Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Got the little ones in!

whaas_5a
12 years ago

I'll post pics of the big boys in the next week or so.

Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring'

{{gwi:601381}}

Pinus strobus 'Blue Shag'

{{gwi:736230}}

Abie koreana 'Silberlocke'

{{gwi:736231}}

Pinus densiflora 'Golden Ghost'

{{gwi:736233}}

Pinus koraiensis 'Anna'

{{gwi:736235}}

Picea Glauca 'McConnell's Gold'

{{gwi:599429}}

Picea Glauca 'Fort Ann'

{{gwi:599430}}

Picea glauca 'Daisy White'

{{gwi:599431}}

Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst'

{{gwi:736238}}

Picea engelmannii 'Blue Magoo'

{{gwi:736240}}

Picea pungens 'Globosa' (Is this the same as 'Glauca Globosa'?)

{{gwi:736241}}

Comments (18)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Nice choices, Will. Those stakes could probably be removed and you may want to move that 'Blue Shag' out a bit from the house. Mine got to 3x5 in 8 years.

tj

• johnplace
    12 years ago

Nice! Did these come from songsparrow?

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks tj. I was thinking about removing the stakes as well but adding one to 'Fort Ann'.

I'll double check the 'Blue Shag'. It looks close in the pic but I thought I had it 5' from the corner of the brick there.

• sluice
    12 years ago

Nice! I like the needle color on Pinus densiflora 'Golden Ghost'.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Nice selection of conifers Will!
    Your 'Fort Ann' is in reality a Picea glauca 'Dent', the white variegated one.
    The true 'Fort Ann' is a snake like type...

I'm not sure about your Pinus strobus 'Blue Shag' because it's not that blue as it should be and it's habit is to compact.
    It looks to me like one of the many witches' brooms...

Picea glauca 'Daisy White' must be written as 'Daisy's White'.

Picea pungens 'Globosa' is written in the trade as 'Glauca Globosa'.
    The full true name is Picea pungens f. glauca 'Globosa'

You better also should stake the Picea glauca 'McConnell's Gold' and cut it in the way that it does have only 1 leader.

I hope I helped you with this info.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

john,
    Its quite a mix but I did get 1,8,9 and 10 from Songsparrow.

sluice,
    I agree, that yellow banding is pretty cool. The plant itself is quite thin. Maybe Ken has a larger one he can post a pic of? I'd loved to see a larger speciman.

coniferjoy,
    Awesome, you answered many of my questions without asking!

1) I was wondering about the 'Fort Ann' form. Are you fairly confident it is indeed 'Dent'? I could take more up close pics.

2) I was wondering that as well about 'Blue Shag'. It was a #7 for $30 so I couldn't pass. What does it mean if its a witch's broom?

3) Got it.

4) Is Picea pungens f. glauca 'Globosa' the official way to ref. this plant?

5) Should I wait a year before pruning and try to stake the leader to the left now? I was debating about asking for a replacement but I already had to request 2 replacments on an order of only 5 plants.

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

Yes, you have a Picea glauca "Dent", "Fort Ann" are a strange snake form and not variegated.
    Cl�ment

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, the place I got the 'Fort Ann' from doesn't carry Picea glauca 'Dent'. I really wanted 'Fort Ann' as I want that irregular look for the spot its going.

• mustard_seeds
    12 years ago

Aww, the Silberlocke looks happy there outside of the small pot. Beautiful!

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Wass,

Now that you are in the business of conifer collecting welcome to the real world of mis-marked cultivar names.

I am sure the grower wasn't aware he was selling 'Dent'. By the same token if in business to sell cultivars you should know what you are selling.

Aside from that... congratulations on your new purchases. You will enjoy them for years to come.

Dave

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Will, for sure is that you got a 'Dent' instead of a 'Fort Ann'.
    The 'Dent' is a beauty which you'll enjoy for the rest of your life!

A witches' broom in this case means that it will grow more compact then the 'Blue Shag' will do.

You can prune the Picea glauca 'McConnell's Gold' now.
    Select a good terminal branch and cut the others back a little bit.
    Stake the terminal branch for at least one season and you'll become a nice little tree in a while.
    Good luck!

Please use Picea pungens 'Glauca Globosa' which is the common name for this one.

Enjoy your new plants!

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All, thanks for all the help and comments!

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Wow, excellent start to a no doubt gathering collection. Reminds me of me three years ago. Have fun, walk through and admire them regularly and take lots of photos!

-the other Will

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I actually have most of these in a protected area near the house so I can cage them in this winter. Next year I'm going to plant them in the open once my beds are developed (I'll still cage them but at least it won' be this little tiny plant in no man's land)...I'll get to plant them all over again and post new pics!

mustard,

I ended up taking the one I got from Menards back and getting this one as it looked so much happier...same price, just a little smaller!

I have another one that is a little bigger...the blue is much more pronounced.

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

In respect to Abies koreana 'Silberlocke', you show that you are also in zone 5a, same as I, and I had Abies koreana 'CIS' just become a winter casualty. Are you sure that will survive your winter? I thought to buy one too, my nursery has them.

In respect to Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst' I just planted one, see the picture below, but it will try to become a big but great looking pine, will do some candle pruning. Bernd

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

berndz,

Did you get your 'Taylor's Sunburst' mail order or at a local nursery?

Not too sure about Silberlocke's performance in the area. I've been told it is hardy to -25. Both are in protected areas so I'll give them a shot! 1 year warranty on one and 2 years on the other.

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Whaas, no mail order since they always seem to be small. I got 'Taylor's Sunburst' at my local nursery. I actually had ordered a 5 ft Chamaecyparis 'Confucious' (from Iseli), but that then had 3 leaders, and I did not buy it, would have been too much trouble to cut out 2 leaders. At the same day I saw a row of those 'Taylor's Sunburst' with those yellow candles, and decided to buy one. I will let it grow slowly in that spot. I also had ordered and bought (and planted opposite to 'Taylor's Sunburst') a 7 ft Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'. Actually my brother lives very close to the Bruns nursery, a nice connection there for me.
    Bernd

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very nice speciman...I figured it was from a nursery but thought I ask just in case.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio