Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

Celebrate Spring! Let's see some new pics

dansgrdn
17 years ago

I know I do this every Spring, but this Winter was especially brutal, and I love seeing pictures of other peoples gardens. I'll post a few to get it started and a few more in the gallery. Thanks in advance,Dan

{{gwi:639994}}

Comments (14)

• conifers
    17 years ago

You did excellent with the hypertufa. My Maples bounced right back as I see in your 'Aureum' and the others. They look excellent actually.

Thanks a lot for the photos. I'll have to get out, my yard is beautiful right now.

• botann
    17 years ago

{{gwi:736825}}

{{gwi:370578}}

• conifers
    17 years ago

Picea glauca 'Sander's Blue' and Azalea 'Gibraltor'
    {{gwi:736826}}

Azalea 'Rosy Lights'
    {{gwi:736827}}

Dax

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow botann, your garden looks great! Thanks for posting the pictures. Dax, beautiful Sander's, how long have you had that puppy? I have a small 'Arneson's Blue Variegated' which is similar.Cool azaleas too. Dan

• greenlarry
    17 years ago

I love that third pic, the concrete box, very nice! I dont normally like garden conifers but that one is well cool!

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Took a few more pictures today. I know most of my things are planted pretty close together but the garden is in a constant state of flux. I move and tweak stuff each season. I wish I had more room but I don't. I went to a lecture recently at the Chicago Flower and Garden Show and Rich Eyre made a comment that he hates to hear people say that they don't have enough room for this or that. This comment made me feel a little more justified in my crowded, eclectic garden style. Anyway here are some more pics.
    {{gwi:58083}}

{{gwi:736831}}

Dan

P.S. I'll post a few more in the gallery too

• terri_ks
    17 years ago

Lovely pictures everyone
    Dan- your maples look wonderful. Did they go through the Easter freeze and if so did you provide protection. All of ours here still look awful- protected or not.

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, terri, sorry to hear about your maples. I didn't end up covering anything during a week of lower 20 degree F temps. I tryed, but it was so windy that the flannel sheets I covered them up with, blew off within an hour so I took them off. I was lucky because my 'Katsura', 'Fjeilheim', 'Baldsmith', and 'Murasaki kiyohime' were the only maples leafing out at the time and none were in full leaf and all but the 'Fjeilheim' were in protected spots. All look remarkably good and even the 'Feilheim' which took a major beating is bouncing back nicely. Dan

• redwingconifer
    17 years ago

Dan,
    Thanks for all the great photos. It's always fun to see how you are building your garden. I really like some of the conifers posted in the gallery. The Abies lasiocarpa is excellent, although I was surprised at the slow growth rate that you are getting with it- I wonder if it will accelerate with a little more age. Also love the 'Gebelle's golden spring'. Totally agree with your opinion on Ginkgos- I find them somehow fascinating, can not wait for mine to get some more age to them.
    Please excuse me for not popping up some pics right now- I would rather wait until the candles have stopped extending and new growth has fully pushed.

shannon

• redwingconifer
    17 years ago

Oops, meant to ask you about a photo that has some stones encircling what looks like a bowling ball, or am I just not getting something. Interesting-

shannon

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Shannon, the "bowling ball" thing I think you are referring to is a copper sphere that is a fountain. The water bubbles up from the center of the sphere and falls down its sides into a reservoir and then is recirculated. It, as you said is sourrounded by flat canyon river stones. Guess it looks better in person.Thanks for the response and I always enjoy seeing your pictures as well as Dave's and coniferophytus's, hint, hint. Dan

• conifers
    17 years ago

Dan, meant to answer the other day. I bought the Picea 'Sander's Blue' in 2004 in a 3-gallon.

Dax

• greenlarry
    17 years ago

Well, I don't have a single conifer in my garden yet, but next door has this huge pine complete with new candles. Havent a clue what pine it is.

{{gwi:613183}}

• conifers
    17 years ago

A shared conifer is a conifer shared.

Looks to be Pinus nigra without a typical rounded-crown.

Dax