Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

Larix marschlinsii-one tough customer

wisconsitom
9 years ago

So we goes through this severe winter. You might have heard about it. I had serious concerns about my many thousands of hybrid larch up at my tree farm. Afterall, Wisconsin is one of the very coldest places in the US, and Japan, even far northern Japan, is not nearly so cold. So given the fact that, for example, Japanese yews are looking toasted all over the place around here, and the additional fact that a number of borderline-hardy species seem to have met the test this past winter-and failed-I had serious concerns.

Then, throw in a very slow spring, with temps only just now really warming up. The result of that was that larch, normally one of the very earliest to green out, was still looking completely dormant up there only a couple weeks ago. Now I wish I had pictures to show. To say I'm relieved would be an understatement. They've not only finally greened out, but if anything, I think they look better than ever. Big, blue-green new growth is thick on the trees. Really looking great.

I'm still wondering about some of my N. spruce though. That is not a tree I'd normally be worried about at all, so far as winter hardiness is concerned. But some of the buds look "blasted" to me. These too are finally starting to flush, but unevenly so. I think I need a week or two of this warmth before I can declare all those to be viable. Meanwhile, the two main pines I've got there-red and white-seem totally unaffected by anything. And the straight species Thuja o. in the woods are likewise completely unscathed. Actually, having had that cold, cold winter is providing for some pretty interesting outcomes in terms of plant hardiness.

+oM

Comments (6)

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Tom, I'm very glad to hear about your larch. Congratulations!! It can be quite a waiting game this year, to see how things come out. This spring, I read quite a bit on the conifer forum and enjoyed following some of your comments/posts, especially, as I am in NE Wisconsin (Menasha).
    May I ask how you use your trees...are you planting for re-foresting, retail, both?
    BTW, my mature Norways are starting to candle in the last few days, they look pretty normal as far as I can tell. These past few days, plus this next week should provide the warmth you're requiring...

Is "blasted" a scientific conifer term that I should learn? I don't quite know what that might mean...

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Japanese larch here (getting close to 30' tall) is about as lush green as a tree can get. My hybrid larch has been suffering from some ailment for yrs, but greened up as well as it typically does.

As cold as this past winter/spring has been, I escaped the usual May frost! Go figure. The cold seems to have reduced the usual leaf-eater population & foliage on all my trees is in uncommonly good shape. Even Amer sycamore is free from anthracnose.

• wisconsitom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice on those sycamores! A rare event it is to not have all the big blighters dropping off right after forming. Mary, I use 'blasted' in this context to refer to buds/growing tips-of any plant-which appear to have been dessicated and damaged by cold and dry wind. It is a serious degree of damage, such that viability seems unlikely. I'd honestly have to look it up now to see if it is a real term!

+oM

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Thank you Tom, I see what you mean with "blasted" now.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Speaking of Amer. sycamores...

The American sycamores right here in the Baltimore Washington area have a typical to high degree of anthracnose. Probably due to the flooding rains in late April that lasted three days.

However, on our drive to Ohio this past weekend, it appears that the sycamores from around Hagerstown all the way to Akron, OH have little to no visible anthracnose.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Yeah, a single cold, wet event over a few days can get the fungus growing. It's certainly here in west MD -- just didn't get the right conditions to get established.

The spring/early summer of 2003 was extremely & persistently wet. I was hiking on Tuscarora Mnt in south PA and every plant (tree, weed, shrub) had severe anthracnose -- even evergreen mountain laurel. Never seen anything like it before or since.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor