Houzz Logo Print
plantkiller_il_5

Replanting next to stump

plantkiller_il_5
9 years ago

I cut down a 32ft species Norway this spring. Am replacing
it with picea abies argenteospica. To avoid cost and/or
back ache, I chopped out big roots ,and planted right next
to stump(24") deep black soil ,lots of mitocortizi(what ever)
Any one see any problems?
new guy,,,Ron

Comments (19)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you amended the planting hole???

see link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No need to, the soil was perfect. I'm hoping new plant
    will cover stump in time. It looks a little silly right now..
    12ft. circle with 1ft. plant in the middle.
    Ron

• plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

so,I planted it last year,but received after new growth

this is first spring in my yard,,,looks every bit as sharp as I was hoping

man , I can't wait till it's 4,,,6,,,12 ft. tall !

ron

can't believe what C K wants for it this year

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Killer, if anything, it may have been just a bit better not to plant a Norway spruce right next to a former Norway spruce, although nothing my come of it. The word you were attempting is mycorrhizae-fungal associates of many tree roots which actually do most of the work of the root system in terms of obtaining certain nutrients from the soil, especially phosphorus. You would, however, not really have any way of knowing if that's what you were seeing. fungal mycelia are common in soils and it would take a highly-trained expert to declare that this or that was a mycorrhizal species. In any case, this should work OK.

+om

8 years ago

it may have been just a bit better not to plant a Norway spruce right next to a former Norway spruce,

==>> why tom ... as compared to any other stump???

rotting wood ... needs two things ... which your new plant needs even worse ... water and nitro ...

so... be very attentive to proper watering ... maybe for a year or two more than usual ...

and also ... if it starts to yellow.. OVER THE YEARS ... give it some fert ... but not pure nitro ...

i would not fert in advance ... as i am loathe to feed my children ... trees just do NOT need such ...

but if it does go off color.. i might throw a small bit of any cubed fert around such ... 12-12-12.. or 10 cubed.. or 16 cubed.. etc ...

and keep in mind.. we have all seen seedlings popping out of rotting trunks ... so whats the big deal ... observe.. but dont over react ... of course.. those are usually.. well rotted trunks ... perhaps.. a vertical mulch pile ...

and disregard... or should i say .. enjoy that shroom show.. for the next decade or so ... when that stops.. you will know the stump and roots are rather done decaying ...

ken

• plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ken , Thanks for answering my question more thoroughly ,,,,,only took a year

no,really thanks,,,,,,never thought about nitrogen use in decomposition

+om , there wasn't a thing wrong with tree I cut down except realizing I planted species Norway 10 ft. from power lines,,,,tried for 2 yrs. to give away as xmas tree

just assumed lots of mycorrhizae residing ,,that thing was growing like a rocket,,,although,,,when I was digging around roots , there was all this fuzzy rust colored stuff growing up close to stump,down in soil,,,,wondered what I was seeing

ron

old tree,,,,,poor thing,I killed it

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Like I said, could have been a mycorrhizal species, but unless one is expert in that sort of thing, probably safer to state simply that there was a lot of fungal mycellium present. why pretend to know that which we don't? But yes, a concern for possible pathogen transmission would be the only reason not to replace like with like-more or less. Not a big deal, which is why I didn't jump down hard on the concept. See the words "may have been", etc.....? those isn't fighting words, just gentle nudges. Do as you wish!

Me, I've planted just under 5000 Norway spruce, and counting.

+oM

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    8 years ago

Ron, I know you didnt like cutting that one down....It was a beauty!

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Pretty amazing, I think, how good just a run of the mill NS can look, no?

+_oM

• plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

they are nice,but must be sited correct,,,house up street has one, front yard,,,

huge,,,got to be 30 ft wide,,,40,50 yrs old,,,dwarfs house ,yard,,kinda silly

ron,,,should get pic

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't see any problem planting next to a stump. I do it all the time and have for years. I live in a land of stumps.
    I like to plant Sedums on stumps. It beats the cost of grinding or the labor to dig them up. Sometimes I cut them as low as possible and then cover them with topsoil. That works just fine as long as I don't plant a lawn over it.
    Mike...near Seattle
    Sedums on a Alnus oregona stump.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/Botann/014-2.jpg

• plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

UPDATE

too bad we can't rename posts

picea abies argenteospica

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    4 years ago
    Woah ! Cool thread!
    4 years ago

that first pic.. with the sun shining thru from heaven is awesome... lol ...

hindsight is 20/20.... but thank God you sucked it up.. and got rid of the the plain old green tree ....

how long does it hold the yellow???

ken

• plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ken - will find out how long ,, this started last week ,,I didn't put down any 10-10-10 this year

that isn't hind sight , it's God's plan

ron

• plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

assuming a fungus was present

the previuos tree died of chain saw infection

• plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

June , 1

so about a month,,,,color flushes out

ron

• User
    4 years ago

Around here, when large parcels of land are harvested for timber, there are residual, 24" diameter stumps, 6-12 ft. apart, polka-dotting the area. Then the tree planters come and stick seedlings in rows 6 ft to 8 ft apart.

in 20-30 years trees are again harvested from this land which becomes a thick forest during that time.

Makes me wonder if Armillaria is more prevalent in some parts of the country than in others.