Pinus virginiana Marietta Quarry

Abies koreana Blinsham Gold

Tsuga canadensis New Hampshire Prostrate

Pinus parvilfora Blue Wave

Juniperus chinensis Kaizuka "Hollywood Juniper"

Picea glauca Burning Well

Picea orientalis Tom Thumb

Terrible photo - choice plant: Fagus sylvatica Aurea Pendula

Evening light fading and swarms of gnats = shaky camera + blurry photos.

Minus two, these are all in temporary beds being spaced about a foot or two foot -- apart.

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Picea abies Wichtel is COOL!!!! keep track of any duplicates...

blue wave looks chlorotic.. as some of my small ones do.. what if anything would you do about it??

thx for the effort

ken

• gardener365
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Ken, I think a prop of Witchel can be made for you this winter. I am grafting about 1000 conifers here or there, just waiting to hear from the guy I want to buy the seedlings from ...

Any plants that are chloratic which have this tendency on my 7.0 ph do eventually turn blue or said color. That conifer (thanks for the gift) was blue until I planted it in the temp bed. That bed is at the bottom of a slope and is continuously moist so that may also be a part of the prob.

If I became extremely desperate, I'd buy a 50 lb bag of pelleted Sulphur and at the lowest setting on my hand crank whirleybird spreader I could open it at, I'd give that area a treatment. 50#'s or less that is. I've only inquired about the big bags.

Later my friend.

Dax

• sluice
    13 years ago

Dax, that's a great selection, thanks.

A local conifer enthusiast here said they were seeing improved resistance to chlorosis when grafting onto strobiformis, instead of strobus, particularly for calcareous soils.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Interesting Nate, I almost ordered strobiformis yesterday for I know it would be fine across the upper US, as an understock, and because my friends in the southern US could have better roots for, their climates. Then I got to thinking and said to myself, hell they all grow plants on strobus.

I indeed thank you for the advice, Nate.

[If I could get the understocks:
    Pinus armandii (hardy seed source) would be my first go-to option... I don't know about chaulk tolerance with this species, however. In Europe, it is the #1 preferred undertock, choice. Pinus wallichiana, being second]

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dax, you showed us a nice selection of conifers again.

Can you give some discriptions and how these were found of the folowing one's:
    -Pinus rigida 'Winter Time'
    -Pinus virginiana 'Marrieta Quirry'

Picea orientalis 'Gold Start'
    must be writen as:
    Picea orientalis 'Golden Start'

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Huovdany'
    must be written as
    Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Hvozdany'

• gardener365
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Edwin, I've got those names, fixed in all files and folders.

Pinus rigida Winter Time is found on GW from member conifer50 growing in the wild in Georgia. It must be
    grafted to ponderosa or rigida. Many propagations onto
    sylvestris all died. This goes for all rigida cultivars.
    Or, grafting must be made onto pines of 2's and 3's needles per fasicle. Here I have a photo of the original plant:

Pinus rigida Winter Time - ortet tree - 2009

Pinus rigida Winter Time gold winter color (it gets better!) photo 2007

Pinus rigida Winter Time just beginning to change color. 2008 photo:

Spellcheck on Pinus virginiana Marietta Quarry. This cultivar I cannot find any information about from my source of this scion. I will let you know when I find more information. Currently though this 1-year graft is growing between 4" and 6". It is quite fast for being 1-year grafed.

Dax

• conifer50
    13 years ago

Here's a more recent pic of Pinus rigida Winter Time...BTW..It's now green once again!

02/10/10

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dax and Conifer50, both thanks for showing us the photo's of this very nice variety!
    The only P. rigida I was familiar with is the 'Ben Wallet W.B.'.

• jinxz5
    13 years ago

To Dax:

Jay found this broom on the way to work and observed it for two years prior to our grafting weekend in '09 with Gary Gee, Bill Barger, et al. It has not been registered and the provisional name is Pinus virginiana(Marietta), as Chub would prefer us to indicate non-registered plants. It is in the Indianapolis area, and we are just trialing it now. We kept two grafts, and this spring they both put on quite a growth spurt, so do not know if it will be of any garden worth,or just a curiosity. E-mail me and I can send a JPEG of the broom if you are interested. Jay and Terri