Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyhorst

Columnar Norway Spruce / Picea abies 'Cupressina' - Deer question

crazyhorst
14 years ago

I planted two Columnar Norway Spruce (Picea abies 'Cupressina') last Spring. They are doing really well and I am so happy with them. However as soon as the snow melted around them in one night the deer ate them and really shaved them down. They both are very mis-shapened and one of them is really bad. I immediately put chicken wire around them and just a few days ago finally took the wire off. They are both starting to get new growth on them, except for the areas where the deer ate. I was really hoping those areas would have gotten new growth too, but there is nothing coming from those eaten branches. I was wondering if I could trim the rest of the tree to try to get a little uniformity back, but since there is no new growth in the areas the deer ate I'm thinking that that is a bad idea. Does anyone know about trimming these or if I will ever get new growth back in those areas???

I have a picture to show you, but I'm not sure how to post it on here. Is that option available here?

Comments (6)

• crazyhorst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay here is a picture of my Columnar Norway Spruce trees. You can see on the bottom half of each of them where the deer was able to eat. Also notice no new growth in those areas too. The one on the left is in the worst shape.

Any info would be very appreciated! Thank you!

• dcsteg
    14 years ago

These cultivars have the tendency to grow up and not out. All growth is in the vertical norm.

What you have lost on the lower portions of the plant will never be replaced.

Shearing Picea abies conifers is not something I would do. All new growth begins at branch tips. Cutting off and a branch here or there is acceptable to bring the plant into balance but other wise...no.

Maybe another boulder or two along with some increased growth from your companion plants will help soften the damage.

Dave

• crazyhorst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dave ~ Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. I really appreciate it! I'm so sad that the deer ate these beautiful trees. They say they are deer resistant, but I also know that deer will eat anything if they are hungry enough. I was afraid that the damage would not re-grow. :(

Thanks again for your knowledge!

• wisconsitom
    14 years ago

Yes, Desteg is right about the growth of pine-family members commencing at the branch tips. Sometimes, there is growth from the side branchlets..if there were any buds present.

Another thing that can happen is, the branches just above the chewed area will grow and become heavier, thus hanging down and occupying the area where the chewed branches would have been. Somewhat similar to the effect of raising up a regular Norway spruce. Eventually, the first tier of branches remaining on the tree grow more, get heavier, and hang down as low as what had been removed.

Just thought I'd mention. I've never grown the cultivar you have.

+oM

• crazyhorst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's great information to know Tom. We were thinking of transplanting them in our backyard where the deers can't get to them and using them as some background fillers with some shrubs around them. But knowing what you just said might change our mind on that. They are such a beautiful tree. No other conifer survives here where I live. They all eventually get rusty in color and die. So I was happy that these seemed to thrive. I hate to blame the deer because I enjoy having them around and after all they lived here before we did. Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it!

• dcsteg
    14 years ago

In the case of this cultivar it grows in a narrow columnar fashion. Branches extend upward as they grow and never at any time except when pushing new growth will branches tend to weep. As they harden off they resume their upward growth habit.

The area in question with the damage will never fill in.

Several other selections you could try is Pinus cembra 'Chalet'. A selection that develops into a dense column with a rounded top; grows about 15 cm per year; foliage is a soft, bluish green; Of course I am sure the Deer will like it also. You would have to screen every winter.
    {{gwi:737411}}

Another but growing completely in the weeping form is Picea glauca 'Pendula'. Would be a good fit for the confinds provided for it to grow in.
    {{gwi:737412}}

Dave

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!