Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Purchase microbiota "Drew's Blue" or Condrew

Marie Tulin
10 years ago

Love the species but at 7 feet wide and still growing I need something smaller. Any idea where to find Drew's Blue?

My original purchases need a judicious pruning. How should that be done? Where would the cuts be? Honestly, I don't like pruning conifers, but I must have forgotten Dirr said these "spread indefinitely."

For that matter, do you think it would survive transplanting (it is at least 8 years old) I've got a hillside to cover.
Thanks,
Marie

Comments (8)

• wildcatnurseryman
    10 years ago

I have several on different jobs and I trim them from underneath. I grip toward the tips of the branch that you would like gone or shortened and then raise it to see where it divides or branches from a main branch closer to the interior. I make a cut as you would on any other pruning cut and remove medium to large sections at a time. By doing this from the underside of the plant any cuts are hidden by surrounding foliage.
    Transplanting is a different question...I seem to have pretty poor luck transplanting any prostrate evergreen that has gotten some age on it. I find it difficult to- 1.get access to the ground to begin with, and 2.excavate a proper root ball since the roots seem to be long and stringy like the top growth.
    Good luck.

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Transplanting it would be very risky indeed.
    If you do decide to give it a shot, it would be best if you do it in late fall, however.

It would likely be a disaster if attempted now, during spring.

-Sam

• botann
    10 years ago

Here's one I used to crawl under in the early 50s.
    It's been trimmed from underneath.
    Mike

• treeguy_ny USDA z6a WNY
    10 years ago

Wow - beautiful specimen! I had no idea they could eventually grow partially upright like that! I'll have to start training mine with selective pruning!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hi beanie.. how's cecil ....

you said: My original purchases need a judicious pruning. How should that be done?

===>>>> at ground level with malice and aforethought.. [the legal definition of murder] .. plus a little roundup ...

moving a 7 footer.. what.. are you nuts ... kill it.. and go buy a $20 replacement .. crikey woman.. focus .. lol ...

ken

ps: might be rootable.. if you want to try ..... before redrum .....

Here is a link that might be useful: for years i wondered where in the heck i learned this song ... lol.. who knew ....

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, if I kill it I'm not buying a new one unless it is one that can keep its promise to stay 6 feet! That's my focus. My other focus is less work, not more in the garden.
    Botan, That picture is terrifying and beautiful. It must be a West Coast frame of mind thing that helped it get that big. When you say "fifty years ago" do you mean that it 50 years plus years old? And I infer that you were 50 years younger when you crawled under it. Were you an infant whose mother unwisely let you hold a pruning saw or a young nimble guy... which would make that plant at least 70?
    Doesn't it remind you a bit of the Monterey Cypresses?

Thank, all, for the helpful advice.
    Marie
    In 50 years I'll be buried under mine, literally and figuratively.

• botann
    10 years ago

Idabean, I went to my 50th high school reunion last year. I'm an old guy. That picture was taken where I went to grade school in the early 50s.
    It reminds me of a prostrate Lawson cypress more than anything.
    When I took a trip to visit it I was surprised it was still there. The school building isn't. It's a new library there now.
    Mike

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

My other focus is less work, not more in the garden.

===>>> so why did you say you are thinking about moving it??

take care

ken