Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattman587

Got the conifer bug...

Hello all,

I've been planting out my 8 acres for the past couple years but have mainly avoided conifers with the exception of dawn redwoods, baldcypresses, pond cypresses and a Larch.

I've recently started to inject additional conifers into the project, although I am not interested in the dwarf selections that I find on here yet...

My recent additions include:
Pinus Strobus 'Bennett�s Fastigate' x2
Pinus flexilis 'Vanderwolf Pyramid' x2
Pinus Koraiensis 'Morris Blue'
Pinus Strobus 'Hillside Winter Gold'
Abies Koreana 'Silberlocke'
Picea Orientalis 'Skylands'

I also put in some standard Pinus Strobus, and Picea Pungens, and Thuja Plicata 'Green Giant'.

For anyone interested I will be at the Dawes Plant sale next weekend trying to score some more goodies on my wish list...

Cheers,
Matt

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

have mainly avoided conifers with the exception of dawn redwoods, baldcypresses, pond cypresses and a Larch.

==>>> worst avoidance .. EVER ... lol ..

welcome ... we need some new blood ...

its good you have the space.. for the big ones.. not many do ... just make sure you have the spacing down ... its really hard to conceptualize spacing things 20 to 50 feet apart.. when they are a foot or two tall ...

i presume you have that famous battleship OH clay ... had friends in westerville ... may as well have had a cement backyard ...

and i presume you know all about dannaher landscaping .... i am sure you could spend a trust fund there ...

any chance you can offer some pix?? .. i dont care if they are of conifers or not ...

ken

• Matt W (Zone 5 OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ken,

I will have to get pics some other time, but I can certainly update this thread as I get time and as time progresses.

I have included a layout of the property. Green is already establish items. Pink is new items. The intent was to layout the potential mature size of different species. In some cases I got lazy but I think it shows the current progress.

Cheers,
    Matt

• Matt W (Zone 5 OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry to not respond to all of the questions/comments the first time.

Yeah, it was more I didn't see the diversity in the different conifers that I did in the non-conifers. That has since been changed due in part to this forum, also Dirr, and lastly strolling through Springrove Cemetery, Dawes and Seacrest Arb.

The soil is a clay, slightly acidic but not too bad to work with. I have not had too much compaction problems that some experience. Most of my property was worked farmland a couple decades ago, and other than my tractor mowing it, it has not been too compacted..

I have visited Dannaher twice in the past year. :) Always a fun experience. I bought a Quercus Robur 'Furst Schwarzenburg', Nyssa Sylvictica 'Wildfire', and Aesculus 'O'neill Red'. Now that I am collecting additional conifers, I will be visiting again to fill out the wishlist as much as the wife will allow me.

Cheers,
    Matt

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

oh man.. thats the robur i have been coveting ...

way too many white pine in your mock up ...

they are dying in drove up here near ann arbor ...

i have a hate on.. for silver maple.. but you do have the space for them ... and dont appear to want to grow things under them ... but they are way down the driveway.. and i cant tell whet the surrounding pink circles are .. just cant read it ...

good luck

ken