enough root mass to provide for top growth.

Yes they do drop inner growth. More so some years then others.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Sat, May 31, 14 at 13:34

• kay21_utahzone5b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was working in the yard all day yesterday and didnâÂÂt get a chance to check back. Thank you for the responses; and Ken, thanks for giving my whole family a hearty laugh! They've been fans ever since I read them your response to farmboyâÂÂs Rose of Sharon transplants.

In fact, itâÂÂs because of farmboy that I realized people may come dig these guys out for free. I donâÂÂt have the heart to kill my plants on purpose (other than weeds or grass) but IâÂÂm not above letting someone else kill them for me.

If I place the ad IâÂÂll disclose that the success rate is not good and plan for any takers to wait until fall.
    Do those roots spread out or grow deep? IâÂÂm thinking there may be a better chance for the one on the little slopeâ¦.

Can I assume the other tree drops less inner growth because it has cement around just a third of it?

I'd love a Degroot's Spire somewhere but I donâÂÂt know what I want to replace these trees with. I donâÂÂt think itâÂÂll be with columnar conifers since they will eventually end up getting too tall.

Thanks!
    Kay