Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botanybabe

Narrow spruce?

botanybabe
15 years ago

Hello folks,

I'm a conifer admirer, but don't know much about the cultivars. My sister likes Colorado Blue Spruces but the spot she's got is going to be too narrow in 20 years. Is there a nice blue conifer that is narrower than a blue spruce at maturity, but still has a bit of a skirt on it?

I'd like to be able to tell her a possibility or two and where she might get it. Your suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Lainey

Comments (17)

• bunkers
    15 years ago

I really like the 'Bakeri' cultivar ... nice blue color and better for smaller spaces. I also reccomend a larger 'baby blue eyes' ... great color and form. Somewhat bigger than Bakeri.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Picea omorika (Serbian Spruce) is the narrowest.

Resin

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

Quote: "but the spot she's got is going to be too narrow in 20 years"

How narrow is the spot?

Dave

• bunkers
    15 years ago

I've heard that is depends on what variety of serbian spruce you get ... on how wide it will eventally grow.

I can only tell you that the ones I have are skinny little things at 5' ... and much less dense than the Bakeri. I hope they can survive in Colorado.

I really think the Bakeri will never outgrow the spot like a regular blue spruce would ... but they also have some shape and fullness on the bottom ... i.e. not totally columnar popsicle like.

The Baby Blue Eyes would also be a good choice, but start bigger since they grow really slow.

• cascadians
    15 years ago

Saw some columnar Norway Spruce that were gorgeous, Picea abies 'cupressina'

• botanybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks folks,

I have sent your suggestions to my sister and she is most appreciative. The spot is about 15'x 12'. She really likes the Baby Blue Eyes and the Cupressina so she'll probably get one of those. You guys are great.

Thanks,

Lainey

• flattie
    15 years ago

Resin is right.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

cascadians, thanks for posting the nice pic of Picea abies 'cupressina' ... I have some on hold for me and these will look great along the driveway.

Terry

• cascadians
    15 years ago

Terry, you are very welcome. Spruceman here got me interested in Norway Spruce as a great tree/s for my yard, and I ran across the Cupressina in a nursery that had no regular Norways, so looked it up. The young trees were really striking and so are the mature ones. I ended up looking for and buying 2 regular Norway Spruce because I put them where I want to block out icky neighbors and want a massive curtain of dark green between me and them. Really don't have the room, should have bought 2 Cupressinas but am too impatient to block those neighbors.

I've found that my 2 young Norway Spruce like LOTS of water, especially during this Spring Push. Mine have put out so much exuberant fuzzy new growth that they've gone from adorable to funny. Will be posting pictures soon. Have fun with your Cupressinas! Very striking stately trees!

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

Lainey, you should have a look at Picea pungens 'Pendula'. It will fit well into the area you described. It will also develop a skirt. One of the best Picea p. for beauty in confined areas.

I can post a photo if you want.

Dave

• spruceman
    15 years ago

Cascadians:

So I am having some influence promoting Norway spruce. Wonderful! I am growing the 'Cupressina" in both my places--here in Winchester and in the MD mountains. Wonderful cultivar. But there may be more than one cultivar out there. The one I saw at the Arnold Arboretum in Boston, MA is much broader than others I have seen.

As for the water requirements of NS in your area--there should be no problem. I can't put my hands on it now, but I had copy of a study of the growth of exotic species at an experimental forest near Portland (right in your area), and NS did very, very well (second best in growth rate among many species to giant sequoia), in spite of the summer dry spells.

Your new growth should look fine after some time. If they are growing fast, they will in all likelihood, be all the more beautiful. But, yes, post pictures.

--Spruce

• bunkers
    15 years ago

I would love to eventually acquire one of those 'Cupressina' for myself. I'd probably have to find it mailorder ... so any reccomendations appreciated.

I recently got myself (2) bristlecone pines ... from my favorite local mom/pop tree lady ... will post pics on a different thread.

• cascadians
    15 years ago

A couple of our trees expired, and we're planning to plant Cupressinas in the Fall. The 2 Norway Spruce babies we've planted are doing so well we've decided the cupressinas will look really good here and thrive. It will be nice to punctuate the yard with these stately dark luxuriant evergreen spikes.

Really appreciate all the real-life anecdotals on this forum!

• spruceman
    15 years ago

One hint about these Cupressinas-- as the new growth develops at the top of this tree, its leader and the new whorl of side branches will look just like a regular Norway spruce. Not to worry, it has not reverted. In about 4 weeks the little whorl of new branches will become more erect and assume the usual fastigate "Cupressina" growth form.

I have two of these and think they are very nice and fun to watch grow.

--Spruce

• gardener365
    15 years ago

My suggestion on my top 5 conifers ever is, Picea engelmannii 'Lace' / 'Bush's Lace'.

Grows fast, a foot a year when established and I've read reported growth of 2-3 foot on larger specimens occasionally. It's a great conifer to consider.

This one is mine and is probably a six-year-old graft now easily growing 14" a year:

Dax

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

You'd better pull that grass before Ken sees it..... ;)

Great looking tree. Very inviting.

Josh

• wisconsitom
    15 years ago

Ya beat me to it, Dax. I too was going to recommend P. englemannii. Would seem to fit the description of what the OP is looking for to a T.

+oM

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH